Jump to content

IMG - Vote on Wednesday


gingerjon
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Correct Salop, coffin, hammer and nails. The Championship will revert back to how it was when there was no P&R, apathy will set in, the guys who put money into the clubs will say "feck it, I'm off" fans will follow suit, the junior clubs with the absence of a local pro focal point will drift into obscurity which will greatly affect the production of kids to professionals, the foundations of the sport will will crack and splinter and in a short time those above will come crumbling down.

Not so sure Harry. The more detail I read, the more I'm prepared to give it a go.  If the criteria are applied consistently and transparently (unlike last time), this could have legs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


36 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because if you can get London bk to what they were before 4-5k crowds. They offer significantly more in commercial opportunites than the vast majority of our clubs, including Leigh. 

IF, my auntie had b........... you know the rest, so just on speculation alone without proving anything London get a place? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So these proposals are clearly designed to grow all our super league clubs into A's but in my opinion could have the opposite effect. Due to having the certainty of being in SL regardless A clubs will obviously have a huge advantage when it comes to recruitment, attracting investment etc., creating a danger of B clubs being sent on a downward spiral where being uncompetitive on the pitch leads to lower crowds, less income and so on making improvement and progression into an A club near impossible. 

Likewise I don't know how B clubs outside of SL can be expected to compete with B clubs already inside  with the obvious gap in central funding, media attention etc. Surely whatever list of criteria they come up with will be skewed towards the team already in SL?

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MattSantos said:

Anything on the proposed calendar changes?

Other than a May Cup Final, i haven't seen anything.

Mid Season international

Aligned seasons between us and Australia

October end-of-season internationals

A "narrative" season

  • Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

IF, my auntie had b........... you know the rest, so just on speculation alone without proving anything London get a place? 

They have an academy in the largest city in the UK, they are playing in a modern stadium with a catchment area of about 250k. IMG will look at that and think we can grow that. There´s no growing Leigh I am afraid above the 6k you will get (I still think you offer more than some teams in SL right now from a TV point of view). It´s just business sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

What sports?

It's a new one on me. I'm all for a good prize for winning the comp, but the natural conclusion of the point is that if players minds are focused then we don't need to worry about IMG and their digital, broadcasting, branding, sales expertise etc. 

Focused players minds is the solution. Who knew? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

'Category A’ clubs will be guaranteed participation in the top tier whilst ‘Category B' clubs will be re-assessed annually with the highest-ranking clubs occupying the remaining slots in the top tier.

So you can finish above a Category A team and still get removed from the top tier.

That is not what sport is about.  There have to be consequences and rewards for on field performances.

Does this mean if a category A team like Wire have future dreadful seasons it DOESN'T MATTER,  they won't be relegated?!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

And they were doing so well until that bit....

Bleeding eck 😳 I didn't know the Rugby League old boys worked for IMG 

Maybe they should be made to pay a bond to play in the CC

Do KR and Wakey for example have to play a % of domestic players.

The reason Catalans started dropping French players was because of the reintroduction of relegation. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

So these proposals are clearly designed to grow all our super league clubs into A's but in my opinion could have the opposite effect. Due to having the certainty of being in SL regardless A clubs will obviously have a huge advantage when it comes to recruitment, attracting investment etc., creating a danger of B clubs being sent on a downward spiral where being uncompetitive on the pitch leads to lower crowds, less income and so on making improvement and progression into an A club near impossible. 

Likewise I don't know how B clubs outside of SL can be expected to compete with B clubs already inside  with the obvious gap in central funding, media attention etc. Surely whatever list of criteria they come up with will be skewed towards the team already in SL?

 

 

On the thread discussing the recent podcast with one of IMG's leadership, there was mention of them wanting to create an environment where owners felt confident or encouraged to invest. Surely this is the manifestation of that? If you invest in the club to the standard necessary to receive an A grade, then the risk associated with that investment is seriously reduced? 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

I don't agree. For example magic quarters could involve various other showcase events around the whole game as a celebration. Ladies Final? Championship 9's. Wheelchair? 4 weeks is plenty of time for the floating fan. 

Or we just go to Hudds Salford because that's our club, which you imply is more important.

The Ladies Final moving from on the card on finals day (hopefully it becomes a standalone event) to being an undercard of the quarter finals is a terrible suggestion.

Does anybody want a Championship 9s?

You know they play wheelchair rugby in a hall not on grass, right?

Magic Weekend is announced probably in excess of six months before the weekend begins, giving “floating fans” and fans of clubs enough time to organise travel, tickets, spending money and hotels (if necessary). As I said in my original post, I think Magic could be done so much better, in a way that entices people to stay within the stadium or to attract people who will stay inside a stadium instead of the demographic of 40-55 year old’s getting steaming with watching their club sandwiched into their day drinking session. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Why?

I haven't understood it all to be honest. Are you able to do a summary please - I remember you did one for me on some Brexit issue which was surprisingly well balanced. 🙂

It sounds as if you see positives for Batley and other teams? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This whole report is nothing more than fancy corporate speak and cliche. It tells you absolutely nothing, means absolutely nothing. Not one single fact or financial detail. 

Looks like IMG have passed this over to an under graduate on work experience to compile. I really don't understand how any one could take any of these absurdly vague suggestions seriously.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

So a September Grand Final? A shorter season or an earlier start..

Removal of loop fixtures suggests, possibly, both.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The Ladies Final moving from on the card on finals day (hopefully it becomes a standalone event) to being an undercard of the quarter finals is a terrible suggestion.

Does anybody want a Championship 9s?

You know they play wheelchair rugby in a hall not on grass, right?

Magic Weekend is announced probably in excess of six months before the weekend begins, giving “floating fans” and fans of clubs enough time to organise travel, tickets, spending money and hotels (if necessary). As I said in my original post, I think Magic could be done so much better, in a way that entices people to stay within the stadium or to attract people who will stay inside a stadium instead of the demographic of 40-55 year old’s getting steaming with watching their club sandwiched into their day drinking session. 

Do you bump into a lot of stuff?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...