Derek Beaumont: Leigh will win SL or Challenge Cup in 3-5 years

3 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Can't be talking about Salford then as we're a large Northern city.😁

I think Leigh's main issue will be getting in the British players good enough to complement some of their talented overseas "stars". The ones they currently have aren't good enough and have been surplus to requirements at other (often bottom end) SL clubs (Brand, Chamberlain, Mellor, Wardle etc). A couple of names mentioned already are solid if unspectacular and are they an improvement on the outgoing players? Unless Lam Sr is capable of getting another 10-15% out of them then I can't see them filling the gaps that have been left by the outgoing players. From his time at Wigan there has to be question marks over whether he can do that.

The only way I can see them strengthening their homegrown talent pool is by enticing players away from their current clubs with transfer fees and fairly hefty wage increases. 

I'm not necessarily talking about Leigh's ability to compete at the highest level in SL, but I do think they have the strongest promoted team I've seen in some time and 'solid if unspectacular' may be enough.  My point is more about the bile spurted by so many about why should Leigh even have the opportunity and complaining about every aspect of them as a club and a team.  I'm a Featherstone fan, so I've certainly no affinity for Leigh, but I want all clubs to do well (I don't even hate Cas, but don't tell anyone), We are a minority sport with a massive chip on our shoulder and the last thing we can afford to do is fight amongst ourselves.

I appreciate some of the stuff is tongue in cheek (although it can be hard to tell in written form) and some of our Leyther bretheren can be a bit prickly (I use the term advisedly), but is there any wonder with some of the things being aimed at their club?  One thing that always occurs to me is the 'punching down' thing, fans of SL clubs belittling Championship clubs smacks of a poor attitude, but that's just my opinion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Isn't it? Where is it then ?

Illawarra is the region south of Sydney. Illawarra Steelers & St George (southern suburbs of Sydney) merged in 1999 and now play in Wollongong, which is a city in Illawarra with a population of around 300k (similar to Salford & Wakefield).

DISCLAIMER: This is all knowledge dredged from my massive brain and definitely nothing to do with me reading any pages from a certain internet knowledge sharing site.😇

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I'm not necessarily talking about Leigh's ability to compete at the highest level in SL, but I do think they have the strongest promoted team I've seen in some time and 'solid if unspectacular' may be enough.  My point is more about the bile spurted by so many about why should Leigh even have the opportunity and complaining about every aspect of them as a club and a team.  I'm a Featherstone fan, so I've certainly no affinity for Leigh, but I want all clubs to do well (I don't even hate Cas, but don't tell anyone), We are a minority sport with a massive chip on our shoulder and the last thing we can afford to do is fight amongst ourselves.

I appreciate some of the stuff is tongue in cheek (although it can be hard to tell in written form) and some of our Leyther bretheren can be a bit prickly (I use the term advisedly), but is there any wonder with some of the things being aimed at their club?  One thing that always occurs to me is the 'punching down' thing, fans of SL clubs belittling Championship clubs smacks of a poor attitude, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think everyone is putting them down tbh just being realistic about their chances (yes I know some are just WUM's and love stirring the pot). They've been way too good for the Championship this year but they've now got to undergo a fairly hefty overhaul to get themselves in a position to stay up next season. There are always a couple of clubs vulnerable at the bottom end of SL but Leigh will need more than they've currently got to survive (without the help of IMG etc). Having a wealthy backer will give them a chance though IF they can get the right additions in to strengthen the squad.

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

The issue is none of the clubs outside the heartlands aside from Catalans have been able to be sustainable in SL when given their opportunity. London, Toronto, Crusaders, PSG all failures in the top flight. You can only grow the game outside the heartlands if there are clubs equal to or better than the ones in the heartlands. Creating and throwing these teams into SL just for 'image' if they fail soon after is pointless.

In my view asides from The Crusaders they were all set up for failure....including London 

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yep I know, that´s why you want new clubs coming in to be able to push towards an 8k average to raise the bar. Toulouse could, Wakefield can improve but hard to see where someone else would get close. So for me it´s about clubs being in stadiums appropriate to their size so it´s actually televisable. 

Catalan average 8000, that isn´t close to the four teams you mentioned, it´s thousands ahead. The three weakest are Wakefield, Salford and Giants. One is improving (Wakey) , one might improve (Salford if they actually get the ground to generate rev) and one can´t improve (Giants are trapped in that box). So those are the three at risk and over the next couple of years those are the teams that need to shape up or get mpoved aside to give someone else a crack. 

Agreed. Featherstone averaged 5226 last year in the Championship (more than the bottom 4 of SL) with a capacity of under 7,000. 

1 minute ago, SalfordSlim said:

I don't think everyone is putting them down tbh just being realistic about their chances (yes I know some are just WUM's and love stirring the pot). They've been way too good for the Championship this year but they've now got to undergo a fairly hefty overhaul to get themselves in a position to stay up next season. There are always a couple of clubs vulnerable at the bottom end of SL but Leigh will need more than they've currently got to survive (without the help of IMG etc). Having a wealthy backer will give them a chance though IF they can get the right additions in to strengthen the squad.

Absolutely and if the rumours are true, there are a few to be announced.  I've no horse in the race (for now, but fingers crossed), but as others have said on other threads, we need more strong clubs and any who look like they could get there should be encouraged.  Derek doesn't seem to help himself with some of his antics, but you can only think his heart is in the right place.

3 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Agreed. Featherstone averaged 5226 last year in the Championship (more than the bottom 4 of SL) with a capacity of under 7,000. 

Really, fev averaged 5000 , where´s that stat from? I find that hard to believe. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Really, fev averaged 5000 , where´s that stat from? I find that hard to believe. 

Only kidding - got your attention though!!!! They averaged 3,300 (from the crowds published on their website)

Edited by Roughyed Rats
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Only kidding - got your attention though!!!!

Just checked on the site on @RayCee. Fev got 3k which I think shows the issue League has: We have a lot of clubs who could replace a dozen in SL and would be about the same. (Widnes, Fev, hell even Barrow if they were in SL could match up to Salford or Wakey).

What we lack is another club who could breakthrough and become another challenger or big club (bar Toulouse). Oddly enough if Oldham ever had a small ground as a bridge to grow rev they would probably be ably to pull in similar. 

3 hours ago, Damien said:

If you are including London then you may as well be including Leigh, Workington, Widnes, Halifax etc.

Read the post from The Daddy that I was responding to where he was asking for IMG to address the imbalance of too many heartland clubs and not enough clubs from further afield. I was merely pointing out that aside from Catalans all the other non-heartland clubs who have been given a shot in SL have failed to be viable in the top flight  

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just checked on the site on @RayCee. Fev got 3k which I think shows the issue League has: We have a lot of clubs who could replace a dozen in SL and would be about the same. (Widnes, Fev, hell even Barrow if they were in SL could match up to Salford or Wakey).

What we lack is another club who could breakthrough and become another challenger or big club (bar Toulouse). Oddly enough if Oldham ever had a small ground as a bridge to grow rev they would probably be ably to pull in similar. 

Completely agree and this is where IMG have really got their work cut out as the game has 5/6 viable 'big' clubs but what do we do with the rest? 

Edited by Roughyed Rats

Just now, Roughyed Rats said:

Completely agree and this is where IMG have really got their work cut out as the game has 5/6 viable 'big' clubs but what do we do with the rest? 

Make sure they have academies and get them in playing in appropriately sized stadiums so the games can be televised and not look awful whilst able to generate rev outside matchday (ala Wakey post developement). If you cant do that or you dont want to, get rid of them. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, The Daddy said:

In my view asides from The Crusaders they were all set up for failure....including London 

Ah the old "its someone else's fault we failed" comeback

London have had several very wealthy backers, threw money at bringing players in but were a total basket case of a club off the field lurching from one temporary home to another and attracting crowds that would embarrass most Championship teams.

As much as some people would desperately love to see a London based SL team they have an awful lot of work to do in building the club before they should even be considered. 

Edited by Saint Toppy
  • Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Make sure they have academies and get them in playing in appropriately sized stadiums so the games can be televised and not look awful whilst able to generate rev outside matchday (ala Wakey post developement). If you cant do that or you dont want to, get rid of them. 

Appropriately sized stadia is a real challenge for some (having any kind of ground would be nice for us!!!!). Therefore, the only real option for them would be to get rid but where does that leave the sport?

Edited by Roughyed Rats

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Couldn't agree more, however I suspect you think they were set up for failure by the RFL. In reality, they were all set up for failure by the club ownership, there was terrible mismanagement at all those clubs listed and none of them had anyone to blame but themselves ultimately.

1 hour ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Did they?.  

6 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Did they?.  

No.

87.3% of quoted statistics are made up on the spot.  

• Haha 4

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

6 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Feelings don't make facts, especially when you ignore all evidence to the contrary. Chester/Lam were given full permission to sign a SL squad for 2023 regardless of promotion back in May, plenty of signings have already been made for next year - they just haven't started announcing them yet as it's always been DB's policy not to announce signings until the end of the season has passed.

If Dexy doesn't replace the players he has had to let go with better players Leigh will struggle

5 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

If Dexy doesn't replace the players he has had to let go with better players Leigh will struggle

Which players that leigh are letting go would you describe as irreplaceable or even difficult to replace?

3 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Which players that leigh are letting go would you describe as irreplaceable or even difficult to replace?

No players are irreplaceable, but remember you squad was loaded with overseas players. You won't have that luxury in Super League