RLWC Positivity Thread

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I just hope that, if his form dips a bit, England supporters don't start to boo Radley. Whichever scout Wane had out securing his services for England deserves a medal as he is a real jem of a player.

Top marks.Β 

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!" Β Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Just remembered this from the weekend. While checking in at the Bolton Travelodge on Saturday, my mates and I got chatting to the assistant manager.

He asked if we were up for the RL. I said yes, to which he replied that his son used to play a bit.

Asked if I knew of a lad called...Kevin Penny?

Nothing to do with the RLWC per se, but cheered me up all the same (he had also played basketball for my home town back in the 1980s, what a guy)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Just remembered this from the weekend. While checking in at the Bolton Travelodge on Saturday, my mates and I got chatting to the assistant manager.

He asked if we were up for the RL. I said yes, to which he replied that his son used to play a bit.

Asked if I knew of a lad called...Kevin Penny?

Nothing to do with the RLWC per se, but cheered me up all the same (he had also played basketball for my home town back in the 1980s, what a guy)

Isn’t Kevin Penny’s father American? There used to be rumours about KP repping for the USA at one point.

14 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Isn’t Kevin Penny’s father American? There used to be rumours about KP repping for the USA at one point.

This guy wasn't - sounded West Midlands to me.

I can't vouch for sure that he was Kevin Penny's dad, but have looked up him up and him and his MASSIVE hands definitely played basketball for a few UK teams in the 1980s. So that bit I can be certain of!

https://mikeshaft.com/2009/09/01/all-time-bbl-players-n-o/

Edited by Dr Tim Whatley
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I just hope that, if his form dips a bit, England supporters don't start to boo Radley. Whichever scout Wane had out securing his services for England deserves a medal as he is a real jem of a player.

Boo Radley? To Kill a Mockingbird?

FLANAGAN OPENS DOOR FOR PNG TALENT

Shane Flanagan has become heavily invested in the growth of PNG for future rugby league World Cup campaigns.

The former Sharks premiership winning coach, an adviser for the Kumuls, is working behind the scenes with major sponsors on future development plans.

Flanagan wants to set up a pathway for PNG players to get NRL experience by spending off-seasons in NRL programs over the summer months.

β€œI’ve spoken to Cronulla and St George-Illawarra and they are keen,” Flanagan (pictured) said. β€œThe aim is to get two players at each club for a few months to get them accustomed to the professionalism required to compete at the top level.

β€œWho knows … the clubs might even pick up a player or two they want to keep.

β€œThere is so much talent but they just need experience in areas of high performance and skills.”

PNG has shown at this World Cup they are not that far off the pace.

Gee I hope they are serious about this stuff. The NRL and Super League should be awash with P.N.G. players, at least in similar proportions to P.I. representation.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Shane Flanagan has become heavily invested in the growth of PNG for future rugby league World Cup campaigns.

The former Sharks premiership winning coach, an adviser for the Kumuls, is working behind the scenes with major sponsors on future development plans.

Flanagan wants to set up a pathway for PNG players to get NRL experience by spending off-seasons in NRL programs over the summer months.

β€œI’ve spoken to Cronulla and St George-Illawarra and they are keen,” Flanagan (pictured) said. β€œThe aim is to get two players at each club for a few months to get them accustomed to the professionalism required to compete at the top level.

β€œThere is so much talent but they just need experience in areas of high performance and skills.”

Gee I hope they are serious about this stuff. The NRL and Super League should be awash with P.N.G. players, at least in similar proportions to P.I. representation.

That’s exactly what the RFL should be doing with Welsh players - the occasional Irish/Scot as well - and definitely from the Europe.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Will be good to see how Leigh go next year. Whilst I would always prefer home grown talent - PNG should be a good reservoir of talent that can enhance the quality of SL.

And even at the Broncos we have old Albert Wellington.

In fact - it is amazing how many Broncos players are at the WC given how rubbish we were for a lot of last season.

It`s been great to see the large number of new profile names and old posters reengaging that I`ve never heard contributing before on these pages over the last couple of weeks.

Perhaps an interesting correlation with the power of internationals to attract new and reengage old fans.

• Like 4