37 of 42 back IMG’s proposal

4 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Club RL as a whole currently has 3 interesting parts.

Challenge Cup

Play offs

P&R

I don't see how ditching one of them makes the sport more appealing.

IMG talk wisely about fostering "Peaks."

But I find it curious they are convinced in dropping Magic. Although judging by that fans questionnaire it might be replaced by a 7/9s tournament.

Personally i'd try out a 7/9s weekend first to see if it's got motion, than drop the media attracting/money making Magic. 

If you want "peaks" then it's already there-

Opening round, World Club challenge, Easter rivals round, Magic, Challenge Cup semi finals (at one venue) and Final, closing round/Hub cap presentation, Grand Final.

Add the mid season international (hopefully a Bastille Day clash in France), possibly a 7/9s weekend and October internationals/World Cup.

And then there is themed rounds-heritage/veterans/family etc.

IMG are surely tasked in promotion for this plenitude.

35 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You're right, three years not four. My error.

They had four bidders it looks like.

My vague point was that France RU's domestic strength doesn't really have that much to do with Ligue Un, except that domestic French soccer has never been that strong - even when PSG were bobbins. The big money contracts in French RU predate PSG's rise.

I would argue the increased deal for Top 14 and Canal´s Pivot to anything but French Football League, which has been confirmed with them saying they wont be bidding when the rights come up in two years is why they gave French RU a big increase. 

They are betting on FRU for the medium term. Once they get their cash freed up from the Football deal they are trapped in and tried to get out of , they are going to send another slice of that to Top 14. The market you´re in does matter hugely and its why people in Australia have very little worthwhile advice to give about going up against an international juggernaunt because their main rival is even more limited in reach than league is. 

Edited by ShropshireBull
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

IMG talk wisely about fostering "Peaks."

But I find it curious they are convinced in dropping Magic. Although judging by that fans questionnaire it might be replaced by a 7/9s tournament.

Personally i'd try out a 7/9s weekend first to see if it's got motion, than drop the media attracting/money making Magic. 

If you want "peaks" then it's already there-

Opening round, World Club challenge, Easter rivals round, Magic, Challenge Cup semi finals (at one venue) and Final, closing round/Hub cap presentation, Grand Final.

Add the mid season international (hopefully a Bastille Day clash in France), possibly a 7/9s weekend and October internationals/World Cup.

And then there is themed rounds-heritage/veterans/family etc.

IMG are surely tasked in promotion for this plenitude.

Interesting their focus is on internationals, challenge cup (I,E , events that will be FTA) seems to be a slight sign they are trying to ween themselves off complete sky dependency, which will take time. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sitona said:

What’s the point of a mid season 7/9s? Most clubs wouldn’t want to risk injuries in a meaningless competition. Can only see it as an academy competition as a showcase of young talent.

Well if you recall that questionnaire spoke about such a tournament based on regional, rather than club teams ala the Hundred.

Not sure about that?

Edited by idrewthehaggis

20 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Then that truly is disgusting , you either have full on ' on field ' , or you have full on ' off field ' , mixing doesn't work , so now where the game was split in 2 under the last licencing , it's now fractured into several bits this time 

Wasn’t in the IMG report the ultimate aim was to get 14 clubs with A licences giving us 26 matches with the much preferred 13 home fixtures. But what if we get to 16 A’s. That gives 30 fixtures. Do we then have the opposite problem of loop fixtures?!!

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because association football as a tv proposition in France is dead as every broadcaster knows PSG win the league so noone wants to pay for it. In England, you are up against the most commercially succussful association football league in the World.

Every sport in UK will be better off when the 4-5 Big teams in Prem create a European Super League, all the money in the english pyramid immediately collapses and other sports will find some space. 

Do you think a European Super League happen after the last time ?....fingers crossed.

6 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Wasn’t in the IMG report the ultimate aim was to get 14 clubs with A licences giving us 26 matches with the much preferred 13 home fixtures. But what if we get to 16 A’s. That gives 30 fixtures. Do we then have the opposite problem of loop fixtures?!!

As we use a playoff system to determine which team is the champion and such a scenario would not involve relegation there would be no necessity for every club to play every other twice. If the decided upon ideal figure was 26 league fixtures then we just stay with that. Each team would play 11 teams twice and the other four teams once. The use of playoffs compensates for differing fixture schedules causing teams (perceptively) to finish higher or lower due to easier or harder fixture lists.

17 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Well if you recall that questionnaire spoke about such a tournament based on regional, rather than club teams ala the Hundred.

Not sure about that?

That would still have injury risk to expensive players. The goal being to win Superleague or stay in Superleague, losing top players to injury in a competition where they are not playing for their home club could be financially disastrous.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Do you think a European Super League happen after the last time ?....fingers crossed.

Eventually yep because here on the continent they are all being eaten by the Prem as their own non domestic tv deals are blown away by Eng Prem so I think it will go ahead without the UK teams, they will tell UEFA to go swim and the UK clubs will eventually, after it has already been set up and the European Super League starts to be where the international deals are, the top 4 / 5 english teams will jump and the door will get shut. 

Real Juve Barca Athletico two Milan Teams are clamouring for it. Big teams who can´t compete now because they arent in a big enough domestic league: Ajax, Benfica, Celtic, Rangers will see it as a chance to actually compete on a level playing field. 

That´s ten. Won´t be hard to find a few more massive sides spread across the continent to make it viable. 

Edited by ShropshireBull
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sitona said:

That would still have injury risk to expensive players. The goal being to win Superleague or stay in Superleague, losing top players to injury in a competition where they are not playing for their home club could be financially disastrous.

Seems mad you would do a 9’s tournament and not make it internationals so you could actually market it outside of the usual areas.

1 hour ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

They’ve said conferences if they get too many top tier clubs.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Sitona said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree. It would be a daft jolly at somewhere pretty/convivial for the weekend than anything serious.

Those gradings?

Probably A list-Wigan, Saints, Catalans, FC, Leeds, Toulouse, Warrington (7)

Probably B list- Salford, Huddersfield, KR, Leigh, Wakefield, Castleford. (6)

Possible B list-York, Bradford 😆, Featherstone, London, Newcastle, Halifax, Widnes  (7)

Suggested needs to be an A Lister,

Salford-academy, more revenue control at AJ Bell stadium. (if not the ground)

Cas and Wakey-new grounds

KR and Fartown - probably already on the cusp.

Leigh- academy, keeping Degsy off Twitter. 😆

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because association football as a tv proposition in France is dead as every broadcaster knows PSG win the league so noone wants to pay for it. In England, you are up against the most commercially succussful association football league in the World.

Every sport in UK will be better off when the 4-5 Big teams in Prem create a European Super League, all the money in the english pyramid immediately collapses and other sports will find some space. 

I understand your point.

I remember Lille won the season before last.

They had a good side with a number of Portuguese and Turkish players who seemed to blend together.

2 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree. It would be a daft jolly at somewhere pretty/convivial for the weekend than anything serious.

Those gradings?

Possible B list-York, Bradford 😆, Featherstone, London, Newcastle, Halifax, Widnes  (7)

So on field performance has no bearing on your list of possible 'B'teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Those gradings?

There’s some heavy lifting within the A category list you’ve come up with, let alone the B’s. 

The A’s should be the model clubs. The clubs IMG want others to aspire to and represent the model they’re implementing. I don’t know if all seven you’ve listed fall into that category and it certainly feels like a token inclusion of Toulouse Olympique based on IMG saying they want to focus on the international aspect of the game. We simply cannot just allow for the rules to be lax around certain clubs as it makes a mockery of the system and makes a mockery of the whole criteria if we’re placing teams in certain groups to suit agendas and other areas of the proposal. 

The same is correct for the list of B’s you’ve made. Can we really place Bradford, London and Widnes in the same category as Salford, Huddersfield and Hull KR right now? Yes, London are a proposed focus area but can we realistically say they’re comparable to any existing Super League team? They’re not even comparable to about half the clubs in the current Championship. Giving them a higher grading above many existing Championship sides would be unfair and unjust. 

If we do this we can’t treat some clubs differently to others, it was one of the big failings of 2009-2014 and meant that period was always going to be unsuccessful. 

• Like 1

On 13/10/2022 at 17:54, bobbruce said:

Don’t the armed forces RL,Student RL and the Amateur game get a vote on these things. Maybe it was them abstaining rather than clubs as it wouldn’t really affect them. 

Correct. Though I doubt they all abstained. This is a whole game solution but at least most clubs ( and  some posters ) are taking a holistic view.

It often amuses me how some of our posters still don't understand the voting composition of the Full Council.

The Community game hold 7 votes that in the 2018 settlement went with the proposal that still  runs till end 2023 season and effectively thereby avoided an immediate breakaway. That's why there are 42. I don't think Toulouse or the Dragons can vote ( stand to be corrected on that point )

I have little doubt that this IMG offering now accepted by all parties is contractually binding on everyone as well. Suggestions of breakaways in the mid term are a touch wide of the mark. IMG now control the income streams from 2024 for 10 years and would be unlikely to let go for anything south of a billion.

14 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Those gradings?

So your A s and probable B s are the last 2 seasons SL clubs ? , Convenient 😉 

Or does this suggest P and R is doing its job anyway ? 

Come on lads ! , Surely the line above deserves a reply/comment ? 🤔

Edited by GUBRATS

5 hours ago, Sitona said:

What’s the point of a mid season 7/9s? Most clubs wouldn’t want to risk injuries in a meaningless competition. Can only see it as an academy competition as a showcase of young talent.

What's the point of 7/9's at all, apart from it being "plastic rugby league" who will travel to watch it being played by what would be any teams second string teams?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sitona said:

Which would be fine for those clubs with academies , any without would be forced to play their ' first ' team 

Crazy 

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What's the point of 7/9's at all, apart from it being "plastic rugby league" who will travel to watch it being played by what would be any teams second string teams?

If you had a ' second string ' Harry 

On 13/10/2022 at 16:19, Kirmonds pouch said:

I always though she was a he! Sounds like a blokes name, but then the music stopped for me in 1983 so I couldn't tell yoi if I'd ever heard her sing or not.

I have never heard of her or what she sings. 

14 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I'm not convinced attendances should be used in their simplest form as there are aspects of that which clubs can't control such as the numbers of away fans. If they are going to use any sort of measure like this I would prefer it to be based on something like 'memberships' which is largely something that is within the clubs own control to improve.

Memberships could be easily manipulated by offering a certain number at a large discount.

12 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

You might think that, but if you're right and they achieve nothing they would earn zero pounds and have lost themselves the money in the overheads spent over the course of 10 years. 

I think the thing to stress right now is that structure is only one of the many things they're working on, it is however the only one where they need clubs buy in so that's why we're hearing about it. The other stuff they don't need buy in, Keighley are not going to be contesting the digital marketing strategy for example.

On this board we're making the same logical error that the only thing we've heard about is the only thing they've done. 

I can only judge them on what has been publicised so far. Which is nothing more than a re-hash of old ideas. It will be the same players, playing the same game, against the same teams in the same stadiums. 

I'm sure IMG will have identified some ways to make themselves money. Given how mediocre the marketing of the game is, you'd hope they could do this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1