Are you sure Samoa are better than France?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Don't be fooled , once we hit 4 scores the Samoans eased off , they knew the game was gone and they're not winning the group , they'll beat France 

Yes, and the pre-tournament warm up game between Tonga and France  suggests the same.

Guess it’s hoping beyond hope.

Class almost always tells in rugby league.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What would represent a good score for France here?

It's hard to tell with a French team that traditionally has such a strong mentality and is used to playing at the higher intensity of SL and Elite 1. I'm not sure if such a mentally weak and poorly prepared Samoa with all of its NRL players can step up to that level.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's hard to tell with a French team that traditionally has such a strong mentality and is used to playing at the higher intensity of SL and Elite 1. I'm not sure if such a mentally weak and poorly prepared Samoa with all of its NRL players can step up to that level.

Elite 1 does ‘sound’ like the better competition just from the use of the word ‘elite’.

I mean ‘NRL’ could mean anything!  

I’ll go for broke and say France to produce the biggest shock in World Cup history!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Elite 1 does ‘sound’ like the better competition just from the use of the word ‘elite’.

I mean ‘NRL’ could mean anything!  

I’ll go for broke and say France to produce the biggest shock in World Cup history!

Normally Rubbish League.

• Haha 5

People called Romans they go the house

From afar the France camp looks very professional and committed, they've held consistent preparation camps throughout the year, had a game mid-season and then a tough warmup v Tonga, built a diverse yet comprehensive coaching staff including one of the best coaches in the game in Trent Robinson, lots of good signs for the organisation as a whole.

They get a nice draw in the sense that they ease into the competition against Greece after the Tonga warmup, then get a tough game against England to see where they're at and before looking for the key result in the final pool game v Samoa. The key outs for France provide the bulk of experience within their eligible playing pool which is understandably hard to replace, for the early stages of the Tonga warmup they looked shellshocked and afraid of carrying the ball into the defensive line but warmed into the game and will be better for that experience.

Samoa should improve as a team as the tournament progresses but their injury woes are going to be compounded by the strange squad selection that leaves 23 props as backup for every injury. The main difference between the sides is going to be the physicality gap, France would need to find an approach to the game that can circumvent this problem - something that could be challenging due to the mixed form and talent available in their spine. 

Stranger things have happened, a respectable showing against England would engender a lot of confidence after the result this week.

• Like 4

On 16/10/2022 at 10:17, GUBRATS said:

Don't be fooled , once we hit 4 scores the Samoans eased off , they knew the game was gone and they're not winning the group , they'll beat France 

If there's one thing we all know about sports, it is that the teams that give up during a game are always the one's to win in the end.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

58 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

France can win. Need to be disciplined. Something Gigot was during the Challenge Cup winning season. Hasn’t been seen since. 

The outcome might depend on how much their Toulouse contingent has improved from having a year in SL.  Will there be enough improvement in those players for France to be good enough now to beat Samoa?

• Like 1

The key for France is improvement. I don’t expect them to beat Samoa. But I want to see them competitive. And that means demonstrating commitment, especially in defence; and showing discipline when under pressure and when decisions don’t go there way. This what I expect Robinson will be keen to instill. 2025 is the key date for France RL; not 2022.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I feel like I might earn some bad rep from this thread.

You stick to your beliefs mate. I'm sticking to mine Samoa to make the semi final at least.

• Like 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Massive Call, France win

Cohesion is key and is arguably more important than skill.

France are the most cohesive team in the World Cup for almost of all there players coming from 2 clubs.

Whilst Samoa are the complete opposite, 0 Cohesion and Chemistry and purely a side put together with no relationship basis.

On skill it is obviously Samoa, But France have a few very good players who would walk into the Samoan side Garcia and showed time and time again the season that he is up there with the best locks in SL, And Mourge is Something to Behold. Gigot on a good day is unstoppable. French Outside backs are very classy, and the rest of the team is also very solid no real issues in the squad, however I can’t say the same about Samoa. There side is completely full with issues and I personally can’t see them developing and growing as a team enough in 2 weeks to take down the French.