RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

1 minute ago, RP London said:

the big thing is to keep it going.. what are england doing the next year and the year after... why arent we playing france next year its another made up match as one of the 4 isnt it? 

and a 3 test series against NZ... great but are we going to get another the next year or in 2 years time against the same people etc?

I know it looks better but we are fighting our own history on this one.. i'm not jumping to watch Eng v Nz becuase honestly i think i'll see the same match up the next year potentially.. 

It appears to be the Combined Nations Woo Woo Jokers in the mid season, yes. And then 3x NZ tests.

England are listed as being in the European Championship but I have to assume that's the Knights and I'm okay with that - in the same way I was okay with it being England A in the Federation Shield of blessed memory.

2025 is then the World Cup so the only outstanding question is 2024.

I would assume 2024 will look a lot like 2023. Rugby League Europe seem to be good at sticking to plans so the Championship should go again and England will be down to play four games. Let's not begin to guess what they will look like but two consecutive years of four home games would be a major stride forward.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

We are being told that we sold 350k a while ago, and that we are not far off 2013 numbers, which was 458k.

To exceed that we need some decent numbers to start coming in - but not necessarily spectacular. We probably can't afford to have any more crowds under 6k now, and the big events need to do really well. Otherwise, the men's tournament really does risk having lower crowds than 2013, with more games.

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know they are, I was just saying what would have happened if they’d chosen a load of 6k capacity stadiums - damned if they do and dammed if they don’t. Boro though, I agree is the craziest choice of venue for any event that i can think of and that’s not even with the benefit of hindsight. 

they could have used darlingtons stadium just down the road that would have made more sense

Just now, Dave T said:

We are being told that we sold 350k a while ago, and that we are not far off 2013 numbers, which was 458k.

To exceed that we need some decent numbers to start coming in - but not necessarily spectacular. We probably can't afford to have any more crowds under 6k now, and the big events need to do really well. Otherwise, the men's tournament really does risk having lower crowds than 2013, with more games.

the big numbers will come from england games, quarter, semi and the finals. 

12 hours ago, IM2 said:

me and 4 mates from Yarm are going and paid the £25. I suspect we will be able to move to nicer seats. to me 25 and a game of international footy in a big ground is great value no matter how many people turn up

also my 4 mates are not RL fans

Just back from Doncaster (Took an extra 2 hours due to the stop oil protest:)

My take on it

*Greece far better than anyone anticipated

* France cannot see them winning another match (Hope I am wrong)

* Crowd 4000 + mmmm maybe 3000 quite a few school children as well cheap tickets ? freebies?

* Atmosphere considering the crowd was very good

* Stadium excellent

* Food very good

Just now, IM2 said:

the big numbers will come from england games, quarter, semi and the finals. 

When playing around with numbers, 28k at Bolton, 30k at Sheffield, 24k at Wigan and 40k at Emirates still leaves us needing some hefty numbers in other games. I'd love to see the semi get 55-60k which would really make up for stuff like the Wire game the other night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I actually think whether the low crowds are 4k, 5k, 6k or 7k is kind of irrelevant, its small in the grand scheme of things. We need the 5 figure crowds for the better group games and good crowds for the quarter finals onwards. Obviously, England need to keep performing and sell out, or close to it, too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I actually think whether the low crowds are 4k, 5k, 6k or 7k is kind of irrelevant, its small in the grand scheme of things. We need the 5 figure crowds for the better group games and good crowds for the quarter finals onwards. Obviously, England need to keep performing and sell out, or close to it, too.

Agreed, the 5 figure crowds need to start coming, ideally starting tonight. 

In 2013, fifteen of 26 events attracted 10k plus.

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It appears to be the Combined Nations Woo Woo Jokers in the mid season, yes. And then 3x NZ tests.

England are listed as being in the European Championship but I have to assume that's the Knights and I'm okay with that - in the same way I was okay with it being England A in the Federation Shield of blessed memory.

2025 is then the World Cup so the only outstanding question is 2024.

I would assume 2024 will look a lot like 2023. Rugby League Europe seem to be good at sticking to plans so the Championship should go again and England will be down to play four games. Let's not begin to guess what they will look like but two consecutive years of four home games would be a major stride forward.

agree with most of that.. the only it is who are the 4 games? we have to plan further than 1 year surely.. another game against the all nonstars and then most likely NZ simply because Aus are unlikely to tour before a world cup (or after it).. and are we going to get anyone else?? unlikely.. 

While I know its a stride forward if they could nail that 2024 end of season then it changes next season a bit surely.. 2024 against say Tonga, Samoa and France (just as a random 3) means the NZ tour is more special etc.. 

Its why i really dont like the year to year that we do with the history that we have.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. I'm fairly certain wiki has it wrong and the games were sold as England 'A' as Great Britain were playing at the time.

Definitely. GB were out in Australia ( **** you Willie Mason), so England was indeed an 'A' team.  I went to England's game v Tonga at The Stoop, just dug out the programme, couple of pics here:

https://ibb.co/WFBwCp8

https://ibb.co/PNzm3NX

Tournament seemed like a good idea, but as usual, dropped very quickly.

Edited by Dr Tim Whatley
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

You're clearly not familiar with BP's habit of introducing a random disgruntled stakeholder.

"Only 4k at Doncaster? Hull City Council will be ###### off at that."

Cheers, I wasn't sure if it was a ###### take or someone who cant read and thinks the WC is on Sky 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IM2 said:

they could have used darlingtons stadium just down the road that would have made more sense

Or as someone (possibly you) said yesterday Hartlepool, as there are apparently 2 league and 5 union sides there already. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I know they are, I was just saying what would have happened if they’d chosen a load of 6k capacity stadiums - damned if they do and dammed if they don’t. Boro though, I agree is the craziest choice of venue for any event that i can think of and that’s not even with the benefit of hindsight. 

There's a uni in Boro. Have they made any attempts at cheap tickets for students? 

51 minutes ago, IM2 said:

Towns and cities were asked to out bids in to host games/camps etc. 

If Darlington (or Hartlepool) didn’t bid, they the stadiums can’t be used. The game is in Middlesbrough as the local council bid to host a match - probably paid for it. 

57 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Just back from Doncaster (Took an extra 2 hours due to the stop oil protest:)

My take on it

*Greece far better than anyone anticipated

* France cannot see them winning another match (Hope I am wrong)

* Crowd 4000 + mmmm maybe 3000 quite a few school children as well cheap tickets ? freebies?

* Atmosphere considering the crowd was very good

* Stadium excellent

* Food very good

I’m off to the one on Sunday, nice to here the stadium is good . What’s parking like . 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I am not sure whether this has been mentioned, but isn’t there an issue about the numbers for 2013, because you get into double header double counting or not territory. 

Compared with 2013, I would also note that we have 3 World Cups here, not just one.

And so, depending how the attendances for all 3 World Cups are calculated, we could well “beat” 2013. 

And, as an aside, I am sure someone will have pointed out that if we make more money through selling 1 £50 seat instead of 4 £10 seats, the whole game has more money which will all be channelled into the game. 

• Like 2

On a happier note, I am going and have no issue with the band tbh.

Just mentioned that I’m off to the Tonga vs PNG game to people I work with in Manchester who never speak of rugby league.

Without me suggesting it, they had all tuned in on Saturday, loved it and thought the Samoan pre-match ritual was brilliant.

Cue questions about Tonga and PNG - just shows that when it comes to U.K. rugby league that England and international matches are the way forward.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 12

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

On a happier note, I am going and have no issue with the band tbh.

Just mentioned that I’m off to the Tonga vs PNG game to people I work with in Manchester who never speak of rugby league.

Without me suggesting it, they had all tuned in on Saturday, loved it and thought the Samoan pre-match ritual was brilliant.

Cue questions about Tonga and PNG - just shows that when it comes to U.K. rugby league that England and international matches are the way forward.

I agree. While not to everyone's cup of tea the band adds to the atmosphere and big match feel. Even the band at Doncaster yesterday made a huge difference.

• Like 1