1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Greece by 1 to 6 points
    • Greece by 7 to 12 points
    • Greece by 13 points or more.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/10/22 at 14:00

1 hour ago, 7723 said:

Knowles is a good player but he isn’t as good as Radley. I know our commentators (especially Wilkin) constantly try to big Knowles up but he isn’t as good. Radleys all round game is a lot better and he offers a lot more.

I am OK with anyone arguing that Radley is better than Knowles. And indeed the other way around.

But one is not a 'lot better' than the other.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, 7723 said:

Knowles is a good player but he isn’t as good as Radley. I know our commentators (especially Wilkin) constantly try to big Knowles up but he isn’t as good. Radleys all round game is a lot better and he offers a lot more.

You're right, of course, Radley is a much better all-round player than Knowles (despite Knowles being a good player).

The problem is - if Victor scored a hat-trick, ran 300 metres and made 65 tackles in a WC Final winning performance - some posters would still say, 'Radley's alright, nothing special though'. 

• Like 2

Radley can move in to the hooker role so there's a place for Knowles on the bench. Which is what we did in the opening massacre of Samoa. 

I think the side against Samoa is likely to be close to the side from now on (besides Bateman coming in). Sneyd doesn't have the defensive abilities to make the best 17.

Young vs Hall for a wing spot is the biggest decision. I have to make Young the favourite for that. 

Edited by The Legend
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Legend said:

Young vs Hall for a wing spot is the biggest decision.

I really don't think that decision is close.

• Like 8

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Lees and Cooper have been strong, brought themselves into contention for a spot against PNG*

Lees for me should always be first choice off the bench he brings an energy no one else in the squad can.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I am OK with anyone arguing that Radley is better than Knowles. And indeed the other way around.

But one is not a 'lot better' than the other.

I agree, I think both will have to do a phenomenal job for us to win the World Cup.

I think England’s “problem” over recent years is that we have had 10 genuinely world class players I.e. a reasonable opinion would be to name them as best in the world in their position, but so many play in the same position.

I think we have two of the best 13s on the planet, my goodness we could do with a centre - herbie has been great, and Watkins is brilliant but neither are in that same conversation I don’t think.

As one of the posters I love to read Dunbar, why do you think that happens - having 2 brilliant players in the same position? Trends, coaching?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tjhrads93 said:

As one of the posters I love to read Dunbar, why do you think that happens - having 2 brilliant players in the same position? Trends, coaching?

Definitely modern trends and coaching.

I don't think it is any coincidence that so many of the best players in the world are full backs - the best backline player in a team is now developed into a full back as it is such a critical attacking position.

The same now in the forwards.  The best and most skillful forwards are being developed into 13's - with complete games, running, handling and tackling.

We have Knowles Radley, the Aussies have Cam Murray and Yeo (I am not counting Trbojevic as he isnt in the mix for 13).  Each side has two great loose forwards vying for a single spot.  Then you have Nathan Brown for Italy, Tapine for New Zealand and Taumalolo to come for Tonga.  It is such an important position. 

You can play them in other positions (on the edge or even 9 for a spell) but they won't be as effective. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Definitely modern trends and coaching.

I don't think it is any coincidence that so many of the best players in the world are full backs - the best backline player in a team is now developed into a full back as it is such a critical attacking position.

The same now in the forwards.  The best and most skillful forwards are being developed into 13's - with complete games, running, handling and tackling.

We have Knowles Radley, the Aussies have Cam Murray and Yeo (I am not counting Trbojevic as he isnt in the mix for 13).  Each side has two great loose forwards vying for a single spot.  Then you have Nathan Brown for Italy, Tapine for New Zealand and Taumalolo to come for Tonga.  It is such an important position. 

You can play them in other positions (on the edge or even 9 for a spell) but they won't be as effective. 

I think the last point is really interesting mate, in the modern game with HIAs etc is having the old school 13 who can really play with the ball more important? Has that driven the change?

Edited by tjhrads93

3 minutes ago, tjhrads93 said:

I think the last point is really interesting mate, in the modern game with HIAs etc is having the old school 13 who can really play with the ball more important? Has that driven the change?

I'm not sure it is the HIA.  I just think modern coaches want their creative pivots one pass wide of the ruck so they can have a 7 or 6 digging into the line with an edge forward as the first man play or a centre or full back out the back.

As teams tend to spit halves left and right, this requires a middle forward who can throw a really fast accurate pass to create space.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not sure it is the HIA.  I just think modern coaches want their creative pivots one pass wide of the ruck so they can have a 7 or 6 digging into the line with an edge forward as the first man play or a centre or full back out the back.

As teams tend to spit halves left and right, this requires a middle forward who can throw a really fast accurate pass to create space.

That’s a brilliant assessment. When the game seemed to be going towards a third battering ram what do you think prompted the change to more ball players? 

What an outstanding game of Rugby League between England and Greece in the World Cup group game at Bramall Lane, Sheffield. Both sides can be proud of their efforts.

Rugby League was illegal in Greece until earlier this year, so fair play to the team and their performances in this tournament.

• Like 2

Just got back

Whinges

• Britain's broken rail system, My EMTtrain going up was 25 minutes delayed, Going back a tree falling between Chesterfield and Sheffield caused my Train to be cancelled. They let me on the earlier train which was on divert but that got into Kings Cross 40 minutes late.
  • No RLWC staff at thev station nor adequate signposting to Bramall Lane. In contrast to previos events there was no one there to meet and greet fans or point them in the right direction. Cue a lot of groups looking at their mobiles for directions.
  • No badge sellers, in previous world cups there were always match badge sellers not so now,
  • One merchandise outlet on the corner of John Street and Bramall Lane.
  • Inside the Ground there was No Block FEB6 just go to the Row you on the ticket 😩
  • One Video Screen located in the corner between the John Street and Bramall Lane Stands so if you were in the Bramall lane stand where I was sitting you could not see the replay screen
  • No pre-match entertainment to speak of and no cheerleaders. Dutton has allegedly said he does not care about the fan experience, and I know there will be an inquest on TRL post world cup but having been to both the 200 and 2013 World cups, this is by far the worst fan experience.

Sorry if this is all sounding a bit clunky, there were some positives.

• The crowd I thought about 10,000 would turn up, but the announcement towards the end of the game was 18,760 give yourselves a round of applause saids the announcer and to the other 18,759 attendees all I will say is that you are the backbone of the game in this country to turn out in a meaningless match with the result not in doubt.
  • England, when the Greeks scored in the far corner to make it 10-4 the game could have gone two ways, either ending up with a 38-12 win which would have posed a few questions, or the 94-4 demolition job. 95% happy with England's intensity which bar a disallowed try was a near 100 point scoreline. I would say you cannot argue with a 90 point thrasing but as this is TRL there's always one...
  • Jack Welsby, I have been cracking on about Victor Radley, but I also feel thjat Jack Welsby is the other player that needs to be on the pitch for England to progress. I would argue that England have not produced any world class players since Sam Burgess but step forward Jack the only homegrown product IMO who is a serious contender to be in a World XIII.

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

14 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The crowd I thought about 10,000 would turn up, but the announcement towards the end of the game was 18,760 give yourselves a round of applause saids the announcer and to the other 18,759 attendees all I will say is that you are the backbone of the game in this country to turn out in a meaningless match with the result not in doubt.

43,000 in Newcastle against Samoa, almost 24,000 against France in Bolton and close to 20,000 against Greece in Sheffield just shows.the untapped value of the England brand.

The UK / English public will come out to see England play, even in non heartland areas.  We should be really ambitious planning England games moving forward. 

• Like 2

Update on Victor Radey’s Injury

Victor Radley’s game ended due to an elbow injury. Hyperextension mechanism brings concern for medical ligament injury. Most = Simple hyperextension/ligament sprain: 1-3 week return, good chance he plays next week. Fracture would end his tournament but hoping avoided

-NRL physio

Edited by SydneyRoosters

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

43,000 in Newcastle against Samoa, almost 24,000 against France in Bolton and close to 20,000 against Greece in Sheffield just shows.the untapped value of the England brand.

The UK / English public will come out to see England play, even in non heartland areas.  We should be really ambitious planning England games moving forward. 

Totally agree, of the two England games ive been to I have been surrounded by people who weren’t traditional RL fans, international games are the way to grow the game without a doubt

6 hours ago, 7723 said:

Each to their own but Radley can't pass, Knowles is just a better all round player.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The NRL guys were the difference: 

Young, Hall, Radley and Burgess all to the fore while Greece were (briefly) still in the match.

With Greece having completely given up in the second half, some of the Super League lads got more involved. I think these players will need to step up though once the tournament reaches semi finals. The NRL boys can't keep carrying this group.

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Young first winger picked. It's Makinson v Hall for other spot. 

No othed way around Makinson is the first winger picked no questions, I’m not sure if you know much about Makinson as you don’t watch SL, but he is far and away the best winger in the world.

He’s the first name on the England team sheet.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1