1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/11/22 at 16:30

I really don't think there's this gulf between the 'upper nations' that some claim.

Australia were not comfortable winners over NZ, NZ barely crept past Fiji, PNG played a blinder against Fiji this summer, Tonga beat Australia not so long ago, Samoa sneaked it against Tonga, and England are 1-1 against Samoa in the space of one month.

There's an element of heart-over-head, I admit, but Samoa have my vote for Saturday. They will just be too 'in the face' for an Australia team full of sparkle but low on grunt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChristianB said:

I really don't think there's this gulf between the 'upper nations' that some claim.

Australia were not comfortable winners over NZ, NZ barely crept past Fiji, PNG played a blinder against Fiji this summer, Tonga beat Australia not so long ago, Samoa sneaked it against Tonga, and England are 1-1 against Samoa in the space of one month.

There's an element of heart-over-head, I admit, but Samoa have my vote for Saturday. They will just be too 'in the face' for an Australia team full of sparkle but low on grunt.

I just think everyone's doubting this samoan team because of that first loss against England. If Samoa played England last in the pool stages and it was a close game everyone will be saying the final this week will be a close battle. 

Everyone forgot that before the world cup samoa we're the 3rd favourites to win it. But a under prepared and injury riddled Samoan team in that first game changed everyone's mindset.

Hopefully the samoan team turn up this week because it'll be one heck of a final if they beat the aussies.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2022 at 02:22, The Future is League said:

This might be the best chance of Samoa ever winning the world cup as it's rumoured that come the 2025 world cup all countries will have to have at least 5 players from their own competition, or players that have been products of their own competition in an effort to encourage countries to produce players and not rely on heritage players

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02ze5a9ssGSrTkWWTiJXVxUn3hVra5k2xntk1tMMBahVtLyzjLJpaG6SL7veQKWdTJl&id=100058023523384

I hope this shuts you up mate. This post here pretty much sums up the reason why those players are so passionate about their heritage country

• Like 1

On 14/11/2022 at 23:52, The Future is League said:

This might be the best chance of Samoa ever winning the world cup as it's rumoured that come the 2025 world cup all countries will have to have at least 5 players from their own competition, or players that have been products of their own competition in an effort to encourage countries to produce players and not rely on heritage players

That will not be happening. Period.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mojo said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02ze5a9ssGSrTkWWTiJXVxUn3hVra5k2xntk1tMMBahVtLyzjLJpaG6SL7veQKWdTJl&id=100058023523384

I hope this shuts you up mate. This post here pretty much sums up the reason why those players are so passionate about their heritage country

It's a great article. 

I met the Samoan rugby union team in Edinburgh in a hotel gym. They were extremely polite and friendly. A real credit to Samoa. 

• Thanks 1

Even though the Roos should be too strong and win comfortably,  I am still really looking forward to this final.

On the rare occasions that England win things (women's Euros, cricket, the odd football World Cup game) I find that their fans become absolutely insufferable. 

That same arrogance had been starting to creep into their League crowd until Samoa stepped up and deflated their egos.

A Samoa-Aus final just seems so much more relaxing without those loudmouth obnoxious "British Empire" types shouting rubbish about how great they are.

There will still be loads of English fans at the stadium I am sure, but they will be there to watch elite level League, instead of joining in 80 minutes of über nationalism. 

Maybe it's my European attitude, which is obviously different from theirs, but I feel much more comfortable now that they are out.

Saturday should be a great day for a celebration of Rugby League, and if Samoa can somehow cause an upset, it could be one if the greatest days ever for the sport. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Even though the Roos should be too strong and win comfortably,  I am still really looking forward to this final.

On the rare occasions that England win things (women's Euros, cricket, the odd football World Cup game) I find that their fans become absolutely insufferable. 

That same arrogance had been starting to creep into their League crowd until Samoa stepped up and deflated their egos.

A Samoa-Aus final just seems so much more relaxing without those loudmouth obnoxious "British Empire" types shouting rubbish about how great they are.

There will still be loads of English fans at the stadium I am sure, but they will be there to watch elite level League, instead of joining in 80 minutes of über nationalism. 

Maybe it's my European attitude, which is obviously different from theirs, but I feel much more comfortable now that they are out.

Saturday should be a great day for a celebration of Rugby League, and if Samoa can somehow cause an upset, it could be one if the greatest days ever for the sport. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one in here who has the same point of view. I get the passion for England but the way some of the posts in this forum talked down this samoan team was just ridiculous. Posts like

"Luai is overrated, he's nothing without Cleary"

"Panthers boys in the team are basically useless without the panthers system"

"The forward pack won't last long in a full game"

"Walsby is better than Luai by far"

"Junior Paulo is not as good as he thinks he is"

"Farnworth is 10× better than Critchon"

"Suaali'i is so overrated, and Tomkins will dominate him"

When that final whistle went it was the most satisfying feeling ever, because it was against the English. If Samoa gets beaten by 60pts this weekend I would still celebrate the samoan teams world cup success

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Madrileño said:

5 hours ago, Mojo said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one in here who has the same point of view. I get the passion for England but the way some of the posts in this forum talked down this samoan team was just ridiculous. Posts like

"Luai is overrated, he's nothing without Cleary"

"Panthers boys in the team are basically useless without the panthers system"

"The forward pack won't last long in a full game"

"Walsby is better than Luai by far"

"Junior Paulo is not as good as he thinks he is"

"Farnworth is 10× better than Critchon"

"Suaali'i is so overrated, and Tomkins will dominate him"

When that final whistle went it was the most satisfying feeling ever, because it was against the English. If Samoa gets beaten by 60pts this weekend I would still celebrate the samoan teams world cup success

Bloody hell guys, you have a thread full of English fans wishing Samoa well and many hoping for a win and your focus in the match thread is having another dig at English fans.  Time to let it slide I think.

As for English Rugby League being arrogant.  We have seen our team fall short for half a century.  We may be hopeless optimists but one thing we cannot be is arrogant. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Mojo said:

This post is no different to the ones you are berating.

When any team is succesful, you always have a certain percentage of their fans which have this attitude. It's not unusual. To call all English fans for this is extremely unfair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As much as I would like a Samoa win or for Samoa to push Australia close I think Australia will win this fairly comfortably.

The number of times I have seen Aussies refer to it as the World Cup Grand Final is irrationally annoying me, it must be because I’m not a really morning person and quite grouchy this morning.

i was going to be cheering for the Samoans at OT but after reading post after post of pure child-like gloating coming from Samoan fans on other forums I'm kind of hoping the Aussies wipe the floor with them. Honestly, some of the bile I,m reading is pitiful. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CiderWire said:

i was going to be cheering for the Samoans at OT but after reading post after post of pure child-like gloating coming from Samoan fans on other forums I'm kind of hoping the Aussies wipe the floor with them. Honestly, some of the bile I,m reading is pitiful. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have to agree, it is appalling, so bad I am thinking of supporting the Roos. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CiderWire said:

Yes.

For me it started with Luai's interview after being deservedly awarded MoTM after the semi. Totally classless. Compare that with Martin's after the Aussie win over New Zealand. He was gracious to the defeated and spoke with a great sense of empathy.

I hope Oz nil 'em. Not that I'll be watching mind. Fell running takes priority these days unless England or Barrow are playing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Madrileño said:

If only everyone was as a good a neighbour as oneself. 

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Bloody hell guys, you have a thread full of English fans wishing Samoa well and many hoping for a win and your focus in the match thread is having another dig at English fans.  Time to let it slide I think.

As for English Rugby League being arrogant.  We have seen our team fall short for half a century.  We may be hopeless optimists but one thing we cannot be is arrogant. 

My comment was not really aimed at posters on this thread. It was more aimed at the types who are dismissive of the NRL and the work it has done to get nations like Samoa/Fiji/Tonga up to the level they are now at. You know the ones.... they are the sort who complain about French clubs in Super League, and want another team from some small depressing English Town instead. (Actually the sort who probably complain about everything French, or German, or Spanish!)

As I said,  there will still be loads of English fans at the final and that is great, they will mostly support Samoa and hopefully create a fantastic atmosphere. I just think it will be better without the type of supporter I mentioned above.

I used to support the England League team in competitions, but the support base used to be different IMO. Nowadays (as a European) I find a lot of them to be very blinkered in their attitudes towards other nations.  A Samoa 🇼🇸 win IMO would do a lot for the global game of rugby league. An English win would have told them that their Super league model is working well, when in fact it is not. 

Anyway, this is solo my opinion. Let's enjoy a celebration of the cosmopolitan world of rugby league this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, AJK66 said:

Yes.

For me it started with Luai's interview after being deservedly awarded MoTM after the semi. Totally classless. Compare that with Martin's after the Aussie win over New Zealand. He was gracious to the defeated and spoke with a great sense of empathy.

I hope Oz nil 'em. Not that I'll be watching mind. Fell running takes priority these days unless England or Barrow are playing.

How is Luai's MotM award speech classless? I don't remember him saying anything disrespectful at all. Now your just being petty and just hating on Luai so bad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Let's be real here. The only reason you English fans want Samoa to win is because you all hate that the aussies are laughing at your faces because a tier 2 nation beat England, and you can't wait to say "who's laughing now?" to the aussies if Samoa wins

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CiderWire said:

Nope. But I did have a good chuckle at the comments section on the England Rugby league Instagram post about the weekends result

54 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Let's be real here. The only reason you English fans want Samoa to win is because you all hate that the aussies are laughing at your faces because a tier 2 nation beat England, and you can't wait to say "who's laughing now?" to the aussies if Samoa wins

I don't think that's true at all.  I don't get the sense that Australia are laughing in our faces.  To be honest, I want them to care more about international Rugby League and England as an 'old enemy' so I would be happy if they saw real relevance in the semi final result.  I fear they don't.

It is true that many English fans would want to see the end of Kangaroo dominance.  Some for a bit of revenge, sure, but many for the health of the international game.

But the other part you miss here is the psyche of the British to side with the underdog.  The majority of English fans would want Samoa to win as the underdogs whether we had played them in this World Cup or not.

• Like 10

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 hours ago, Madrileño said:

In reference to your second paragraph,how can you generalize like that ?Everyone is different,an individual. I for instance am respectful of any nation. I find our colonial past embarrassing.

Of course there will English fans there, Old Trafford is in England. I will be there to watch the game, nothing is bigger than the game.

I too will supporting Samoa. It'll be a change if the Aussies are beaten.

But remember,who invented the sport in the first place. I'm from Oldham,a founder member of the northern union later to become the RFL . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think that's true at all.  I don't get the sense that Australia are laughing in our faces.  To be honest, I want them to care more about international Rugby League and England as an 'old enemy' so I would be happy if they saw real relevance in the semi final result.  I fear they don't.

It is true that many English fans would want to see the end of Kangaroo dominance.  Some for a bit of revenge, sure, but many for the health of the international game.

But the other part you miss here is the psyche of the British to side with the underdog.  The majority of English fans would want Samoa to win as the underdogs whether we had played them in this World Cup or not.

A truly great response to that post Dunbar.

There's a tendency to see fans as monodimensional rather than complex humans as well as a sad nationalistic approach to sporting preferences and sport itself.

The dust has settled on England's loss and we need to get away from silly field dependent theories and just plan for the next lot of internationals.

When we finally have people in charge in both hemispheres who will do more than talk the talk on international events we may see the game develop.

• Like 4

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 hours ago, CiderWire said:

It's islanders in general, all through the World Cup they've been whinging and moaning in defeat or completely classless and childish in victory. Really poor. The best one I saw was PNG fans claiming refs were racist when they lost to...Tonga. 

Luai is the most dislikable Rugby League player I have ever seen.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Exactly this.

My daughter shocked me by saying she will support Australia in the final as we've got family in Australia. Now I love my family but it had honestly never occurred to me that I would support Australia for this (or any other) reason! Anyway, don't worry I won't be taking her now.*

*This is true...but only because she's 9 years old and has decided she's got better ways to spend her time. I'll keep working on her. Softly sofly catchee monkey.

Edited by north yorks trinity
wrongly placed parenthesis!
  • Haha 2