Salford FC move to AJB is OFF

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Ah, another SaRL link. Sod that.

In fairness, this is one situation where SaRL's laziness and penchant for plagarism comes in handy, since they've just copied and pasted the full response from the conservative councillors. Doesn't paint a particularly good picture particularly with several unpaid loans still owed to the council

• Thanks 1

Reading this Salford are in a much worse financial mess than currently thought. Nearly 1.7M in debt to the council and been outstanding 13 years already.

No wonder the council have taken so long to make a decision as it would be the end of Salford and the council don’t want their name on that and will never see any of that debt repaid.

I don’t see how the club can survive this season, according to some fans I know they are well down on season tickets this year and fear the worst, they are expecting more departures. 

I just don’t see a happy ending to this story.

Edited by binosh
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

"Managing Director of Salford Red Devils, Paul King added "this agreement allows us to become a different Salford Red Devils – a secure, and self-sustaining Salford Red Devils...".

I assume the tax payers of Salford can look forward to SRD finally paying their £1.7m debts back to the council and to begin paying their full rent.

Everyone is happy.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dboy said:

"Managing Director of Salford Red Devils, Paul King added "this agreement allows us to become a different Salford Red Devils – a secure, and self-sustaining Salford Red Devils...".

I assume the tax payers of Salford can look forward to SRD finally paying their £1.7m debts back to the council and to begin paying their full rent.

Everyone is happy.

SRD will be in a much better position to build, obtain investment and generate income to do just that from now forward.

Seems like the local taxpayers will be mucb happier their local authority being in a better position to generate the area and make money, than handing it over to the private sector to do so themselves

Just wonder what Sale Sharks owners make of this and whether they’ll hang around to find out. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

9 minutes ago, DG70 said:

Maybe just maybe Salford can now fill the quota spot in their squad?

I'd prefer they paid their bills first!

It's a farce that SRD are held up as some kind of a success on the field and praised for their play, when it's all done at the expense of running a sustainable business model and paying their bills.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Just wonder what Sale Sharks owners make of this and whether they’ll hang around to find out. 

Do they have any options, other than to stay put?

Their dream of buying the AJ Bell is over, just as SRD's nightmare of being evicted is too.

Certainly a win for RL last night. RU, not so much. 🙂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Is that a fact?  Or wishful thinking?

It's a fact.

"Detailed negotiations with the stadium company joint owner and stadium stakeholders, along with detailed legal and financial due diligence, now are bringing the final steps close to completion."

1 hour ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Do they have any options, other than to stay put?

Their dream of buying the AJ Bell is over, just as SRD's nightmare of being evicted is too.

Certainly a win for RL last night. RU, not so much. 🙂

Check out The Business Desk north west.

Sale Sharks CEO  , through gritted teeth or otherwise ,welcomes the certainty this move  will bring and  looks forward to making the stadium  a rugby centre of the highest order for both codes.

Small print  to finalize  but this is effectively  now a done deal . The Council will have their way  ( probably for approx £6 million ) and remember Peel Holdings have much more massive ventures to pursue along the Ship Canal to Liverpool Docks  - their ' Ocean Gateway '  -  a figure of £50 billion has been banded about  - involving further joint ventures and crucially Local Authority goodwill / approval not just from Salford but those other two sympathetic RL towns along the way - Warrington and Widnes.

• Like 1

This is good news, wish all fans would see it for what it is. The stadium deal was awful - pay 000s to play there but can’t earn a penny commercially.

That all changes now -best of luck to Salford, with limited resources they’ve been brilliant on and off the pitch !

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dboy said:

It's a fact.

"Detailed negotiations with the stadium company joint owner and stadium stakeholders, along with detailed legal and financial due diligence, now are bringing the final steps close to completion."

And from that you state as a fact that Peel have not agreed to sell their shares? 

22 minutes ago, del capo said:

Check out The Business Desk north west.

Sale Sharks CEO  , through gritted teeth or otherwise ,welcomes the certainty this move  will bring and  looks forward to making the stadium  a rugby centre of the highest order for both codes.

Small print  to finalize  but this is effectively  now a done deal . The Council will have their way  ( probably for approx £6 million ) and remember Peel Holdings have much more massive ventures to pursue along the Ship Canal to Liverpool Docks  - their ' Ocean Gateway '  -  a figure of £50 billion has been banded about  - involving further joint ventures and crucially Local Authority goodwill / approval not just from Salford but those other two sympathetic RL towns along the way - Warrington and Widnes.

It's not a done deal until dboy says it is.

11 minutes ago, dboy said:

Ooo, where are you getting a value of £6m from?

12 minutes ago, dboy said:

Ooo, where are you getting a value of £6m from?

It's in the article  I referred to in the Business Desk , Just out on line this afternoon.

Peel seem to have wanted to off load for some time , they won't mess around too much , Trafford Centre losing money and they haveother irons in the fire . They are a massive enterprise worth just south of £800  ( not a typo ! ) billion in 2022....

On 11/02/2024 at 16:19, Damien said:

Good luck, I hope Salford get the decision they are looking for.

Salford do really need to get in a position where they control their own destiny though and not constantly be at the mercy of others. A strong Salford would be great for the game.

Salford have been strong for a few seasons now...in terms of league and cup

Not sure why having them is better than say a club that can actually run on a financially sound basis

I strongly suspect this year will be there reckoning on the pitch anyway 

The more i think about it the more they really should have taken the Moor Lane stadium 

It's the correct size for them 

From memory they would own it and be able to make all the money they want? 

Exactly what is so desirable for SRD to keep a stadium they can only half fill and can't afford? 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

45 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

That all changes now -best of luck to Salford, with limited resources they’ve been brilliant on and off the pitch !

Errr....they've been good in the pitch because they have neglected things soff the pitch like development of the club .....they used far too much money on players instead of developing the club....they had success on the pitch and it hardly seemed to affect their attendances 

I don't hate Salford but all this fawning over them is rubbish 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Errr....they've been good in the pitch because they have neglected things soff the pitch like development of the club .....they used far too much money on players instead of developing the club....they had success on the pitch and it hardly seemed to affect their attendances 

I don't hate Salford but all this fawning over them is rubbish 

And by the way I also hate the way Broncos has done it too..  we don't deserve some of the good will we get 

Clubs like KR are the ones to admire 

I did enjoy the saltiness of the Sale comments:

Sale Sharks Chief Executive Paul Smith said: “The future of the Salford Community Stadium has been a protracted saga that has caused a huge amount of uncertainty both within the club and among our fanbase for too long.

“While there is still work to do, this announcement hopefully begins to draw a line under the questions around stadium ownership and allows us all to start working together to create a real hub for rugby, across both codes, in the north.

“There is a huge opportunity here to build a really special venue to support our community and develop top level sport in the region.”

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I did enjoy the saltiness of the Sale comments:

Sale Sharks Chief Executive Paul Smith said: “The future of the Salford Community Stadium has been a protracted saga that has caused a huge amount of uncertainty both within the club and among our fanbase for too long.

“While there is still work to do, this announcement hopefully begins to draw a line under the questions around stadium ownership and allows us all to start working together to create a real hub for rugby, across both codes, in the north.

“There is a huge opportunity here to build a really special venue to support our community and develop top level sport in the region.”

Any day when our code can stick it up to the dark side is a good day. 

• Like 4