Match day experience

Nige Arro

Good atmosphere last night, thought the brass band were fantastic, unfortunately they were fighting against the goddam dance music, and can we stop the music in the breaks in play, it's pointless and annoying. Half time was entertaining, understand there was problems with tickets not working yet again.

• Like 4

Brass band were great , good atmosphere again , rugby was up and down , but a great night was had by most.

And clint was pacing about grinning like a Cheshire cat .

Edited by georgeb1
  • Haha 1

Not a big fan of the music during breaks in play either, but understand that the club want to ensure there is no 'dead air' during the game so happy to see how it goes. What does bother me though is that there doesn't seem to be any thought to matching the music to the atmosphere of the moment - suspense, excitement, bewilderment at a decision - or trying to 'tag' musical stings to different players, events, etc - i.e. something for a try, a penalty, a conversion, etc.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, This Sporting Strife said:

The music is terrible. Stops a proper atmosphere from building. Bad quality sound as well as poor tunes!

Agree , stop the music but keep the band , works well for the French teams so why not us .

• Like 4

With the music, I could understand if it was music to make you feel pumped up or like the other guy said songs that matches up with the game - stuff like Eye of the Tiger, or We’re Gonna Win (Bryan Adams). When it’s some bubblegum pop dross that has no relevance to the match I don’t see how it adds to the event. Thankfully we’ve stopped playing ‘Red Light Spells Danger’ at the end of the match which was such an odd choice. Oh well, I’m starting to sound like my grandad now!

The brass band is a good addition, if they return hopefully they could play a few songs the York fans already sing - felt strange them starting with Sweet Caroline while we drowned them out with ‘When The Knights.’

Overall it’s a much more positive match experience anyway 

• Like 2

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's a start to persuading folk to attend.

I'd like to see much more of a match experience. Love the sound of brass. Taped musak not up my street but like music linked to each try scored or individual player. Any suggestions?

Great to see young uns playing at half time. 

What would folk do to create an all encompassing game day experience? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheYoungBaron said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's a start to persuading folk to attend.

I'd like to see much more of a match experience. Love the sound of brass. Taped musak not up my street but like music linked to each try scored or individual player. Any suggestions?

Great to see young uns playing at half time. 

What would folk do to create an all encompassing game day experience? 

Maybe the players themselves could select their own "try music" ?

I like the way that the players are interacting more with the fans after the game. All the kids are loving the handshakes and selfies etc. it brings the whole "feel" of the club closer together.

Regarding the general "matchday experience", Clint did say during his recent radio Q & A session on Radio York that he was going to try new things to enhance the experience. He also said he will get things wrong. People are going to have different opinions on what does and doesn't work but at least he's trying to improve the whole matchday feel, that can't be a bad thing? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TheYoungBaron said:

Could play the Benny Hill music if a bit of biff breaks out ......

Personally, I'll be a bit annoyed if the Valkyrie don't take the field to a blast of Wagner this year 😄

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 15/02/2023 at 12:03, RBKnight said:

Could play the Benny Hill music if a bit of biff breaks out ......

Personally, I'll be a bit annoyed if the Valkyrie don't take the field to a blast of Wagner this year 😄

Nowt like Wagner to get you fired up.

Many years ago at Fev, the teams came out to stirring music. When StEllis was coaching Donny, the Dons came out to the sounds of "Puff the Magic Dragon". Lots of chuckling at POR on that Sunday 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheYoungBaron said:

Nowt like Wagner to get you fired up.

Many years ago at Fev, the teams came out to stirring music. When StEllis was coaching Donny, the Dons came out to the sounds of "Puff the Magic Dragon". Lots of chuckling at POR on that Sunday 😂

Think he called Belle View ' House of Pain'.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, spanishknight said:

Remember a few years ago at Huntington Stadium when we played London Scholars, they come out to the theme tune of Grange Hill

Also played “Little Stick of Blackpool Rock” when we played Blackpool and the RFL threatened to fine us. 

• Haha 5

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to be that bloke that moans about the stuff that the club is trying to do to generate a more exciting atmosphere but the brass band (as good as they are) did my head in yesterday. I'm more than happy to hear them when there's a stop in play or waiting for kick offs etc but when we're attacking the opposition line I want to hear the crowd roar as that's what generates an atmosphere, not a rendition of Sweet Caroline. Someone needs to have a word and instruct them when to play and when not.

There was a 10 minute or so spell in the first half where I was considering going home cos I couldn't hear anything other than the band and as much as I love a brass band I want to enjoy the spectacle on the field when its happening.

Sorry!

• Like 4

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

8 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

I don't want to be that bloke that moans about the stuff that the club is trying to do to generate a more exciting atmosphere but the brass band (as good as they are) did my head in yesterday. I'm more than happy to hear them when there's a stop in play or waiting for kick offs etc but when we're attacking the opposition line I want to hear the crowd roar as that's what generates an atmosphere, not a rendition of Sweet Caroline. Someone needs to have a word and instruct them when to play and when not.

There was a 10 minute or so spell in the first half where I was considering going home cos I couldn't hear anything other than the band and as much as I love a brass band I want to enjoy the spectacle on the field when its happening.

Sorry!

Spot on.

• 1 month later...

Couple of observations on last nights match day 'experience'.... 

First the e-tickets I bought on Thursday from the ticket office came up as cancelled when scanned at the turnstile, luckily I had paper tickets too which let me in but meant my nephew who was arriving at a different time with the e-ticket I'd emailed him couldn't get in 😠😠luckily the turnstile staff sorted it out. 

Halftime putt stars game thing is over in 30 secs, needs to last a bit longer to be worthwhile, IMO. 

Lastly but probably out of clubs control, when going back to the car in the park and ride, all the lights were off, pitch black.  But unnerving as a lone female... 

Other than that, at least we won - just!! 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, ladyknight1967 said:

Lastly but probably out of clubs control, when going back to the car in the park and ride, all the lights were off, pitch black.  But unnerving as a lone female... 

For future reference the Vanguard car park security cameras are turned off at 6 pm  so just park anywhere in there for night matches, it is well lit up.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

i wonder what entertainment is being provided for sundays double header

The entertainment seems to have been low key in the last couple of games maybe it's not attracting more supporters to the games as had been hoped.

• Thanks 1