Fri 7th Apr: SL: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 15:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/04/23 at 14:30

I think there’s an element of a decent gameplan to counteract Saints’ dominance in previous year’s. We’re being kicked deep and Makinson, for example, is returning the ball from deep and against a decent kick chase, there’s no quick play the ball and then Hurrell (though he’s presently the best at it within the side), Percival and then Walmsley and Lees are struggling to make metres themselves, so we’re ending sets much deeper and in turn, our kicks aren’t dangerous and teams are attacking us with their sets from 30 metres out from their own line, instead of inside their own ten as per previous years.

We’re keeping the ball on the field with our kicking game to attempt to grind teams down but it’s not working really as we’re getting through a lot of work in defence through a mixture of our own ill discipline and inability to make good metres and we look as fatigued this year as we’d previously make sides look. At times, I think we could do a lot worse than eating up the clock and putting the ball into touch to give the pack a breather and reset. It’s not how we’ve played for the last 5-6 years under Kristian Woolf or Justin Holbrook but you can’t play one way forever. 

I think Hurrell’s defence has been so poor because of the above, really. Our discipline is poor so we’re defending a lot more and he’s being used as a human wrecking ball from deep rather than inside the opponents ten and he’s absolutely knackered earlier on than last year. 

Without Walmsley our pack is abysmal and gets dominated with relative ease. Matty Lees will tackle anything with legs but returns 30 metres with the ball, LMS is an impact player and doesn’t do big minutes and Paasi yesterday is relied upon for big minutes and metres, which wasn’t the case yesterday.

6 hours ago, Jughead said:

I think there’s an element of a decent gameplan to counteract Saints’ dominance in previous year’s. We’re being kicked deep and Makinson, for example, is returning the ball from deep and against a decent kick chase, there’s no quick play the ball and then Hurrell (though he’s presently the best at it within the side), Percival and then Walmsley and Lees are struggling to make metres themselves, so we’re ending sets much deeper and in turn, our kicks aren’t dangerous and teams are attacking us with their sets from 30 metres out from their own line, instead of inside their own ten as per previous years.

We’re keeping the ball on the field with our kicking game to attempt to grind teams down but it’s not working really as we’re getting through a lot of work in defence through a mixture of our own ill discipline and inability to make good metres and we look as fatigued this year as we’d previously make sides look. At times, I think we could do a lot worse than eating up the clock and putting the ball into touch to give the pack a breather and reset. It’s not how we’ve played for the last 5-6 years under Kristian Woolf or Justin Holbrook but you can’t play one way forever. 

I think Hurrell’s defence has been so poor because of the above, really. Our discipline is poor so we’re defending a lot more and he’s being used as a human wrecking ball from deep rather than inside the opponents ten and he’s absolutely knackered earlier on than last year. 

Without Walmsley our pack is abysmal and gets dominated with relative ease. Matty Lees will tackle anything with legs but returns 30 metres with the ball, LMS is an impact player and doesn’t do big minutes and Paasi yesterday is relied upon for big minutes and metres, which wasn’t the case yesterday.

you may be correct, but for me the game was lost to down to three things, discipline as in conceding penalties and Hurrell being like a slow tanker when he is turning  plus not taking the chances that Saints easily craved out when Wigan tired.   

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

you may be correct, but for me the game was lost to down to three things, discipline as in conceding penalties and Hurrell being like a slow tanker when he is turning  plus not taking the chances that Saints easily craved out when Wigan tired.   

I think you’re right but I think all three are interlinked. We give away loads of penalties and are fatigued when we have the ball, which means bombed tries, and when we defend, Hurrell looks shot at. 

Wigan never looked in danger during the whole match, they dominated the game, and their pack was excellent.
As for Saints their woeful, dreadful kicking game, lightweight unfit pack, dreadful discipline. I know Lees is highly rated but i don’t see the hype, he’s not going to make big yards if any down the middle which was needed on Friday.

Hurrell is great in attack but woeful in defence, i wish we could put him on wheels. Id drop Dodd, put Welsby at stand-off, and put either Bennison or Hopoate at fullback. That’s if it’s not too much trouble for Hopoate, i don’t want him to see him on the wing again ambling around as if he’s on a stroll on the beach. 

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Knowles grade D for the hip drop tackle, horrible tackle and quite rightly being punished heavily.

Saints fans obviously think there is a conspiracy against them.

Not really unfortunately from being a player the team is built around Knowles has become a liability. He needs to get his head right and go back to doing the right things for the team more often than not. 

13 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Not really unfortunately from being a player the team is built around Knowles has become a liability. He needs to get his head right and go back to doing the right things for the team more often than not. 

Not sure what’s going on with Knowles,he’s gone from being one of Saints mainstays to disciplinary liability.

Nasty player these days.

Edited by Just Browny

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

20 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Not sure what’s going on with Knowles,he’s gone from being one of Saints mainstays to disciplinary liability.

He’s starting to remind me of where it went wrong with Bentley. It’s almost as if they get the good write ups and they suddenly want to prove something on the pitch. Neither are big enough for that and are better when they just get on with their job. 

Yeah, a pretty obvious hip drop though thankfully from all perspectives, the full weight doesn’t land on Cooper’s leg as he goes down as it could have been nastier for all involved. 

A pack without Walmsley and Knowles will get an absolute pumping at Hull KR this weekend. 

13 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Yeah, a pretty obvious hip drop though thankfully from all perspectives, the full weight doesn’t land on Cooper’s leg as he goes down as it could have been nastier for all involved. 

A pack without Walmsley and Knowles will get an absolute pumping at Hull KR this weekend. 

I've heard Copper is out for 12 months - so pretty nasty!

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Maybe he thinks that Rush can get him out of any situation, given what ludicrously occurred in the lead-up to the 2022 Grand Final.

• Like 2

I have made no secret of being a big fan of Knowles.

But that is the player he was (and can be) not the player he is at the moment.

If he went back to being that player who excels through the effort plays and cut out the nasty stuff, he would be once again one of the best in the league.  At the moment, he is more of a liability. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have made no secret of being a big fan of Knowles.

But that is the player he was (and can be) not the player he is at the moment.

If he went back to being that player who excels through the effort plays and cut out the nasty stuff, he would be once again one of the best in the league.  At the moment, he is more of a liability. 

You do wonder if missing the GF last season would have acted as a wake up call

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You do wonder if missing the GF last season would have acted as a wake up call

He's become one of those players that thinks he's big time as you've alluded to also above the laws of the game after the arm twist debacle. 

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Knowles grade D for the hip drop tackle, horrible tackle and quite rightly being punished heavily.

Knowsley….Knowles…..hmm i have heard of that name did he once play for Saints ?, if so that must’ve been over two years ago or even more because i haven’t seen him since.

It’s not a conspiracy it’s ruddy true. Phil Clarke is to blame for all the Saints problems, followed by Sky, the RFL and then someone else.

I wonder if that Cyril Knowles fella knows where Percival, Hopoate, Lees, Roby, Welsby, Matautia, Lussick have gone.
If anyone sees him please ask him. #RFLHateSaints #ItsAllPhilClarkesFault #ItsJustNotFair  #LetsContactTheUN. 

On 08/04/2023 at 11:07, Gavin Harrison said:

Only caught parts of the game, fence painting to be done.

Seemed very slow at the ruck. Moore let so much go it took pace out of game.

Singleton should have got more than a penalty against him.

Whoever it was that dropped on Coopers knee had lost their feet & should be in trouble.

Saints had the line breaks to punish Wigan but great scramble, lack of support players & Makinson & Knowles making a mess changed it.

Wigan deserved it, Saints could have won it.

Didn't see Matautia incident but hopes he OK.

Quite a few fines & bans coming I think.

It was Knowles then....surprised the VR didn't act given game was stopped for Cooper injury.

22 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Has he got previous for hip drop?

Batchelors effort on Clifford only got a 1 match ban.