Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

14 hours ago, Hello said:

Sorry mate but that's a pipe dream if ever I heard one.  The All blacks sell big crowds for several games every year, and I was shocked at how low the attendances were in New Zealand for their home fixtures last world cup that was down under, despite the fact that they rarely play internationals.  Shocked, and also very dissapointed, just a handful of thousands of fans.  I hope that you are right that it is on the up, though.  I hope that if they are the main host next time then we can ALL get behind them for the love of the game to help them achieve a realistic best that they can, and give the tournament respectability.

I live in nz and RU's popularity is lower than ever before. Super Rugby games aren't has full as it used to be. There's hardly any news in nz about the RU world cup this year. I remember in the past it used to be the most exciting thing all year but tbh hardly anyone gives a hoot about it. There's hardly any hype at all over here in nz. The last Rugby league world cup, only 3 teams was talked about. Tonga made a late inclusion but hardly anyone talked them up because they didn't know how they would do with a new star studded team. Going into the next world cup I can guarantee you everyone will be hyped for the Samoan and Tongan team. I remember the RU would cup being held in NZ and it was hyped because the Samoan and Tongan fans hyping the tournament up. Now the Samoan and Tongan fans have almost lost interest in RU completely because of Rugby League. It is a pipe dream that Rugby League will over take RU in nz. But the pacific island fans are definitely dropping in RU.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Playing a RLWC in Qatar makes as much sense as having a super league club on the other side of the world…it will never happen, nobody is stupid enough to do that …..oh wait…..

the IRL

spacer.png

Edited by RP London

38 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The inclusive side of the World Cup would be ended by any tournament in Qatar and if there is any truth in the rumour, it’s a straight choice between inclusivity or cash. 

and again.. the IRL

spacer.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

Now South Africa has supposedly put in a bid !! This really is getting utterly ridiculous- even for RL !!!

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2023/may/17/qatar-steps-up-to-join-bidders-for-next-rugby-league-world-cup-in-2025

and Fiji according to that... 

spoilt for choice to be fair.. 

Still think the IRL will just go with the cash if its a real offer and the heat logistics can be solved (midnight kick offs anyone?)

20 minutes ago, RP London said:

and Fiji according to that... 

spoilt for choice to be fair.. 

Still think the IRL will just go with the cash if its a real offer and the heat logistics can be solved (midnight kick offs anyone?)

The Greeks will start as favourites then.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Hang on a sec, wouldn't Qatar want to participate? Got to have a host team.

Yes the Qatar Camels hosted in London.   Just make them all Quatari citizens 6 months before the WC.

But in serious comment anybody who thinks that any sporting body (apart from maybe olympics) would turn down cash in favour of diversity is deluded. If the cash is there, and Qatar are serious, they will take the money.

Playing RL in 35C heat hmmm, must more physical game than wendyball

3 hours ago, Damien said:

That's irrelevant when it comes to sportswashing. Its all about image and selling the country positively and diverterting from the more negative aspects of what goes on.

Correct. And for those that feel the RLWC is too small, it all starts with chipping away and what better way than getting a RLWC on its backside on the cheap.

I even hazard a guess that they wouldn’t just bankroll it and pay the RLIF $10m for the opportunity, they would probably pay for people to attend to fill the joint up to give it the look they would want it to project.

I would definitely consider going to Qatar for a WC. 

The IRL has never had a pot to wee in. If this was to eventuate, it would be a shame to miss out my my Pacific Islands World Cup, but this would be a major financial stepping stone for the IRL which they couldn’t turn their back on.

Or maybe they will angle them in for 2029 to see if they’re really serious.

• Like 3

To me its an attractive proposition having the game in a modern city with someone else paying the bill, but somehow I can't see it attracting many tourists and with a local population of fewer than 3 million, I can't see a 60, 000 capacity stadium being anywhere near occupied unless attendance were free or compulsory.    Given the necessary TV coverage, empty seats, empty concours etc would not look good. In any case, this is something we cannot gamble on as a sport. 

The "inclusivity" aspect would be met by having the Wheelchair WC and Women's WC as stand alone competitions (which in my view they merit)

https://treizemondial.fr/la-ministre-des-sports-explique-pourquoi-la-france-norganisera-pas-la-coupe-du-monde-2025/

Amélie Oudéa-Castéra, Minister of Sports, explained why France had to give up organizing the 2025 Rugby XIII World Cup. 
    While some already wanted to see a plot by our quinzist cousins or the government, the explanations of the Minister of Sports are clear. The French State even financed the committee for four more months to try to find the missing funds, but to no avail. If France will not organize the 2025 Rugby XIII World Cup, it is simply because the organization has not found enough funds.

346137728_777434114045112_88278744024214

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

To me its an attractive proposition having the game in a modern city with someone else paying the bill, but somehow I can't see it attracting many tourists and with a local population of fewer than 3 million, I can't see a 60, 000 capacity stadium being anywhere near occupied unless attendance were free or compulsory.  

They offered extremely cheap tickets to migrant workers in return for taking part in (paid) social media activity - not quite paying people to attend, but not far off. They also paid for over 1000 visiting fans' travel costs and a per diem allowance in return for social media activity. Some reports reckon they spent $200 billion on the event all told. (Edit - this was for the 2022 Soccer world cup, in case that wasn't clear.,)

Edited by JonM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got to be Aus/NZ for me. Massive gamble that will end up backfiring if we chase the money and go for Qatar.

If it is Qatar, I'll be interested to see how much stick the game gets from the media and RU types over LGBT and other issues in Qatar. Football was strong enough and big enough to dodge that bullet, not sure we are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OnStrike said:

Got to be Aus/NZ for me. Massive gamble that will end up backfiring if we chase the money and go for Qatar.

If it is Qatar, I'll be interested to see how much stick the game gets from the media and RU types over LGBT and other issues in Qatar. Football was strong enough and big enough to dodge that bullet, not sure we are.

Yes I agree, but I think all the IRL will see is the $$$$$$$$

• Like 1

Qatar themselves will need to do due diligence to understand what exactly they're taking on.

Will they employ loads of staff to work the transport system,  buses and metro, restaurants and bars, expecting another 2022. 

50 or so press boxes at every game for the world's media. Erm...they could be in for a disappointment.

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Qatar themselves will need to do due diligence to understand what exactly they're taking on.

Will they employ loads of staff to work the transport system,  buses and metro, restaurants and bars, expecting another 2022. 

50 or so press boxes at every game for the world's media. Erm...they could be in for a disappointment.

Not that I think this is a real proposition, but if they did they'd probably play it like an extended Magic weekend with triple headers every 3/4 days and rattle through the Men's tournament in 2-3 weeks. Expectation would be a few thousand tourists, TV cameras and a good bit of positive PR in Australia for whatever their purposes are with that one. They wouldn't have any interest in breaking even but even then we're pretty cheap as international sports goes. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

10 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Not that I think this is a real proposition, but if they did they'd probably play it like an extended Magic weekend with triple headers every 3/4 days and rattle through the Men's tournament in 2-3 weeks. Expectation would be a few thousand tourists, TV cameras and a good bit of positive PR in Australia for whatever their purposes are with that one. They wouldn't have any interest in breaking even but even then we're pretty cheap as international sports goes. 

Agreed, I think their purpose for putting their hands up is to foster good p.r. in Oceania for investment opportunities. Perhaps even buy an NRL club, like they're attempting to do with Man Utd. Though with salary capping,  the sky isn't exactly the limit.

58 minutes ago, OnStrike said:

Oh god, the grievance industry will go on overtime. Could be an absolute disaster for us. 

• Haha 1