Euros cancelled

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Perfectly understandable. The WC 2021 reignited my enthusiasm for the International game, only to be extinguished  (from a great height) by the Australian isolationism.  Reignited again, in 2022 only to be put out again by this. the French cancellation and the negativity and blame-gaming of some in Australia.

I'm going to the Magic Weekend , though, so will try to de-focus the International scene for the weekend. After that, who knows?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't see why a lack of international calendar or uncertainty is any reason to cancel the European Championships. They could easily proceed, as they have done various times before.

This game shoots itself in the foot time and again.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't see why a lack of international calendar or uncertainty is any reason to cancel the European Championships. They could easily proceed, as they have done various times before.

This game shoots itself in the foot time and again.

Reading the article, I *think* it's because it was dependent on a subsidy from IRL to cover costs - and that subsidy does not happen if it isn't a World Cup qualifying tournament.

Therefore, as they don't know whether it will be a World Cup qualifying tournament they don't feel able to proceed as (I suspect) neither they not the national federations have the money to pay for the tournament if there is no subsidy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Reading the article, I *think* it's because it was dependent on a subsidy from IRL to cover costs - and that subsidy does not happen if it isn't a World Cup qualifying tournament.

Therefore, as they don't know whether it will be a World Cup qualifying tournament they don't feel able to proceed as (I suspect) neither they not the national federations have the money to pay for the tournament if there is no subsidy.

This feels accurate to me. However it is a shame that this is necessary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm sure you are correct. It's real small time stuff though. If the like of Greece can organise matches against Serbia, and countless over similar level games, then surely the respective countries can still get this on.

I'd actually also go as far to say that if a country is at such a low level that it can't play games without funding then perhaps they shouldn't be in the World Cup anyway. Maybe that would be a good way to separate the wheat from the chaff too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm sure you are correct. It's real small time stuff though. If the like of Greece can organise matches against Serbia, and countless over similar level games, then surely the respective countries can still get this on.

I'd actually also go as far to say that if a country is at such a low level that it can't play games without funding then perhaps they shouldn't be in the World Cup anyway. Maybe that would be a good way to separate the wheat from the chaff too.

It is small time stuff. It is indefensible, really, even with an understanding of the why.

It is the culmination of a long, long sequence of completely avoidable problems.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to blame rugby union in some way.

But this, like so much else, is entirely rugby league inflicting damage on rugby league.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Surely this could go ahead and still double up as WC qualifiers, every nation just needs to understand that the tournament will finish with a clear ranking of nations and the number to go to the WC is still TBC.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

4 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Surely this could go ahead and still double up as WC qualifiers, every nation just needs to understand that the tournament will finish with a clear ranking of nations and the number to go to the WC is still TBC.

Far too much like common sense for international rugby league 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Indeed common sense and is my massive FFS about this.. but I think @gingerjon is right in his reasoning for why it isn't..  and boy is that a sad state of affairs!

I like the idea if you cant afford this then you shouldnt be playing for the world cup but frankly i think that would leave us with northern hemisphere representation being england and france..  and, again, boy is that a sad state of affaira!!

Edited by RP London
  • Like 3

Here's good idea - possibly. The various RL bodies involved in the International, National and Club sport actually talk to each other using...you know...real words and images,  speaking and stuff, coordinating competition arrangements and cancellations, then agreeing a way forward in private and then and only then presenting a united front to the world.  😮

• Like 5

Out of interest, how much money does it take to put on an international game? 

Say, for example, Scotland put out an invitation to Wales for a game (which seems like probably the cheapest option as it could be done without flying). What sort of money would they need in order to make it happen?

I'm guessing it must be more than any of the organisations feel they can gamble, otherwise why aren't they already doing it? 

can we please have England v Australia please. 

nobody else matters, at the moment. if other nations aren't bothered about RL, that's their problem. it's the IRL's responsibility to, you know what.

• Like 1

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales