Fri 9th June : SL : St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 20:00 (SKY)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

Discuss the SL game between St Helens and Wigan Warriors here.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• ckn pinned this topic

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Saints win and Wigan go further down the table, possibly as low as 7th if HKR pull of an unlikely victory in France, Leigh beat Hull FC and Salford win at Cas, have we had a tighter table than this half way through the season?

Harry , do we want Saints moving up ? 😉

Big game for both for differing reasons. You could argue that each side’s strength is their opponents’ weakness. It should be a good game. 

From a Saints point of view, it depends what Saints team turns up. If it’s the one that played at Leeds, it will be a tough slog. If it’s the one that put Huddersfield to the sword on Sunday, it should be a win. 

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Saints to win, though we've a lot to prove after being trounced on Saturday, so you never know. Where or who is our version of "Sam Tomkins"? 

Isn’t your version of Sam Tomkins Sam Tomkins. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Champs by 4

We're playing at Leigh mate, see the relevant thread.

"Nurse, my medication please"...

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

With Knowles back Saints only now have Wingfield out injured (though there are rumours that Bell & Sironen  may miss out after picking up knocks at Magic and both will have fitness tests on Thursday).

Assuming they're both fit i'd prefer Saints to go with the strongest possible pack after seeing how weak Wigan's pack were against Catalans

Saints 32 - 16 Wigan

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

This game is going to be a really close, but i think Saints will be slight favourites. If they do win it’ll only be between 4-8pts. Wigan have a load of pace & danger in their back line, and Andy Farrell is absolute class in the pack. If Saints don’t have any injuries i would keep the same seventeen players they used Vs Fartown.
Knowles doesn’t deserve to be put straight back into the first team, he has been rubbish for a while. I do feel sorry for Bennison though.

I am looking forward to this match and hopefully I’ll see some excellent RL from both sides, but hopefully a saints win. 

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

This game is going to be a really close, but i think Saints will be slight favourites. If they do win it’ll only be between 4-8pts. Wigan have a load of pace & danger in their back line, and Andy Farrell is absolute class in the pack. If Saints don’t have any injuries i would keep the same seventeen players they used Vs Fartown.
Knowles doesn’t deserve to be put straight back into the first team, he has been rubbish for a while. I do feel sorry for Bennison though.

I am looking forward to this match and hopefully I’ll see some excellent RL from both sides, but hopefully a saints win. 

I know the pies have a few forwards missing and their pack was garbage last week but bringing back Andy Farrell out of retirement is a bit much even for them 🤣

• Haha 3

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

40 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I know the pies have a few forwards missing and their pack was garbage last week but bringing back Andy Farrell out of retirement is a bit much even for them 🤣

He’d still be more mobile than Singleton.

• Haha 3

Saints will win pretty comfortably I’d imagine but we’ve got reasons (excuses) and I’m confident we’ll be there or thereabouts when the big games come around. We can’t get any momentum in to the season at the minute but all being well, there is time to find that. 

I think Farrell is nowhere near at his best at present. However, if he takes control of his team, if we can somehow take the sting out of Walmsley, if we play less of Stevo's "panic rugby" , the result might be close.

I expect Saints to win, but nothing about the manner of how they do it would surprise me. This Wigan team have shown that they can put in gutsy performance in big games, so it wouldn't be a massive surprise if it was a tight game that we just lost out on through the extra quality that Saints have. Likewise, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Saints put 50 or 60 past us and we just completely fell apart. Both of those things are possible based on performances at various points this season.

I think if I had to predict though I think Saints will be fairly comfortable, get up a decent lead but spurn a few chances. Wigan will get a few opportunities too and maybe be about 26-10 down with a hint of making it interesting before Saints pull clear in the last 10 minutes or so to win 38-10.