Glastonbury thoughts

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

So what? Do we measure the Super League Grand Final by people's political leanings? 

It's all stuff for a political thread - this is not that. But those posts could have been anonymous, we'd have all guessed who it was. 

I agree with your sentiments because I can enjoy things without knowing that artists political views. But it's kinda hard to not mention politics when chatting about Glastonbury. I also wasn't judging anything, I was just saying that Glastonbury is definitely a left wing event, whereas you were implying that it was merely a label stuck on by GB news. 

And it's not a like for like comparison anyway. The SLGF has never labelled itself as anything except a sporting contest. Glastonbury has almost always been a political feast, especially in years gone by. 

Edited by The Masked Poster

36 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

But it's kinda hard to not mention politics when chatting about Glastonbury. 

It's really easy, actually. Most people in this thread have managed the feat. 

I asked right at the beginning of it for people to take their soapboxes to the politics sub-forum and stick to talking about the music in here. Most people heeded the call.

• Thanks 1

I think the appeal of Glastonbury is the diversity in acts.  

Im happy to watch the main coverage and just see what pops up. 

only artic monkeys have disappointed so far.  Turners current persona doesn’t work for me he seems to over sing everything it’s like tony Christy fronting an artics cover band.  

looking forward to seeing Elton today not a fan but he was the only artist my folks both liked so I imagine I’ll know a lot of his early stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

It's really easy, actually. Most people in this thread have managed the feat. 

I asked right at the beginning of it for people to take their soapboxes to the politics sub-forum and stick to talking about the music in here. Most people heeded the call.

I haven't mentioned politics as such have I? Only that it IS a political festival. That's nothing to do with me, after all when I went it was actually called the CND Festival. 

I don't even read your political section, so please don't try to infer I'm stirring it. I couldn't care less about politics today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redsi42 said:

only artic monkeys have disappointed so far.  Turners current persona doesn’t work for me he seems to over sing everything it’s like tony Christy fronting an artics cover band.  

looking forward to seeing Elton today not a fan but he was the only artist my folks both liked so I imagine I’ll know a lot of his early stuff.

Can you imagine in the early 90s suggesting that Ricky Ashley and Guns and Roses share the same set.

God no and I’d have probably been one of the idiots moaning about Rick taking up space.  So glad I’ve become more open minded.  

I remember throwing a strop at one of the v festivals because my other half at the time dragged me to see Robbie Williams and I just wanted to turn up to see the verve.  As it turns out robbie was very very good and we left the verve early to go and see James brown. 

all my favourite moments at festivals have been the acts I’ve stumbled on in a tent far away from the main stages.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, redsi42 said:

He seems to deliberately sing half a beat behind where he should do. I get that that is his current style, and for the odd song it would work quite well, but he's doing it 90% of the songs and it is very off putting. A shame as they have some absolutely cracking stuff.

Edited by glossop saint
Typo

2 hours ago, redsi42 said:

I read somewhere somebody describing Alex Turner as currently trying to be Kirk St Moritz from the 80s sitcom Dear John.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

10 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I read somewhere somebody describing Alex Turner as currently trying to be Kirk St Moritz from the 80s sitcom Dear John.

My wife described him as sounding like vic reeves pub singer a little harsh but I do think the raw energy and youthfulness of their early stuff is lost when he’s crooning which is a massive shame.

Enjoyed War on Drugs earlier.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

I agree with your sentiments because I can enjoy things without knowing that artists political views. But it's kinda hard to not mention politics when chatting about Glastonbury. I also wasn't judging anything, I was just saying that Glastonbury is definitely a left wing event, whereas you were implying that it was merely a label stuck on by GB news. 

And it's not a like for like comparison anyway. The SLGF has never labelled itself as anything except a sporting contest. Glastonbury has almost always been a political feast, especially in years gone by. 

Trust me, it's not. If I can manage it, anyone can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Trust me, it's not. If I can manage it, anyone can.

And trust me, so can I, which is why I don't even read the politics bit, let alone contribute. I'm simply pointing out that Glastonbury is a political festival, not making any comments about associated politics. Other festivals focus solely on the music but that's not the case with Glastonbury. Again, trust me, I was that soldier with the Greenham common women. 

But back to the music....I thought Yusuf/Cat Stevens was actually pretty good (he's written some fantastic songs) and his newer stuff sounded good.

Elton John I didn't see all of but what I saw showed that he still has got a pretty strong voice and was a good show. 

Blondie, I thought were, unfortunately, pretty poor (I was looking forward to them). Based on that performance her voice hasn't held up that well but perhaps that was a bad day at the office. 

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

Elton John was superb. What a show. Always disappointing when acts like that finish and they haven't sung certain songs, but that shows how many hits he has. 

Great finish. 

He was unbelievable, hard to believe he's 76! Hit song after hit song spanning 50 odd years.