1895 cup final spot vs finishing 6th

1895 Cup final vs Finishing 6th (Broncos and Fax Fans)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. 1895 Cup final vs Finishing 6th

• 6th Place and in Playoffs
    • 1895 cup final place

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/07/23 at 18:01

Question to the Fax and Broncos fans.  Looking at the table is looks like the fight for 6th will be between Fax and London, and both teams meet in the SF of 1895 cup in 2 weeks.  If you could only win one of the two which would you pick 1895 Cup o finishing 6th

As A broncos fan I'd take a cup final,  we are not getting promoted in any way by finishing 6th, but a cup final might just be a small spark to get some new fans following the broncos (Yes I know its a forlorn hope)

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Question to the Fax and Broncos fans.  Looking at the table is looks like the fight for 6th will be between Fax and London, and both teams meet in the SF of 1895 cup in 2 weeks.  If you could only win one of the two which would you pick 1895 Cup o finishing 6th

As A broncos fan I'd take a cup final,  we are not getting promoted in any way by finishing 6th, but a cup final might just be a small spark to get some new fans following the broncos (Yes I know its a forlorn hope)

I’d take the Cup final but finishing 6th is probably more immediately valuable in terms of central distribution 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

Cup final for sure

Great day out at Wembley and potential silverware 

I don't get why people would run down the 1895 cup...its a great concept 

We will not win any play off games this year regardless

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Why “if you could only win one’? Not worth thinking about …they are both working hard to win both, surely.

hypothetical question.. 

of course the answer at both clubs is "we can get both" but its an interesting question to pose none the less. 

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

1895 cup final for me.. its a good way of building the team spirit IMHO and moving forward for next season I think it would be a great occasion to build off.

I really enjoyed being down in 2019 for Eagles, winning it obviously helped.

• Like 3

Definitely would prefer the Final in Wembley rather than the 6th placed play off spot.

I am trying to work out if I have ever seen my club lift any silverware before (in person) - I watched on TV as we won the "silverware" (a ball on a bit of plastic) in Toronto to get promoted, but other than that...

Would love to get to the final and have a chance of winning something. Would bring back memories of the last time I went to watch London at Wembley.. Can't go much worse than that, right?

• Like 1

If the final is being played before the Challenge Cup final, then 1895 final would be a no brainer. If it's being played after, then I'm not so sure. Would be interested to know what Widnes and Sheffield's fans' take would be, but I watched that final as a neutral, and it seemed a bit soul destroying. Looked more like a warm down in an empty stadium.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

If the final is being played before the Challenge Cup final, then 1895 final would be a no brainer. If it's being played after, then I'm not so sure. Would be interested to know what Widnes and Sheffield's fans' take would be, but I watched that final as a neutral, and it seemed a bit soul destroying. Looked more like a warm down in an empty stadium.

The game before the main event is the plum postion in the schedule from a presentation point of view.  Hardly anyone has left and there are probably more folk there than for the presentation for the Challenge Cup. Which is the weakness of playing four games in one day ...

Having said that, Wembley is still an iconic venue and there are still a lot of players who want to play there.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

23 minutes ago, phiggins said:

when i was there in 2019 it wasn't perfect but it was still special and still great to win some silverware there.. i was at the old Wembley in 1998 as well so its been a nice couple of trips to Wembley with eagles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the 1895 was its own standalone event at a decent sized stadium, how the Northern Rail Cup used to be, I think you’d have to go for that. As it is, getting to the final of a four team competition and playing when 90% of the people have gone home, just isn’t as emotive or special, surely?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jughead said:

If the 1895 was its own standalone event at a decent sized stadium, how the Northern Rail Cup used to be, I think you’d have to go for that. As it is, getting to the final of a four team competition and playing when 90% of the people have gone home, just isn’t as emotive or special, surely?

Love to watch my team play at Wembley no matter what the circumstances.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It's not a four team competition, is it?

To imply that is to have left reality behind.

• Like 2

As someone who’s seen Sheffield win at Wembley (x2 if you count the CC) and grand finals, I’d say even at a nearly empty Wembley it’s a far better experience than winning a championship GF.

Talking to players too when they came back the following day I think it’s fair to say that they thought the same. I know one player who was loaned out and therefore was cup tied and he couldn’t play. But when it was pointed out that he’d played in World Cups his response was “but it’s not like playing at Wembley”

There is the flip side though that losing at a Wembley would perhaps be a lot more disappointing than losing a semi or final to Fev or whoever else will be thereabouts.

To whoever gets there, have a great day, and if it’s televised definitely record it because in my opinion the game passes so quickly.

• Like 2

There's certainly a lot to deter Championship clubs and their supporters from feeling enthusiastic about a decent cup run. Aaron Bower has written a shocking piece about how little championship clubs (and players) earn from cup fixtures 

https://thirteenrugby.com/2023/06/16/special-report-the-harrowing-financial-reality-of-playing-in-the-challenge-cup/

The extra fixtures can also be an unwelcome burden on a club going through a tough time injury-wise, or threatened with being dragged into a relegation struggle.

For hard-up supporters, the fact that the cup games aren't on the season ticket can mean disappointing attendances from home fans.

But, but, but........ Championship clubs, players and fans don't get many opportunities to go to Wembley and appear on a national stage. York is in the position of having a chance of getting two teams on the same day at Wembley, with the unbeaten Valkyrie facing Saints in a CC semi-final, and the Knights having a home draw against Batley in the 1895 cup semi-final.

If York got two teams to Wembley this year, it would be a momentous day for Rugby League in the city. I might be the only one, but I would happily take that opportunity if it was a choice between that or scraping 6th place in the Championship.

Edited by RBKnight
spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, phiggins said:

No disrespect to who the two finalists are and no disrespect to the Women's game, but we have had the 1895 final played both before and after the final, it is a no brained that 1895 should be played before the final itself.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

No, sorry, it’s a five team competition. My mistake. Even so, pointless nonsense cup. 

Well, it's a nice day out. No necessity for you to come if you don't want.

Jeez - I bet you'd've loved painting over those Mickey Mouse murals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No disrespect to who the two finalists are and no disrespect to the Women's game, but we have had the 1895 final played both before and after the final, it is a no brained that 1895 should be played before the final itself.

Without doubt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jughead said:

No, sorry, it’s a five team competition. My mistake. Even so, pointless nonsense cup. 

I would say you are looking at it the wrong way around. IMHO what we (and the RFL) refer to as the early rounds of the Challenge Cup (those before the SL clubs take part) are in reality the early rounds of the 1895 Cup which is for everyone below SL. The Challenge Cup is now a de facto 16 club competition for the 12 SL clubs plus four qualifiers (currently the qualifiers will be the four clubs that reach the 1895 SFs).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Griff said:

Well, it's a nice day out. No necessity for you to come if you don't want.

Jeez - I bet you'd've loved painting over those Mickey Mouse murals.

I’ll be at my 22nd Challenge Cup Final in a months time, thanks. As someone who attends regardless of what game it is, the fact I have no interest in staying inside a Wembley until 7-8pm with a crowd that would look out of place in the fifth tier of English Football, says a fair amount, I’d suggest. 

25 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I would say you are looking at it the wrong way around. IMHO what we (and the RFL) refer to as the early rounds of the Challenge Cup (those before the SL clubs take part) are in reality the early rounds of the 1895 Cup which is for everyone below SL. The Challenge Cup is now a de facto 16 club competition for the 12 SL clubs plus four qualifiers (currently the qualifiers will be the four clubs that reach the 1895 SFs).

It’s not though, is it? It’s the Challenge Cup draw, it’s not the 1895 Cup. Theyre not qualifiers and watering down the cup to justify the Garden Decking Cup, The 1895 is almost never mentioned by anyone until it gets to a stage where teams are left in the competition.