New World Cup format confirmed for 2026

The country to really suffer is FRANCE no chance of any fixtures at present v pretty much anyone.

* RLWC/2025 Cancelled

* Euros 2023 Cancelled 

* v England at home no plans

* v Anyone else no plans

This is all a result of the car crash of RLWC/2021 thats the reality.

• Haha 1

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

The country to really suffer is FRANCE no chance of any fixtures at present v pretty much anyone.

* RLWC/2025 Cancelled

* Euros 2023 Cancelled 

* v Anyone else no plans

No its not at all. I know you keep trying to push how bad RLWC2021 was but today's announcement has absolutely nothing to do with that. This would have happened regardless after France pulled out.

• Like 4

This reminds me of recent events in golf. The PGA basically handed over the running of the game to LIV/ Saudis,  can't beat them join them.

International RL is now in the hands of the NRL. This may not be a bad thing. Its bad for minnows like Serbia or Greece,  but is it bad for RLWC ?

What is the purpose of a WC? 

Is it to showcase the game to a greater audience,  to show the very best of the best , or is it to be a festival of RL where any RL playing nation can join in the fun.

IMO,  it's the former,  every WC of any sport aims for the best it can be, I don't believe RL should be any different. If Greece or whoever are  good enough to qualify   to reach the standards that RLWC needs to impress and engage new fans, then good. Only two qualifying places going means that they'll be some interesting competitive qualifying games which will help raise standards.

• Like 5

Pure lack of clarity from these decisions. Zero vision for the game going forwards across the next 10-20 years. Another meeting that focuses on how to do it in the short term. It's like Groundhog day.

Im happy that they have some out lay of the next few years. World cup year is not going to be in a stand alone place from other sports as previously planned.

When can we know who the TEN are for 2026?

I truly hope they don't 'undo' the great efforts of Samoa, Tonga, PNG.....and also provide vision and pathway for others who competed in the last WC.

The constant changing nature of RL's International strategy will forever hold us back as a sport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why not GB, England will be the only country from these Isles to be represented, what if one of the other nations turns up a bona-fide superstar, no better way to getting them to leave the game for t'other handling sport.

I just suspect they'll think that if England do well in 25 it will help the WC ticket sales in 26. Yes, we might turn up an amazing Celt but that's very unlikely in 2 years, when was the last one? In reality, England will be the same team as GB, but that brand got very badly tarnished by the last shambolic GB tour and England as a brand is probably an easier sell to the the convicts these days.

7 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

What is the purpose of a WC? 

Twofold.

Sporting: to showcase the global game and crown a global champion.

Finance: make as much as money as possible to pay current players and staff and to support the development of new players and staff.

This plan achieves neither.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

51 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

* RLWC/2025 Cancelled

* Euros 2023 Cancelled 

* v Anyone else no plans

Just to say, in amongst all this, the only people to blame for France 2025 not happening are France.

Not the French government, not anyone in international RL, but the French rugby league themselves for failing on every level so spectacularly. Embarrasing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If New Zealand are hosting or at least main hosts with a Pacific island then I'd accept 10 teams begrudgingly. Then have a plan to expand back up to 12 or 14 for the 2030 edition with Australia as sole hosts. 2034 UK and France. Then we've broken the "Australia and England cycle"

I’m just glad we have a WC - rather than canning it.

Ashes, superb decision. At chuffing last, once every four years not a big ask (though getting the holy water over for Aussies return)

• Like 1

The good news is that a 10 team WC may be so poorly received that it could completely sink the IRL. It's the only money generating property of the IRL. Fingers crossed.

• Sad 1

new rise.jpg

46 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

I’m just glad we have a WC - rather than canning it.

I'm not sure how a glorified 4 nations  the reduction from 16 teams to 10 teams and a delay for a year is much different to be honest. It's a much different beast than the World Cups we have seen since 2008.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having 10 teams is an absolute shambles. It prevents smaller teams from participating on the big stage. How is the sport supposed to grow. Yet still having the number of women and wheelchair sides at 8 is a joke. I was looking forward to having it at 16 all across the board. Whoever is behind this needs a kick up the backside. The game is going into reverse. It's bad enough having it in 2026. Just do the right thing and have it in 2025 with the original number of teams. You have to point the finger at France for starting this saga. We know by having 10 teams competing it will be the usual sides who would always take part in the final competition.     

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, George1992 said:

Having 10 teams is an absolute shambles. It prevents smaller teams from participating on the big stage. How is the sport supposed to grow. Yet still having the number of women and wheelchair sides at 8 is a joke. I was looking forward to having it at 16 all across the board. Whoever is behind this needs a kick up the backside. The game is going into reverse. It's bad enough having it in 2026. Just do the right thing and have it in 2025 with the original number of teams. You have to point the finger at France for starting this saga. We know by having 10 teams competing it will be the usual sides who would always take part in the final competition.     

16 all across the board would cost a heap of money. That’s flights, accommodation, potential appearance fees etc for 48 teams and their staff.

• Thanks 1

A 10 team tournament more than likely will mean the return of the one super group of four and two groups of three as Australias concern will be maximising the amount of games between Australia, New Zealand and England for television. IMO there is nothing wrong with the 16 team format and there will be blowouts but every sports World Cup has blow out games but yet it is only in RL where it is a bad thing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

A 10 team tournament more than likely will mean the return of the one super group of four and two groups of three as Australias concern will be maximising the amount of games between Australia, New Zealand and England for television. IMO there is nothing wrong with the 16 team format and there will be blowouts but every sports World Cup has blow out games but yet it is only in RL where it is a bad thing.

That's because in RL the 16 team format produces a lot of blowouts, whereas in other sports' world cups it only produces a handful.

That makes all the difference in the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That's because in RL the 16 team format produces a lot of blowouts, whereas in other sports' world cups it only produces a handful.

That makes all the difference in the world. 

The 1995 RUWC was also played with 16 teams. Below are the two lowest points differentials from the 2021 RLWC and the 1995 RUWC.

Without looking it up can you tell which team and which code is which?

If you can't could you kindly stop repeating this myth.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

How can they call it a world cup when potentially 70% of the countries involved are from the Pacific? Throw in England + Lebanon + another Euro/Africa/Asia/America qualifier.

Good luck getting taken seriously in the Olympics with 9s if that is the highest we are going to raise the bar.

It would be like FIFA hosting a 10 team world cup & having the top 7 south American nations + England + Germany + a qualifier from 187 other nations.

Sounds like it was drawn up on the back of a Tiger's Beer Coaster in a Singapore Hotel after took much chili mud crab left the people attending needing a quick toilet break so they could end the meeting quickly.

• Sad 1

I agree that 10 teams is a bit too small, but there is a balance between giving developing nations a go and protecting the integrity and quality of the competition. To me, 16 teams was too many to present the RLWC as a world class sporting event. Last year's tournament was mostly predictable floggings and it is no way to promote the game as a credible elite sport, having a tournament where half of the teams are amateurish and/or only have heritage players.

I would be surprised if feedback from broadcasters, particularly in the southern hemisphere where the next one will be hosted, hasn't influenced the decision to cut back on numbers. I know back in 2008 when the RLWC was brought back, Channel 9 in Australia lobbied hard to have a 4 Nations instead of a World Cup, for fear of lack of competitiveness - that is why the 'Super Group' format was developed. 

To me, Australia, England, NZ, France and PNG are the 5 genuine rugby league playing nations, and then we have some other countries where there is a respectable presence/support/history of it, such as Wales, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. Those 9 nations should be guaranteed a spot. After that, the question is, how many other teams do we want? Another 7 is a big stretch. I don't mind a couple of true minnows, but surely 3 out of the rest is enough - whether we go the way of decent heritage sides like Ireland, Scotland and Lebanon, or look to encourage countries where the game is growing, like Jamaica or Canada, becomes the question, because I don't think we can do both and have a successful and profitable tournament.

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Just to say, in amongst all this, the only people to blame for France 2025 not happening are France.

Not the French government, not anyone in international RL, but the French rugby league themselves for failing on every level so spectacularly. Embarrasing.

I do wonder if they had considered a 10 team World Cup an option before they pulled the plug?

• Like 1

Just now, Spidey said:

I do wonder if they had considered a 10 team World Cup an option before they pulled the plug?

I think they showed the same level of thought that has gone into this announcement.

"What looks great in an announcement and we'll do the details later?"

Only in French, using French words.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I think they showed the same level of thought that has gone into this announcement.

"What looks great in an announcement and we'll do the details later?"

Only in French, using French words.

I’d maybe make one other observation. Didn’t the French only come into view after the Northern America bid vanish also.  Why was that one taken seriously in the first place? My point on this would be, If either of these bids proposed a 10 team comp at the time they would have been rejected. But now the the countries who are very strong in RL wilL get away with a half arsed offering.  It’s just a shambles all around

• Like 4

Just now, Spidey said:

I’d maybe make one other observation. Didn’t the French only come into view after the Northern America bid vanish also.  Why was that one taken seriously in the first place? My point on this would be, If either of these bids proposed a 10 team comp at the time they would have been rejected. But now the the countries who are very strong in RL wilL get away with a half arsed offering.  It’s just a shambles all around

Absolutely agree.

As far as I can tell, the big international event for 2024 that we're all meant to be excited about is Australia Week in Las Vegas. Now imagine if, in a mirror image world, the FFRXIII had said that Catalans playing in Spain was as big a deal as a World Cup?(*)

For something so light on plans, it's remarkable how little detail there is.

And the reason for that is now, really, one or both of two things. Either those delivering on this don't really care or those delivering on this are incapable of doing so (and that may not be a personal failing but a structural one).

Everything is just, "what gets us a decent headline today and can be looked at tomorrow, gets the goldfish memory media/social media off our backs, and gets us back snuggled up in our comfort zone?"

(* Note for any deluded Aussies, even four of the biggest club sides playing one-off games in a biggish stadium in America is not going to be a big deal.)

• Like 1

So what happens in this next World Cup & PNG / Fiji / Cooks or whoever get 50+ scores by Aus/Nz/Eng. Do we wet the bed again & have a 6 team world cup in 2030 to ensure we have close competitive games.

Going by World Cup Rugby League Results on past tournaments & apply this criteria to the NRL we may as well have a 8 team comp next year a kick out st george / west tigers & whoever else runs in the bottom 8 to keep the broadcasters happy.

At some stage to be taken seriously we need to grow the world cup pie & not shrink it into a cupcake.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

So what happens in this next World Cup & PNG / Fiji / Cooks or whoever get 50+ scores by Aus/Nz/Eng. Do we wet the bed again & have a 6 team world cup in 2030 to ensure we have close competitive games.

Experience says the format is changed in response to the pearl clutchers.

• Thanks 1