Challenge Cup confirmed for 2024 and 2025

Only 2 years (which seems a bit short term) but confirmed final for early June 2024.

Presumably it’ll stay as is for the next couple of competitions with bigger proposed changes, whatever they might be, following? 

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/date-and-venue-confirmed-for-2024-challenge-cup-final-80108/

• Like 2

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's really good to see the Challenge Cup reverting back to June. That gives a nice space between the Challenge Cup final and Grand Final and spreads our events better.

Think it works for the pro game. Depending on the format it may mean more games in the off season for the community game if they continue to be invited to the cup

Sitting here pre game at Wembley.Saturday 8th June 2024 s also the same day that the New York Mets play the Philidelphia Phillies as day one of the MLB International Series.

Looks like I will only be buying tickets for the Sunday of that series.😉

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 minute ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Sitting here pre game at Wembley.Saturday 8th June 2024 s also the same day that the New York Mets play the Philidelphia Phillies as day one of the MLB International Series.

Looks like I will only be buying tickets for the Sunday of that series.😉

So Baseball is getting played in London ?

Is there a big sporting event going on every weekend in London? Or do we purposely choose to pick them to clash with?

Clashing with the opening of the PL season seemed a terrible decision! And if we're clashing with the union final next year it only invites comparisons.

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Is there a big sporting event going on every weekend in London? Or do we purposely choose to pick them to clash with?

Clashing with the opening of the PL season seemed a terrible decision! And if we're clashing with the union final next year it only invites comparisons.

On the pitch we win hands down. Off the pitch err…

On 12/08/2023 at 09:59, The 4 of Us said:

Only 2 years (which seems a bit short term) but confirmed final for early June 2024.

Presumably it’ll stay as is for the next couple of competitions with bigger proposed changes, whatever they might be, following? 

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/date-and-venue-confirmed-for-2024-challenge-cup-final-80108/

Weren't the RFL contractually bound to Wembley until 2025 anyway?

33 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

There were also 74,000 at Twickenham for the rah rah’s which must have shaved off a few of the potential local sales

(I note that it was below capacity so presumably there is a clamour on Total RU to take internationals to Henley on Thames and then there aren’t any empty seats on telly)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Is there a big sporting event going on every weekend in London?

Yes.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

25 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

There were also 74,000 at Twickenham for the rah rah’s which must have shaved off a few of the potential local sales

(I note that it was below capacity so presumably there is a clamour on Total RU to take internationals to Henley on Thames and then there aren’t any empty seats on telly)

hindle xv is a right laugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The only way this event will grow is if it’s fixed in the diary.  We’ve had too many changes over the past decade. I don’t personally like June but will get over it - but for me I need to know when it’s going to be every year. My fault but it took me off guard being middle of August this year. It was a pointless move away from the Bank Holiday weekend which has been a more regular date in the diary

• Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 17:38, Phil W said:

Same day as the Premiership rugby final at Twickenham, shame I wouldn't be able to do both!

Well, I run a trip from the north but every year a mate of mine from London brings a bunch of mates who all follow union, 13 this year. Will be interesting to see which game they want to go to 

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

6 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I don’t think a baseball game or union game will affect the challenge cup final crowds much tbf. I’m pleased it’s on June 8th though, not in the school holidays and no football to clash with as the Euros won’t start until the next week. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JT RL said:

Why not shift it back to the 2nd weekend in May .. when it was historically always played. Pretty clear calendar then. 

I remember it being the first weekend, some dates looking back were actually in April. That worked with a winter season but would be far to early in the summer

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think a baseball game or union game will affect the challenge cup final crowds much tbf. I’m pleased it’s on June 8th though, not in the school holidays and no football to clash with as the Euros won’t start until the next week. 

I do think union would have a slight effect with potential local sales but maybe less so than a RU international 

17 minutes ago, JT RL said:

Why not shift it back to the 2nd weekend in May .. when it was historically always played. Pretty clear calendar then. 

Hard to see how you’d fit all the rounds in then though (particularly as I feel the SL clubs already enter a round too late)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I do think union would have a slight effect with potential local sales but maybe less so than a RU international 

Hard to see how you’d fit all the rounds in then though (particularly as I feel the SL clubs already enter a round too late)

You could have a round before the start of the SL season, though admittedly it would mean the amateur sides would have to start really early. 

36 minutes ago, JT RL said:

Because football has the stadium booked solid in May now

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)