If…….

16 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The ranking in the 2nd link is based solely on 'finishing' position: Cas higher than the 2 Hull clubs, really?

I would think when the other criteria are factored in, they would be below both Hull teams, even including proximity to other teams. I think the 14 will still be close, if not those as listed.

Edited by The 4 of Us

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

17 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

What are the arguments against having 14 or even 16 teams.

Finance, player pool. State of grounds to some extent. Not impossible to overcome - but in the long term rather than short 

Edited by Griff
  • Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

For the existing SL clubs it's a reduction in their central funding by splitting the pie into more pieces. Which is short sighted as you are growing the customer base.

Competitively, are there another 40 to 50 SL capable players available. I'd say maybe as long as the majority aren't in the same couple of teams

• Thanks 2

I guess if you've got weaker players and weaker teams, it means less of a challenge for our better players. So when they have to play the likes of Australia, it will be an even bigger leap in quality.

Would that maybe be an argument for having an origin series, in order to test the very best against each other?

• Haha 1

The player pool drain is the biggest myth out.

Between the Championship, Qld and NSW Cup, fringe NRL players and better scouting PNG there is more than enough players to go around for another 10 SL teams.

• Like 9

new rise.jpg

7 hours ago, Pulga said:

The player pool drain is the biggest myth out.

Between the Championship, Qld and NSW Cup, fringe NRL players and better scouting PNG there is more than enough players to go around for another 10 SL teams.

You need quality as well as quantity.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

11 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

…this

and this… https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-img-performance-criteria-26477562

are close to accurate, are Sky going to ask why wait until 2025?

I *suspect* what has gone on is that the clubs have discussed changing the structure of the season and that has included discussion of removing the loop fixtures.

This is based on *well, that's what they've been saying they will do in every IMG/structure related release for a while now*.

I suspect, based on previous experience, that Mick has leapt on this to mean something else, specifically the only way to remove loop fixtures is to increase the top division size, whereas that is one option but, as our endless chats about group games, new competition etc show, it is not the only one and it is not one that has been indicated in any recent RFL/IMG briefing.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I *suspect* what has gone on is that the clubs have discussed changing the structure of the season and that has included discussion of removing the loop fixtures.

This is based on *well, that's what they've been saying they will do in every IMG/structure related release for a while now*.

I suspect, based on previous experience, that Mick has leapt on this to mean something else, specifically the only way to remove loop fixtures is to increase the top division size, whereas that is one option but, as our endless chats about group games, new competition etc show, it is not the only one and it is not one that has been indicated in any recent RFL/IMG briefing.

Absolutely, but I thing from the IMG survey, it was clear that the loop situation was one of, if not the top concern for fans. 

There are other options, such as reducing the number of games, 22 home and away?

Although, they could be offset with an increase in Challenge Cup games with a round robin round including every/most SL sides? 

Will be interesting to see what happens, but looks like momentum will be building.

I suspect that the 30 day exclusivity period will be more to do with organising structure for next year, as opposed to signing on the dotted line. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

The problem is that SL clubs would actually have to vote on this wouldn't they? Do we think they would vote to take a reduction in central funding that would allow two extra teams in to the division? 🤣

I suspect there will be a gulf between the top 14 teams which I think will include Fev and Toulouse and teams that TGC mentions. They will all likely be in a group with very little between a good number of teams.

Also I thought IMG had decided on the structure?

9 hours ago, Mark S said:

Bradford 

An average Championship team playing in one of the poorest stadiums around? Really? Did you know Hunslet once won all four trophies available in one season and played in front of big crowds? Once upon a time.

Edited by Gomersall
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I suspect, based on previous experience, that Mick has leapt on this to mean something else

Oh absolutely, he's leapt on it because it conceivably benefits Bradford. Dr Jack Griffin wasn't as transparent as Mick. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

31 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

The problem is that SL clubs would actually have to vote on this wouldn't they? Do we think they would vote to take a reduction in central funding that would allow two extra teams in to the division? 🤣

I suspect there will be a gulf between the top 14 teams which I think will include Fev and Toulouse and teams that TGC mentions. They will all likely be in a group with very little between a good number of teams.

Also I thought IMG had decided on the structure?

The structure has, as far as I remember, been agreed and all the circulated proposals are based on a top tier of 12 teams.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)