How would you invest a billion pounds into RL?

Over on the football thread, @Damien posted that under Chelsea's current chairman they have spent 1 billion pounds on players. That is one single football club. The money in football is earth shattering.

It got me wondering how I would invest 1 billion pounds into rugby league.

So that's what I'd like us all to have a bit of a dream about, how would you lot invest that sum of money into our sport? 

Fev would finally be making Super League. 😉

• Haha 2

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I would setup the second tier Pacific Cup, including teams from PNG in Moresby and Lae and then one each in Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, New Cale’, Auckland and Christchurch.

As CEO of the PRL, I would begrudgingly travel to all those locations regularly to keep tabs on the growth in each.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I would setup the second tier Pacific Cup, including teams from PNG in Moresby and Lae and then one each in Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, New Cale’, Auckland and Christchurch.

As CEO of the PRL, I would begrudgingly travel to all those locations regularly to keep tabs on the growth in each.

You could hire yourself some good bodyguards for when you're in PNG as well, we're talking ex Royal Marines or something! 👍

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The money in football is earth shattering.

That can't be right, we've got some Australians telling us that the AFL is bigger.

But, anyway, by my rough maths, £1bn is about 30-35 years worth of total RFL revenue in this country.

With my £1bn - I'm building a permanent home for London Broncos somewhere on the southwestern side of town and, with the rest, professionalising the women's game at senior level with subsidy funding guaranteed for ten years, developing a schools programme similar to the ECB's All Stars and Dynamos, putting Development Officers in every part of the country, regional academies, proper mental health and life coaching support for all players and officials, hiring hit men to take out every single person who says seriously, "We need to bring back the 8s" or "You know, by percentage, Featherstone are the biggest club in the world", and professionalising the game's set-up & administration so there is a tiered pyramid in place that is stuck to and becomes such a part of life that no one tinkers with it.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A French full time league. I think done well that could be a decent investment anyway with returns down the line.

Invest in 4 London clubs and stadiums, in North, South, East and West London.

Create 3 leagues of semi professional League 1 type clubs with basic owned grounds, one league covering the North, one the midlands and one the South.

I'd then fund some quality domestic professional competitions in cheap European areas like Serbia, Greece, Czech Republic and Turkey where a little money would go a huge way.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Over on the football thread, @Damien posted that under Chelsea's current chairman they have spent 1 billion pounds on players. That is one single football club. The money in football is earth shattering.

It got me wondering how I would invest 1 billion pounds into rugby league.

So that's what I'd like us all to have a bit of a dream about, how would you lot invest that sum of money into our sport? 

Well, it's a lot of money HG, much more than most people appreciate.

Do you know, that if you had a book with a billion pages in it, the book would be 78 miles thick? 

9 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Over on the football thread, @Damien posted that under Chelsea's current chairman they have spent 1 billion pounds on players. 

And they're still  C***

Edited by HawkMan

I’d buy a huge estate somewhere that I would look after in my own time and at the man of steel presentation night could be held there. I would then spend a few years travelling round exotic islands looking for the perfect one to buy. Once I find it again I would be prepared to look after it in my own time. Then the MOS winner would win 10 days  there. I may also look at giving the Lance Todd and Harry Sunderland trophy winner a week there. I hope my pitch is acceptable please make the cheque payable to Bob Bruce. Thanks. 

• Haha 1

Semi serious suggestion-

Todd Boehly, Chelsea chairman can't possibly get a return on a billion pounds investment,  so he's either a great philanthropist or an idiot. So, convince him to invest in the Broncos, butter him up, tell him he'll be saving the club and its easier to get to the top in RL, also he can change the name to Chelsea Broncos, and he might go for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lets up the stakes and say we are Elon Musk and more ten I would just buy out the WR,RFU,NRL,IRL,RFL,CVC,IMG,CFL, Sliverlake, Touch Rugby,Touch League, Tag etc etc.

Then just change the rules of Rugby Union to Rugby League and then buy out Samuel Smiths brewary and make them the official sponser and Brewery in England for all the clubs.

Happy Times.

Edited by EggFace
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EggFace said:

Lets up the stakes and say we are Elon Musk and more ten I would just buy out the WR,RFU,NRL,IRL,RFL,CVC,IMG,CFL, Sliverlake, Touch Rugby,Touch League, Tag etc etc.

Then just change the rules of Rugby Union to Rugby League and then buy out Samuel Smiths brewary and make them the official sponser and Brewery in England for all the clubs.

Happy Times.

If I have to watch Sale play I’m giving the house and the island back. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Backhand my way into government to become transport minister then extend the M62 across the Irish Sea to Ireland from Liverpool and from Hull to the continent via the North sea and establish the game then, pleasing for the M62 only lot and also expansionists.

Oh and i'd lend Derek some to go to Leigh market and buy some new bulbs!.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, daz39 said:

Backhand my way into government to become transport minister then extend the M62 across the Irish Sea to Ireland from Liverpool and from Hull to the continent via the North sea and establish the game then, pleasing for the M62 only lot and also expansionists.

Oh and i'd lend Derek some to go to Leigh market and buy some new bulbs!.

You’d have to extend the M62 to Hull first 😉

• Like 2

I’d invest in owning grounds, pitches and then creating development hubs all over the country so there is a sustainable future after the money is gone. I’d repeat this in some strategic development countries within the Northern Hemisphere. I’d then buy as much of RU in England as possible with what’s left with an aim of dissolving the sport in this country, or at the very least shutting large parts of it down. 

• Like 2

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004