Another nail in the coffin of the British pub

went in a pub on Hornsea sea front at the weekend - 2 pints of lager and a can of zero per cent Guinness - £15.60p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  the same can at the supermarket is a pound so the pub must buy them cheaper than that - utter pizzz take - pubs are not helping themselves

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Sad 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

went in a pub on Hornsea sea front at the weekend - 2 pints of lager and a can of zero per cent Guinness - £15.60p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  the same can at the supermarket is a pound so the pub must buy them cheaper than that - utter pizzz take - pubs are not helping themselves

Which pub was it? 

24 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

This will only speed up the closures of more British pubs as more people will get there drinks from Supermarkets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66785823

It's the Slug & Lettuce/Yates chain, so it may drive drinkers to better pubs.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Losing pubs isn't a good thing but neither is being charged more for a pint than you should be.

I go out once a week (Friday afternoon) and I usually combine it with a fair bit of walking (depending on the weather) but the £2 bus fare means it's easy for me to try new areas.

I was in Burnley last week, this week I'm planning to go to Great Harwood and the following week the wife and I are off to Preston (absolutely love drinking in Preston!)

I'm building up a familiarity with many towns now and I personally love the variety of pubs that can be found BUT if I feel I'm being overcharged anywhere then I don't go in that pub again. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that?

• Like 3
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

15 hours ago, Shadow said:

I was in Spoons in Neath in July

£1.77 a pint for Ruddles

One thing about Weatherspoons is that the prices are always attractive.

Strangely enough though the two local to me have different prices for some stuff IE Guinness in Accy is £3.11 whilst it's £3.32 in Blackburn.

• Like 1
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

2 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

I resent being charged rip off prices in city centres like Leeds or Manchester or Newcastle. But maybe a struggling local pub that has to put up its prices to survive? I don’t mind that so much, as at least it’s understandable in this day and age.

And I say that as an orthodox tightarse. 

Whilst I do understand where you are coming from, the nearest pub to me wants £5.10 for a Guinness so it's very rare I go in when I can get a better pint for a quid less just a few minutes walk away.

• Like 1
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

22 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Whilst I do understand where you are coming from, the nearest pub to me wants £5.10 for a Guinness so it's very rare I go in when I can get a better pint for a quid less just a few minutes walk away.

And I understand that and yes, agree with you completely, £5.10 is expensive by any measure. I often pay £4.90 for Morreti in a local pub but that's mainly cos I like the pub and know the landlord. 

I don't like paying top dollar for anything but it smarts a bit less when at least it's because they are a struggling business. 

Bradford is fairly cheap for hand-pulled beer. I don't drink anything else.

In my local bar, it's gone up to £4.10 a pint, which is dear  for the city centre. However, for me, it's worth it because the beer is always good and I only drink socially. At home. I'd rather have a cup of tea.

The other bars on North Parade are about the same price and the street has a nice overall atmosphere. The seven bars stand close together in converted shops and offer  chairs and  tables on the pavements.

Other pubs on other streets sell cheaper beer ... £3ish ... but they tend to have a less bohemian atmosphere and the price dictates that they generally  sell less tasty beer. They cater for a different clientele.

For 5 pints, I only pay £5 a more a night on North Parade than I would for a night down Ivegate.

I'd like to think that I'm not a snob, but you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Glasgow is 7quid and upwards for a decent pint of IPA. Having lived out of the UK for a while, when did this happen or is it a post COVID thing?

The town where i live has a few pubs, but being Scottish, they're all a bit poo. Best pub is a Wetherspoons where the beer is delightfully priced.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

In my local bar, it's gone up to £4.10 a pint, which is dear  for the city centre. However, for me, it's worth it because the beer is always good and I only drink socially. At home. I'd rather have a cup of tea.

The other bars on North Parade are about the same price and the street has a nice overall atmosphere. The seven bars stand close together in converted shops and offer  chairs and  tables on the pavements.

Other pubs on other streets sell cheaper beer ... £3ish ... but they tend to have a less bohemian atmosphere and the price dictates that they generally  sell less tasty beer. They cater for a different clientele.

For 5 pints, I only pay £5 a more a night on North Parade than I would for a night down Ivegate.

In the Sam Smith's pub in Bradford city centre 'The Shoulder of Mutton', you can get 4 pints of bitter or lager for less than £10! I haven't been in for some years and I have no idea what that beer in question is like but that's cheap!

34 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

In the Sam Smith's pub in Bradford city centre 'The Shoulder of Mutton', you can get 4 pints of bitter or lager for less than £10! I haven't been in for some years and I have no idea what that beer in question is like but that's cheap!

Sam Smith's beers are usually good, and their pubs have the added benefit of no piped music.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Why on earth have they chosen to market it like that? Surely calling it a discount at quiet times to increase demand (like happy hour, that traditional pub idea) would be far more sensible.

Same outcome...

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Sam Smith's beers are usually good, and their pubs have the added benefit of no piped music.

Plus if someone sees you using your phone and the landlord doesn't immediately stop you then the person seeing you can report it and the landlord will be fired.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 12/09/2023 at 20:57, graveyard johnny said:

only saw one- a greene king pub - called the marine? or marina?

If you went in a Green King pub you were brave. Oh hang for two lagers and a Guinness, not beer.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

19 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Sam Smiths is an acquired taste, though I quite like it. Unlike John Smith's which is, for me, a  never-acquired taste.

I had a girlfriend who used to there every week, saying it was authentic Bradford. I thought it looked like many of the regulars may not have had a wash before coming out.

Mind you, she lived in Saltaire Village ... two bedroom terraces with a tiny yard and fronting onto the street now cost well over £200,000. { For jealous Southerers, a "typical" price for a two bedroom stone terrace elsewhere in a decent part of Bradford itself would be about £130,000 to £150,000]

The only time I ever go in the Shoulder of Mutton these days is:

• on Armistice Day, when we have a fantastic Parade in the City Centre. The pub is always full of veterans, including a few that I know. *
  • On a hot Summers day ... it has a hidden, and great, beer garden surrounded by tall buildings.

I have heard that it is not as cheap as it was. I'm guessing that the cheap beer is electric.

* One thing I've previously thought about for struggling pubs is targeting ex-military clients. I know quite a few people who left school and joined up. Plenty of photos, flags and badges and flags can be bought at local auctions and flea markets.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

No doubt Camra will be putting their oar into this, completely ignoring the discount schemes that they insist on to even consider you for the Good Bear Guild, nor their love in with Wetherspoon which drives local  pubs out of business. Camra go on about Real Ale being a premium product, but it has a short shelf life therefore they should expect to pay more for a decent pint, not get 50p discount.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2023 at 16:23, Wolford6 said:

You pay a bit more at the Record Cafe, but I’ve never had a bad pint there. That’s worth the brass.