WORKINGTON TOWN RLFC 2024

WTRLFC WEBSITE

On 23/11/2023 at 17:45, Derwent Parker said:

The kit we wore the year we won L1 Playoffs is the traditional one [all white with blue band] and is best but this is a close second

Depends what you call traditional, blue and white were not original colours when town started

2 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Hadn't re-signed till town lost one/two forwards and that's a fact, Croston is dreadful 

Doe's Croston not play in centres?We have to give the lad a go especially in Div1,Its like any club we can only afford whats on offer, and to be honest he cannot be that bad the amount of clubs he has played for.We can only wait and see Neutralfan7 on how he shapes out.

47 minutes ago, troutmaster said:

Doe's Croston not play in centres?We have to give the lad a go especially in Div1,Its like any club we can only afford whats on offer, and to be honest he cannot be that bad the amount of clubs he has played for.We can only wait and see Neutralfan7 on how he shapes out.

Centre but could shift into the SR 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, troutmaster said:

Looks good on Youtube but doesn't everybody? i'm just concerned he's only played a handful of games at each club but apparently been playing University rugby inbetween. Mossop wasn't the same player last year and Hurst was only ok and he's a big lad (16 stone) and only young so we'll see. 

Edited by homeandawayer
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

Looks good on Youtube but doesn't everybody? i'm just concerned he's only played a handful of games at each club but apparently been playing University rugby inbetween. Mossop wasn't the same player last year and Hurst was only ok and he's a big lad (16 stone) and only young so we'll see. 

I think Mossop has had his time, the lad wants to retire from the pro game. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

He's still in his early twenties, he looks like he's a unit with a bit of pace about him, and he even passes to his winger!. If he was a St Helens junior he must have something about him, so as long as he puts a shift in, gets himself fit and gives it his all I'm sure he could be an astute signing. If he is willing to give it a dig up here I'm sure we will all give him our backing, lets hope he can shut Neutralfan7 down in the Ike.

• Like 2

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Can't say I am enthralled with the signings so far for 2024 when compared to the likes of Oldham, Hunslet, Rochdale who have all strengthened. What is wrong with signing a couple of imports, have we not got contacts or funds to achieve this? As already stated why have we signed a player who as only played a handful of games at his previous clubs?

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

He's still in his early twenties, he looks like he's a unit with a bit of pace about him, and he even passes to his winger!. If he was a St Helens junior he must have something about him, so as long as he puts a shift in, gets himself fit and gives it his all I'm sure he could be an astute signing. If he is willing to give it a dig up here I'm sure we will all give him our backing, lets hope he can shut Neutralfan7 down in the Ike.

If I'm playing he's no chance 👀

11 hours ago, town blue said:

Can't say I am enthralled with the signings so far for 2024 when compared to the likes of Oldham, Hunslet, Rochdale who have all strengthened. What is wrong with signing a couple of imports, have we not got contacts or funds to achieve this? As already stated why have we signed a player who as only played a handful of games at his previous clubs?

I'm suspecting they are cutting their cloth according to what coin they have avaliable, nowt worse than not paying players and constantly going round with begging bowls...

• Like 4

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

12 hours ago, town blue said:

Nobody knows what the set up will be in 2025, given the level of investment by Oldham and Keighley in particular for next season they would appear to be nailed on for promotion if it still exists. To try to compete with that level of investment would probably have put the club in a precarious financial position. I’m sure building a solid foundation across all facets of the club is the way to improve both on the field and in relation to IMG ratings. We’ve all seen Town go through boom and bust scenarios where we’ve paid top dollar for ‘big name’ players and it hasn’t worked. The current board have done an amazing job over the last 18 months, the old stadium looking better than ever, events being held, new sponsorships, close affiliations with community clubs, ladies team and so much more. When you build a strong base it will allow you to develop accordingly and hopefully sustain a successful team. We’ve unearthed one gem in Ciaran Walker what’s to say there won’t be others in our predominantly Cumbrian based squad. Good luck to Sean Croston and welcome to the club, you tube is never the best guide but he certainly looks to have something so let’s see how he goes before unfairly writing him off. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IanMac said:

Nobody knows what the set up will be in 2025, given the level of investment by Oldham and Keighley in particular for next season they would appear to be nailed on for promotion if it still exists. To try to compete with that level of investment would probably have put the club in a precarious financial position. I’m sure building a solid foundation across all facets of the club is the way to improve both on the field and in relation to IMG ratings. We’ve all seen Town go through boom and bust scenarios where we’ve paid top dollar for ‘big name’ players and it hasn’t worked. The current board have done an amazing job over the last 18 months, the old stadium looking better than ever, events being held, new sponsorships, close affiliations with community clubs, ladies team and so much more. When you build a strong base it will allow you to develop accordingly and hopefully sustain a successful team. We’ve unearthed one gem in Ciaran Walker what’s to say there won’t be others in our predominantly Cumbrian based squad. Good luck to Sean Croston and welcome to the club, you tube is never the best guide but he certainly looks to have something so let’s see how he goes before unfairly writing him off. 

Totally agree . You can spend your way to short-term success but i'll be interested to see in particular what happens at Leigh when their ageing squad needs replacing.  We've seen with the likes of Sammut , Wilkes, FFMM and Thackrey the difference they can make but it's unsustainable .  Unity and hard work will have to be the mantra to compete next year. You don't write off a player who's only 24 but we've had a few from league 1 clubs like Simpson and Hutchings who haven't made the grade so there has to be a bit of caution. Who doesn't want a 16 stone powerhouse centre who scores and creates tries? Let's hope that's what he can give us.

• Like 3