WORKINGTON TOWN RLFC 2024

WTRLFC WEBSITE

2 hours ago, IanMac said:

Nobody knows what the set up will be in 2025, given the level of investment by Oldham and Keighley in particular for next season they would appear to be nailed on for promotion if it still exists. To try to compete with that level of investment would probably have put the club in a precarious financial position. I’m sure building a solid foundation across all facets of the club is the way to improve both on the field and in relation to IMG ratings. We’ve all seen Town go through boom and bust scenarios where we’ve paid top dollar for ‘big name’ players and it hasn’t worked. The current board have done an amazing job over the last 18 months, the old stadium looking better than ever, events being held, new sponsorships, close affiliations with community clubs, ladies team and so much more. When you build a strong base it will allow you to develop accordingly and hopefully sustain a successful team. We’ve unearthed one gem in Ciaran Walker what’s to say there won’t be others in our predominantly Cumbrian based squad. Good luck to Sean Croston and welcome to the club, you tube is never the best guide but he certainly looks to have something so let’s see how he goes before unfairly writing him off. 

Totally agree with this, and I cant understand any Town fan that wants the club to splash out on overseas players etc after the last few years seeing clubs get into financial trouble doing that over and over. I think the way were recruiting is bang on last season and into this one, build in the right way within the financial restrictions the club has.

Or would you rather see our club fighting for its existence the end of every season after throwing money at loads of expensive imports like our neighbours?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dkw said:

Totally agree with this, and I cant understand any Town fan that wants the club to splash out on overseas players etc after the last few years seeing clubs get into financial trouble doing that over and over. I think the way were recruiting is bang on last season and into this one, build in the right way within the financial restrictions the club has.

Or would you rather see our club fighting for its existence the end of every season after throwing money at loads of expensive imports like our neighbours?

How expensive are imports? Is there no funding available from the RFL to employ them in the community?

Personally I think the recruitment has been bang on this year brought in the best available cumbrians and some experience just think we are lacking a enforcer I use to like the Jamie Acton or Jamie thackeray sort off player and think it would complement this pack perfect 

• Like 4

Pointless throwing money around when you don`t know whats coming next season . You could spend  a good bit to win promotion and then they could merge the Leagues into an East/West scenario as other posters on the Main site have speculated . If so that money has been wasted .As long as we are competitive the crowds will hold up as we saw last year .

• Like 5

We talk about last year and still got Sabuety, so why not something similar this season?

Team is looking on paper like a playoff challenging team but look at whitehavens blue print from the other year they did it with a similar set up.

Taylor and eccelston are massive signings for me personally, just wish for a big Old head up top or the x factor type 

18 hours ago, havenhater said:

We talk about last year and still got Sabuety, so why not something similar this season?

Team is looking on paper like a playoff challenging team but look at whitehavens blue print from the other year they did it with a similar set up.

Taylor and eccelston are massive signings for me personally, just wish for a big Old head up top or the x factor type 

Yeah look at Sabutey, all that work scouting him and expense bringing him half way around the world, setting him up with somewhere to live and work and after one season he went back home.

Unfortunately the Jarred Stacks of this world don't work out every time, and every time the Jambos bring somebody decent over the likes of Halifax move in and relive them of all their good work. 

It would be great if we were in the position to risk some budget on unearthing an antipodean gem, but I think it's better being prudent for the time being.

• Like 8

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

I see Sammut is back on the market as a free agent. At 37 he could easily drop back into league 1 and I'd love to have him back for a season. 

I know there's plenty of arguments against it, but he just has a bit of magic about him. Our young lads could all benefit  from being mentored by an experienced head who has been in SL and looks after themselves. I'm sure the halves especially can learn a thing or two. 

• Like 4

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

I see Sammut is back on the market as a free agent. At 37 he could easily drop back into league 1 and I'd love to have him back for a season. 

I know there's plenty of arguments against it, but he just has a bit of magic about him. Our young lads could all benefit  from being mentored by an experienced head who has been in SL and looks after themselves. I'm sure the halves especially can learn a thing or two. 

Have to agree, could do a job for us in L1, a player who has looked after himself so 37 should not be a prohibitive factor.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, town blue said:

I would like Sammut to return, will still do a job in div 1 and help bring on the young players.

Might add a few to the crowd too, a proper showman worth paying money to watch in his previous stint with us.

46 minutes ago, Churchill Drivers said:

No doubt Sammut has been a very good player but still likely be be an expensive recruit and not sure how much Towns young players would learn from him as he plays 'off the cuff' rugby. Can be great or frustrating to watch but not sure coach will want young lads trying to copy him.

I agree but on the flipside if you're too regimented you're easy to defend against,  it's a balancing act.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sticklebricks said:

Good to see stevie and buffer back for another year, is that not the experience we all seem to talk about 💙🤍💙🤍

Sort of. I'm struggling to see how we've got a better squad than last year. Sabutey's try scoring will need to be replicated by someone.  I know Caine didn't play that much but he's a big loss. I liked Lightowler so glad he's back. Walton, Archer, Hutton, Croston are of unproven ability. The hope is that Reid , Key, McNicholas and Bradley will be big players this year and Walker of course is exceptional. 

• Like 3

Don't really understand the negativity, I know we've lost a couple of quality players but the others that have gone, I think have been replaced with better, or certainly lads with potential to be better - A fair bit of Championship level experience and locals who've excelled over the last couple of years and are ready to kick on. 

Maybe we can't keep pace with likes of Oldham and Keighley but I would much prefer we spend within our limits than lose the club altogher trying to be something that we aren't 

UTT 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Town utd said:

Town Squad of 24,is that the team finalised, or more to be announced?

More to come I would assume. Guessing we will have a few trialists training with us who will play in the friendlies before a decision is made. We we seem to have the makings of a good squad but cant see any starting wingers??

• Like 1