Potential new League 1 club

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why? You don’t have any idea who it is, if anyone? Or are you saying you don’t think any club will every join league one again? If that’s the case we might as well all give up. 

To be honest Eddie who in their right mind would want to bankroll a club in L1 unless they bought a team to virtually guarantee promotion after one season? Nobody with any sense would finance a L1 team treading water unless they are A. a RL nut or B. a raving nutcase.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

To be honest Eddie who in their right mind would want to bankroll a club in L1 unless they bought a team to virtually guarantee promotion after one season? Nobody with any sense would finance a L1 team treading water unless they are A. a RL nut or B. a raving nutcase.

Derek Beaumont fits the bill. Anyone for the Leigh Lizards?

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You could probably sell a few shirts too.

Speaking of which I saw someone today in a hospital reception area today in Leeds wearing a New York rugby league jersey.

It was a really good kit design and I so wish the transatlantic expansion had continued and thrived.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What would you call it?

Let's go full expansion and call them the European Eagles. They'll play at 9 different stadiums in 9 different countries across the continent. As long as we get Branson back involved to bankroll the whole thing, I don't see a problem.

• Haha 2

On 22/09/2023 at 09:56, HawkMan said:

TRL Forum XIII , Any volunteers ?

A comeback for The Mighty Penguins? 

One for the older forum members, there.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

25 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Can see Potter as a nippy running 9.....especially if he brought his broomstick thing 

I'd see him as somewhere between a hooker and a prop.

A 9 and 3 quarters you might say.

😉

Edited by sam4731
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 22/09/2023 at 18:49, OriginalMrC said:

Usually 'potential' means someone declaring they'd like to join league 1. There's been loads of examples in recent years Valencia, Dublin, Red Star Belgrade, Worcester, Bristol and many others. None of them were serious and none of them had the finances to do it. 

I could set up a RL club online and declare my interest in joining league 1. Bet I'd get loads of bites on social media and from RL journos 

To be fair, Red Star were keen but the RFL weren’t after the Toronto mess. 
That led to Red Star and the RLEF exploring if a European league was feasible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dealwithit said:

To be fair, Red Star were keen but the RFL weren’t after the Toronto mess. 
That led to Red Star and the RLEF exploring if a European league was feasible. 

Red Star didn't/don't have anywhere near the amount of money required to enter a team in league 1. They were never serious contenders to enter league 1.

I can’t see the feasibility of a 9 team league 1 unless they play each other 3 times.

What might happen is a merging of the 2  lower divisions into East and West :-

East being comprised of Bradford, Sheffield, York, Batley,Halifax, Keighley, Newcastle, Dewsbury, Hunslet, London, Doncaster, Fev or Toulouse, Wakefield.

West:- Widnes, Swinton, Barrow, London, Whitehaven, Workington,  Oldham, North Wales Crusaders, Rochdale, Midlands Hurricanes, Cornwall, Toulouse (assuming Fev.win promotion)

Each in their play the others in their division twice preserving all the local derbies plus as many loop fixtures required against teams in the other region. Simples!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

I can’t see the feasibility of a 9 team league 1 unless they play each other 3 times.

East being comprised of Bradford, Sheffield, York, Batley,Halifax, Keighley, Newcastle, Dewsbury, Hunslet, London, Doncaster, Fev or Toulouse, Wakefield.

West:- Widnes, Swinton, Barrow, London, Whitehaven, Workington,  Oldham, North Wales Crusaders, Rochdale, Midlands Hurricanes, Cornwall, Toulouse (assuming Fev.win promotion)

Each in their play the others in their division twice preserving all the local derbies plus as many loop fixtures required against teams in the other region. Simples!!

With the West teams getting 50% more funding than the East due to the massive amount of traveling they have to do.

Simples.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Sorry I’ve included London in both East and West by mistake

On 24/09/2023 at 09:36, Stanley30 said:

Still not sure who ot is from Reading the thread. 

Wish they would just stop with these daft teams locations. Just do a promotion from the conference and let the amateur game grow rather than forcing some daft teams from miles away that always fail

Is this satire? promote an amateur team into a pro league to let the amateur game grow?

2 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Erm we haven't had a thread about re-structuring for a while have we now.

As for a new club, my gut feeling is this is mere speculation.

If in my opinion, there was some reality, then first up would be a new south of Wales club, part funded and run by the RFL and Rugby League Cymru as a pathway. 

Sort of asking for the rarity of there being the right people, right egos, right money, right facilities and the right RFL.

Erm.🤷

3 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Toulouse and London are further East than all the teams in your East division. If we're doing East/West they go in East.

• Like 1