Match thread: Championship Playoffs Semi-final. Featherstone Rovers v London Broncos. Sunday 8th October 2023.

marklaspalmas

I think that Featherstone need a big clear out. Players taking big money for an average performance (Joey, Ford etc) 

To win so many games this season and fail in the playoffs AGAIN  is criminal. BUT tbf with the players muted to have signed for SL 2024 you wouldn't have won many anyway. 

Your fans (the minority) wouldn't have dealt with loosing week on week without kicking off..so maybe best were you are !!

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

So the dream is over confined to The Championship,we have proved we are not good enough or deserve to be in the top division.Congratulations to London who were by far the much better team on the night.We had a chance when getting back to 12-12 but couldn't kick on from there even when playing downhill.Don't like naming players but Day had a shocker costing two tries by shooting out of the line and not making a tackle.Then he managed to get a deserved 10 min for lifting attackers legs .Nothing from half backs and no ball handling skills shown by the back row forwards.London ran harder passed quicker and defended much better.Our kicking game was poor again just up and under's easy to catch in tonight's conditions too far in front of our defenders to put the receiver under pressure.I left half way through the second half first time i have ever done that.MC should stand down from the club he has worked tirelessly over the years to get the club into a top challenger for SL and should move on there is more to life than Featherstone Rovers.Whoever was in charge of recruitment should go and Ford plus coaching staff need to walk as the have failed in their objective.Full time coaching over the last few months and the players can't perform in such an important game.I hate SL i have only paid to see one game and that was Giants v Cas as my daughter and grand kids support Giants.I will be quite happy watching us in The Championship next season  but do feel sorry for the younger supporters who would like to see us playing in the top league.Not the end of the world at least we keep our away fixture at The Mount.Now then where is that bottle of red wine.

Spot on.

Hau.

Day and Taylor.

I'd ask myself is it me?

But JC's MOM totals had Hau 1 point off 2nd in the table even though he was brought in mid way through the season and far more than Day and Taylor had between them. So maybe others think similarly. 

Not saying Hau would have changed the outcome but he's proven a massive threat offensively and as said elsewhere Day and Taylor offer no cutting edge.

Frustrated by that but life goes on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

All these fans saying won't go and will pick their games ( that's their choice) will be moaning when we don't have enough money to put a decent side on the field. Double edged sword really.

Players are under contract for next season but starting from a clean sheet with no guaranteed promotion for the top team next season i would restructure the players wages.£6k retainer and then £600 winning money and £ 250 for losing.That may concentrate a few minds.

• Like 1

No creativity from half backs / pointless kicks / tinkering too much with combinations all did for us this season imo.  I must admit I thought we'd turned a corner after the Toulouse away game but when did Ford and Aekins last play together ?  How many times have they played together ?  I've been saying for so long now that Aekins does not have the game for playing in the halves.  We wrapped up Ford in cotton wool - for what ?  His kicks down the full back's throat were depressing.  I know many fans will say we lost it defensively and to a certain extent that's true but sometimes attack is the best form of defence and with ball in hand is where we've looked clunky (at best) for most of this season.   At key moments today we either couldn't find a way to score or we gave the ball away.  Despite this of course we had the squad / team to to get into SL.  FFS we won the league by how many points ? so lets not start listening to the views of that halfwit from viaplay about the what went wrong.  I think there are some reasons why London visibly wanted it more and maybe that needs looking at but in reality right now it doesn't matter does it - its the end of an era and we (and virtually all Championship teams) won't get another look at SL for the foreseeable. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I know we're hurting but it would help if we don't feed the trolls, it's just more work for me to clear up with all their bad language and childish comments.

Apologies for my part in that - but I don't know who to start having a go at first.   Trolls seem the easiest target right now...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Commiserations to you all. It must be gutting to have had such a good season and then fall so close to the line again.

All the best for next season.

Thank's for that .Promotion and relegation should be decided on the field.And London deserve their crack at it next week.If they play like they did tonight although Toulouse will be favourites they could do it again.I always thought it was hard on them being relegated from SL on points difference after winning 10 games.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Squidward said:

Hau.

Day and Taylor.

I'd ask myself is it me?

But JC's MOM totals had Hau 1 point off 2nd in the table even though he was brought in mid way through the season and far more than Day and Taylor had between them. So maybe others think similarly. 

Not saying Hau would have changed the outcome but he's proven a massive threat offensively and as said elsewhere Day and Taylor offer no cutting edge.

No not just you mate.  I said this a couple of weeks back.  Hau is a game-breaker (and I'm a fan of Taylor and Day - and I feel a bit sorry for Day for being a scapegoat tonight)

Especially with Yei and Springer out tonight - I did fear that collectively - including the bench -  the team was a bit 'Dads Army'.  Also in the backs there was maybe some spark missing but what do we know.  Ultimately for me so many players were anonymous tonight and I'll watch it back but right now I just can't explain that.  

Re your man of the match comment I would look at Aekins as well.  I don't want to single him out as he's class (in the right position) but I would like to see his mom votes from full back and how many he got from half back.

I have only just checked the result and have to say I was amazed.  It's a crazy setup when a team that has easily been the best team in the championship fails to get promoted because of one match.  18 league points more and a points difference around 730 better than London. The RL will no doubt be happy mind.

Wrong team will get to super league I'm afraid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Players are under contract for next season but starting from a clean sheet with no guaranteed promotion for the top team next season i would restructure the players wages.£6k retainer and then £600 winning money and £ 250 for losing.That may concentrate a few minds.

I get the idea but where will that leave us ?  Win all league games and lose the play offs again (which won't count for anything from next year anyway)

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

All these fans saying won't go and will pick their games ( that's their choice) will be moaning when we don't have enough money to put a decent side on the field. Double edged sword really.

It is, but £270 for a championship season, bearing in mind a lot of people won't be able to get to all games.

I will go to games, at £25 a game, but getting a season ticket where missing 3 games puts you out of pocket.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Thank's for that .Promotion and relegation should be decided on the field.And London deserve their crack at it next week.If they play like they did tonight although Toulouse will be favourites they could do it again.I always thought it was hard on them being relegated from SL on points difference after winning 10 games.

Promotion and relegation should be decided over 27 games not 1

• Like 1

How many more times is this club poing to break me i honestly think i have had enough now.Why ford changed a winning team is beyond me Lacans should have played and springer was a big loss but we should have had enough on that pitch to beat them i can not justify squad builder rovers tv or matches when i dont think my money is being spent wisely.totally gutted.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, eltel said:

well what a pile of ###### the defence was garbage no attack first hour just 1 man 5 yard drives then drop to the floor. Only 2 players seemed to be putting a shift in. I’m guessing Mark may throw the towel in and who can blame him.

Hank was the best Fev player out there

• Like 1

I for one didn't think we'd beat London. I said to Martin Vickers on the way in 'Let's hope you're scanning a ticket next week'

'Of course we will be' was his reply. 

I am the world's greatest pessimist (although Robin will, as I'm sure he'll admit run me to a close 2nd) but you just get a feeling all sometimes. I've been urging people not to say 'we will put 30 on them' or 'at least we'll have home advantage in the final'.

A little over a month ago on the forum our fans were gloating over the fate of Cas. 

Nothing is decided in August!

All bragging does is create a facial omelette. We never learn from past experiences, some as little as 12 months ago....

The game was almost a facsimile of last year v Batley. 2nd best for 60 mins then throwing the ball about, but it being too little to late. 

I personally have seen Rovers win the league and the cup, it's the younger generation that I feel for, my 11 year old boy, and I daresay many others were beyond disappointed that they won't be seeing their team at the top table. I'm a bit more pragmatic (pessimistic) in that watching any sort of Featherstone Rovers after April 1995 was a bonus. That said ....

Last night the best team won and the scoreline almost flattered us in the end. 

Their tries were soft to say the least, Alex Walker, a player that we outed a couple of years ago scored two very simple tries past our left centre position with hardly a hand laid on him. Their second try could so easily have been kicked dead. 

Our attacked lack punch, half backs didn't create, and what was evident was the fact that we didn't break a tackle until the hour mark. 

Have we got anyone that can go the length of the field? 

Their outside backs especially Grant and Macani were rapid. Time and time again this season, and last we've conceded by our wingers being outpaced, most notably by Halifax, several times. 

I cannot for the life of me see why Connor Jones got so little game time, Craig Hall, Craig Kopsczak and Dane Chisholm weren't in the 17. Aekins has been a great servant this season but not as a stand off. 

The biggest disappointment for me was the realisation of what this game stood for. I honestly don't know the direction the club will go in now. 

The Chairman must be sick to the back teeth of sinking money in to the club. The stadium is amazing when you look at the dumps in the five towns, The CEO was stating recently that there is no other team as well equipped as Featherstone to go to the super league, we've even got Moretti in the bar now instead of the usual pish, but I fear that this was our last chance of SL football and that the light has finally gone out. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

I for one didn't think we'd beat London. I said to Martin Vickers on the way in 'Let's hope you're scanning a ticket next week'

'Of course we will be' was his reply. 

I am the world's greatest pessimist (although Robin will, as I'm sure he'll admit run me to a close 2nd) but you just get a feeling all sometimes. I've been urging people not to say 'we will put 30 on them' or 'at least we'll have home advantage in the final'.

A little over a month ago on the forum our fans were gloating over the fate of Cas. 

Nothing is decided in August!

All bragging does is create a facial omelette. We never learn from past experiences, some as little as 12 months ago....

The game was almost a facsimile of last year v Batley. 2nd best for 60 mins then throwing the ball about, but it being too little to late. 

I personally have seen Rovers win the league and the cup, it's the younger generation that I feel for, my 11 year old boy, and I daresay many others were beyond disappointed that they won't be seeing their team at the top table. I'm a bit more pragmatic (pessimistic) in that watching any sort of Featherstone Rovers after April 1995 was a bonus. That said ....

Last night the best team won and the scoreline almost flattered us in the end. 

Their tries were soft to say the least, Alex Walker, a player that we outed a couple of years ago scored two very simple tries past our left centre position with hardly a hand laid on him. Their second try could so easily have been kicked dead. 

Our attacked lack punch, half backs didn't create, and what was evident was the fact that we didn't break a tackle until the hour mark. 

Have we got anyone that can go the length of the field? 

Their outside backs especially Grant and Macani were rapid. Time and time again this season, and last we've conceded by our wingers being outpaced, most notably by Halifax, several times. 

I cannot for the life of me see why Connor Jones got so little game time, Craig Hall, Craig Kopsczak and Dane Chisholm weren't in the 17. Aekins has been a great servant this season but not as a stand off. 

The biggest disappointment for me was the realisation of what this game stood for. I honestly don't know the direction the club will go in now. 

The Chairman must be sick to the back teeth of sinking money in to the club. The stadium is amazing when you look at the dumps in the five towns, The CEO was stating recently that there is no other team as well equipped as Featherstone to go to the super league, we've even got Moretti in the bar now instead of the usual pish, but I fear that this was our last chance of SL football and that the light has finally gone out. 

spot on

10 hours ago, Squidward said:

Hau.

Day and Taylor.

I'd ask myself is it me?

Hau was injured. He was limping walking amongst the fans.