Dave Woods

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Would they even click onto it having seen the headlines Ian? 

I don't even watch the FA Cup Final and haven't for as long as I can remember, in fact many times until told or seen the news I wouldn't have known who the competing teams were.

Why do I say this, simply because I am not interested in Football, now transfer that thinking to non RL people.

Just to help you out Harry, 'cos I'm that sort of guy. FA cup was won last May by Jurgen Klopp's Everton beating Arteta's Queens Park Rangers 2- 0, goals by Gareth Bale and Zinedine Zidane. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Just to help you out Harry, 'cos I'm that sort of guy. FA cup was won last May by Jurgen Klopp's Everton beating Arteta's Queens Park Rangers 2- 0, goals by Gareth Bale and Zinedine Zidane. 

Rubbish. Bale was offside and VAR failed to pick it up. Gary Neville was rightly appalled.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

Thing is this is not the A league , this is our champions league / superbowl 

While that is true, RL as a whole is not a big sport. The NRL is absolutely miniscule as a competition when compared to things like the champions league and NFL. There are plenty of smaller sports who's top competitions don't get any coverage in countries that aren't interested. Goat polo is massive in a couple of countries but the BBC don't report on its top championship. 

I will just say I think its a shame that a report has not been done on the NRL grand final but my comments on this thread are simply trying to explain why the BBC have chosen not to cover it. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Would they even click onto it having seen the headlines Ian? 

I don't even watch the FA Cup Final and haven't for as long as I can remember, in fact many times until told or seen the news I wouldn't have known who the competing teams were.

Why do I say this, simply because I am not interested in Football, now transfer that thinking to non RL people.

I certainly know they won't click on anything if they don't know about it

37 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

The BBC should have featured a report of what was a truly remarkable game, but I wouldn't lay the blame squarely on Dave Woods.

Maybe not but I'm sick of the BBC thread , maybe Dave should shoulder some of the blame as he is their correspondent 

• Like 1

Just now, RigbyLuger said:

The BBC's chummy live blogs are dreadful.

"We're in Manchester for the cricket so the next hour is going to be filled with jam-based puns on cricketer's names because of some agonising connection to a minor news story we've just made. No need to bother your head about the game."

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

I get p***ed off at BBC giving priority to womens super league and wheelchair super league results over championship, league 1 and national conference. I would love to know the reasoning.

Why do you think the NCL, of the three you mention, should be above the top tiers of the Women's and Wheelchair leagues?

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Before some idiot says it, I'll say it,

" bloody women's football,  all over the BBC website,  who watches that? Rammed down our throats blah blah"

There, that's the wind taken out of those sails. 55 thousand at The Emirates to watch Arsenal ladies yesterday,  more clubs to play their games at the home stadium of Premier league clubs because of increasing attendances.

The BBC splash that on the website because its popular and they have the rights to it. Actually they are quite poor at covering sports they don't have rights to. Their Ryder Cup pages were especially poor IMO, no way of seeing live scores of each match as they progressed.

I was going to start a Ryder Cup thread on AOB,but didn't because clearly no one on the forum cares , and the BBC thinks no one apart from RL diehards cares about the NRL, which is true.

How many people listen to Dave Woods RL podcast on BBC Sounds? There are over 100 episodes.

One of a number of reasons that women's soccer is becoming to popular is that the BBC is promoting it as it has paid for the broadcasting rights. To me it's evidence that this approach works when part of societal advances.  Something like £8 million a season. It seems to me subjectively I admit that we are nowhere near as good as we should be in ensuring that the media outlets who hold our TV rights actually promote the sport .

The pay-TV broadcaster will to show up to 44 matches, with a minimum of 35 being screened across Sky Sports Main Event, Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Football, with some matches also shown simultaneously on Sky Sports Mix and Sky One. In addition, the BBC will also continue to showcase the league for free-to-air viewers by showcasing 22 live games per season, with a minimum of 18 matches to be broadcast on BBC One and BBC Two.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

How many people listen to Dave Woods RL podcast on BBC Sounds? There are over 100 episodes.

I used to listen to it all the time. I can't remember if it's always been like this or I'm just getting less tolerant of it but I find Woods's chummy inanity with (usually) Kevin Brown really irritating whilst their discussion of the topics at hand is superficial at best. If the subject or guest isn't of immediate interest to me I just delete it now.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And that is precisely why it may have not been reported, it is just not popular enough.

In two weeks time we have our very own GF, how many regional newspapers or even some national ones apart from maybe showing the score would you expect to see a report?

We are the converted to RL, 95% of the country isn't.

Precisely Harry the SLGF means nothing to anyone outside of us RL fans 

I do wonder whether the BBC take into account that people might simply look elsewhere for RL news. Realistically unless the BBC massively increased their budget, they aren't competing with RL outlets on delivering the latest news at it happens across multiple clubs, never mind leagues. Similarly with NFL - I wouldn't get my NFL score updates and news from BBC currently when there's a presumably bigger-budget alternative in the NFL website itself.

They only really have an incentive to push RL news when they're leading up to games they've got rights to ie Challenge Cup games or internationals. I can't blame them - as I say they'd have to massively increase spend in order to really get much more engagement than they do already I'd have thought.

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Precisely Harry the SLGF means nothing to anyone outside of us RL fans 

You could say the same about most one sports events. The Super Bowl is a masterpiece of hype over substance as a sporting occasion but the add ons make it a huge event globally. I know a few people who claim to be ‘fans’ of American Football teams but won’t even bother to stay up all night to watch the SB.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And that is precisely why it may have not been reported, it is just not popular enough.

In two weeks time we have our very own GF, how many regional newspapers or even some national ones apart from maybe showing the score would you expect to see a report?

We are the converted to RL, 95% of the country isn't.

And how many of the country do you think is converted to American Football aitch? Please don’t tell me how they fill the stadiums in London as those are attended by many from the rest of Europe outside the U.K. 

50 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

And how many of the country do you think is converted to American Football aitch? Please don’t tell me how they fill the stadiums in London as those are attended by many from the rest of Europe outside the U.K. 

"Prove my point wrong without using the most obvious example because I've discredited it for... reasons"

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The BBC's website is a shadow of what it once was - to explain why would require a political point so I'll not make it but it's there 

Good on you for not explaining how the BBC spend our money pushing the interests and priorities of those who work for the corporation in London. Might have opened a frightful can of worms.

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Even the ones you notice from, say, NFL and NBA are very hit and miss and you wouldn't rely on them if you were a fan.

I've sometimes toyed with the notion of NRL enjoying the same coverage and following in the UK as NFL. On one hand, it could remove the millstone of RL's hitherto unshakeable affinity with the Northern English working class. On the other, with the bulk of interest channelled outwards, domestic RL could be like Soccer in Ireland.

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

I get p***ed off at BBC giving priority to womens super league and wheelchair super league results over championship, league 1 and national conference. I would love to know the reasoning.

They are reporting what they see as newsworthy as distinct from the sport. When WSL and wheelchair RL get "normalised" (i.e. just routine) their interest will wane. They are journalists, not fans.

• Confused 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

Wouldn't have a clue how many are converted to American Football Gommers, nor how they fill stadiums in London or elsewhere in Europe, I probably have more interest in Association Football which is practically Zilch.

When switching channels on Sky if I happen to accidently come across the NFL one I cringe with the voices alone, no need to even watch it to put me off.

• Like 1