Championship Meeting

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Can't see plans for next year changing so soon. You can't restructure in an off season.

Well they virtually did at the end of the 1994/5 when Widnes, Wakefield, Salford and Featherstone where relegated from what originally where none relegation spots 14 up to 11th respectfully. Not forgetting that Keighley and (IIRC) Batley being deigned promotion to the top league.

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Surely the interim solution is play 3x making a 24 game season, which is actually more games than last year?

"Going to Cornwall twice" isn't exactly the stumbling block it's being made out to be (only half the clubs would need to do that), considering they won't be traveling to London nor West Wales as in recent years.

This to me looks like the best solution. 

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A massive digression but it's worth saying that this is the problem with the set-up for the Tonga series - it's almost been designed to make it virtually impossible to make significant money from.

I honestly reckon that one game at Brentford (probably selling out that sized venue at top rate RL prices) would have made more money than the other two games combined. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, crashmon said:

TBH I think Saints will have too much for cats anyway. I cant see a cats win here (I can however see KR beating the Pies tomorrow.)

Think only Tolouse will be making a trip for a final to the UK

If that happens, that's 5 finals in a row for Saints all against different opponents!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

As an aside, for the conspiracy enthusiasts here, the large hole in the RFL budgets for next season mean the Grand Final and Tonga Series are more important than ever.

Cue Catalans not getting there...

Why not ? They bring so much to the game and have had a good season.

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

They do, but the RFL need (relatively small) sums of cash now.

So after the result tonight....  Will Cats be asked to provide 500K to play in SL next season if the GF does not sell out?   RFL have tried a similar malarky before when Cats had the termacity to qualify for a final?

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, crashmon said:

So after the result tonight....  Will Cats be asked to provide 500K to play in SL next season if the GF does not sell out?   RFL have tried a similar malarky before when Cats had the termacity to qualify for a final?

Financial disaster for the RFL.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, crashmon said:

TBH I think Saints will have too much for cats anyway. I cant see a cats win here (I can however see KR beating the Pies tomorrow.)

Think only Tolouse will be making a trip for a final to the UK

Hmmmm….

• Haha 1

Sadly with the demise of Newcastle and the constant talk of restructuring  (Even though the Clubs always seem to vote for the status quo ) , what incentive does any Club  outside SL have to spend money on a Team to get promotion if there is the ever present possiblity of re-structuring happening ?  In my opinion this will just result in a lot of Clubs just treading water until they know exactly where they stand .   The present uncertainty is doing more harm than good to the game .

• Like 2

On 13/10/2023 at 15:20, ivans82 said:

Sadly with the demise of Newcastle and the constant talk of restructuring  (Even though the Clubs always seem to vote for the status quo ) , what incentive does any Club  outside SL have to spend money on a Team to get promotion if there is the ever present possiblity of re-structuring happening ?  In my opinion this will just result in a lot of Clubs just treading water until they know exactly where they stand .   The present uncertainty is doing more harm than good to the game .

The incentive is to build a club and not a team. Newcastle arguably did a lot right but have been sqeezed out, like Toronto and the other expansion clubs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

The incentive is to build a club and not a team. Newcastle arguably did a lot right but have been sqeezed out, like Toronto and the other expansion clubs. 

But where is the money coming from to build up clubs outside the top flight? it’s either make the game below the top flight poor on the pitch and build up the club or it’s neither for some clubs. 

3 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

But where is the money coming from to build up clubs outside the top flight? it’s either make the game below the top flight poor on the pitch and build up the club or it’s neither for some clubs. 

Well firstly you sell tickets to the games, you get sponsors and more importantly you build up the connections to the local communities and community clubs, schools. You get local businesses on board and hey presto you have a club.

Amateur clubs have no problem doing all of the above its the next level that can't or won't do this.

Just now, yipyee said:

Well firstly you sell tickets to the games, you get sponsors and more importantly you build up the connections to the local communities and community clubs, schools. You get local businesses on board and hey presto you have a club.

Amateur clubs have no problem doing all of the above its the next level that can't or won't do this.

That’s fantasy stuff though with no tv deals and nothing to play for. 

On 13/10/2023 at 15:20, ivans82 said:

At least we have a strong Championship if some League 1 teams be absorbed into it and then compare that to the English Rugby Union Championship and things don't look so badly.

• Confused 1

As a hurricanes season ticket holder last year I will not be renewing. 

I paid £100 for 10 home games. Lost Wales. So got 9. Then about 4 weeks notice we got told one was going on the road to derby. (Derby!) So I got 8. This year drop London and Newcastle and the fear they will drop a game to somewhere else to grow the game. ..... (Oxford would have been a better bet)

I don't see why I should pay what is likely to be the same cost for 60% of the matches. I'll stick to watchnrl and see a well organised system 

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

As a hurricanes season ticket holder last year I will not be renewing. 

I paid £100 for 10 home games. Lost Wales. So got 9. Then about 4 weeks notice we got told one was going on the road to derby. (Derby!) So I got 8. This year drop London and Newcastle and the fear they will drop a game to somewhere else to grow the game. ..... (Oxford would have been a better bet)

I don't see why I should pay what is likely to be the same cost for 60% of the matches. I'll stick to watchnrl and see a well organised system 

You could always buy a ticket for each game you want to watch, couldn’t you ? Not everyone buys a season ticket, it really isn’t that hard.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

You could always buy a ticket for each game you want to watch, couldn’t you ? Not everyone buys a season ticket, it really isn’t that hard.

The idea behind buying a season ticket at a lower league club isnt to guarantee a seat, thats already pretty much accepted. Its to put funds into the club pre season as much as anything, allowing them to build the squad etc. 

Currently we have no idea if we are buying 8 games, 6 games, or 100 games. Its an absolute shambles thats been allowed to rot and stagnate, to the point where I genuinely worry my team wont even have a league to play in next season. One more team just thinks "balls to this" and thats it, no season. This whole thing is impacting on the clubs, I know 2 or 3 lads who always buy season tickets who are the same as Midlands hobo, theres no point in buying one at this moment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

The idea behind buying a season ticket at a lower league club isnt to guarantee a seat, thats already pretty much accepted. Its to put funds into the club pre season as much as anything, allowing them to build the squad etc. 

Currently we have no idea if we are buying 8 games, 6 games, or 100 games. Its an absolute shambles thats been allowed to rot and stagnate, to the point where I genuinely worry my team wont even have a league to play in next season. One more team just thinks "balls to this" and thats it, no season. This whole thing is impacting on the clubs, I know 2 or 3 lads who always buy season tickets who are the same as Midlands hobo, theres no point in buying one at this moment.

The loss of goodwill is impossible to get back quickly.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, dkw said:

I fully understand this and I genuinely feel for the supporters, but I also can see it from champ clubs point of view too, they’ve already sold about 80% season tickets for nxt season for so many games, so adding more fixtures adds more costs, you could argue that with they don’t need to play more fixtures even if league one clubs are added but then you will have a league in a league, where some teams get easier fixtures than others, for me I don’t mind as imo their is nothing to play for, but as I’ve seen time and again on here when I say that other champ clubs fans believe their is so unfair fixtures could give a false champion. Then theirs the old adage of a team like say Batley(could be any team) losing an home game against bulls to be replaced with one against NW crusaders, so money loss their too. 

Edited by Rovers13

14 minutes ago, dkw said:

It's totally disgusting how League one teams are  being treated, something needs sorting FAST!

• Like 7