Toulouse or London

11 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Perhaps, so - but so be it if they weren't good enough. I want to see the best 16 clubs in the top division.

I know you are trying to get a bite.

Not at all.

Posted a few times I would have 14 teams with 2 up. One for the league winner and one from playoffs.

Makes for a better comp with no loop fixtures and 2 up and down gives the champ clubs a realistic pathway and incentive to invest knowing its not a long shot if they drop down.

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

The North/South divide can be amply illustrated by the fact that Leigh in Kent with a population of 1,106 has a train station, while Leigh, Lancs pop. 45,491 has not!! Both these figures from the 2021 census.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

The North/South divide can be amply illustrated by the fact that Leigh in Kent with a population of 1,106 has a train station, while Leigh, Lancs pop. 45,491 has not!! Both these figures from the 2021 census.

Hopefully Leigh get a chunk of the HS2 funds.

Maybe a shuttle service to Wigan station.

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Why Wigan when we have 2 Train Stations 3 to 4 miles away ?  We have no fewer than 6 in Warrington and my nearest Station is still more than 3 miles away !!

Anyway, back on Topic, I am not bothered who goes up to be honest but they are both severely underprepared for the big smoke. This SL season has been far better with a team going up breaking the shackles of relegation within the first 6 weeks.

Only Toulouse I feel may have a chance but 4 or 5 wins will still root them rock bottom.

Wakefield I feel will be strong next year, but I really hope that the stream wont be taken out of Featherstone's sails as they had no better chance of going up than this year. All the messing about with coaches really bit them on the backside !!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Why is not having a train station such a topic of discussion on various threads? I have lived in Leigh and Cheadle, both without a train station for over 50 years without difficulty. Do people not own cars like I have done since I was 22 years old. Leigh has always had a great bus service especially now with the V1 guided busway to Manchester.

Anyway with all the current strikes by drivers on £60.000 per annum, and the repeated lateness of the trains, have they got much of a future?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

If you're willing to be flexible with your league entry criteria, we have an Eastleigh down on the south coast. What's more, it has two train stations, an airport, and a nearby zoo that has Leopards.

But how does it grade on seating utilisation? 

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

Who is this Lenigan of whom you write so lovingly?

I think it must be Donny Lenigan, well known 60's band leader, recently starring in Leigh Leopards pre-match extravaganza.

You may remember their once famous (and I might add, still catchy) ''My old mans a dustman'' and ''Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight''.

Who could forget the unmatched ''Wabash Cannonball'', sadly no longer stopping at Leigh Central.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

Not at all.

Posted a few times I would have 14 teams with 2 up. One for the league winner and one from playoffs.

Makes for a better comp with no loop fixtures and 2 up and down gives the champ clubs a realistic pathway and incentive to invest knowing its not a long shot if they drop down.

Agree with you 100%, Leonard. 

• Like 1

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

5 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Wigan has two stations…about time they did some levelling up with the distribution of train stations and built two in Leigh.

Especially as Bradford are getting £2bn for an interchange.

10 hours ago, Leonard said:

There's a Leigh in Sussex and Kent near me.

Del should take them on the road to all the places in the UK called Leigh - like the Harlem Globbetrotters and use his private jet.

We must be neighbours then. We are between a couple of them, and I often pass through Kent’s version on the way to Tonbridge… I can’t get used to the way they mispronounce it. They do have a train station, though. 

10 hours ago, Leonard said:

There's a Leigh in Sussex and Kent near me.

Del should take them on the road to all the places in the UK called Leigh - like the Harlem Globbetrotters and use his private jet.

I know that's a bit if a joke .....but is there possibly a tiny bit of something in it? 

Links to the other Leigh's? Maybe some schools work or even an on the road preseason game?

Somerset has a Leigh too - Leigh-on-Mendip.

I once went to a meeting in the church there in my time working for the Diocese of Bath & Wells.  I cannot recall how they pronounced 'Leigh', but I think it was probably like 'lie' in RP English.

It didn't have a railway station, but then one of Somerset's dubious boasts is to have a city without a railway station!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

...one of Somerset's dubious boasts is to have a city without a railway station!

As does Yorkshire - Ripon.

Wells of course, despite being a city has a smaller population than even Featherstone. Ripon's is slightly larger than both.

• Like 2