Newcastle Thunder

People probably know but I'm a Thunder season ticket holder and desperately hoping the rumours I've seen in the last half hour or so aren't true.

As with every club, there's people involved currently who care massively for rugby league and Thunder. Would be gutted for everyone.

• Like 16
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Phil W said:

People probably know but I'm a Thunder season ticket holder and desperately hoping the rumours I've seen in the last half hour or so aren't true.

As with every club, there's people involved currently who care massively for rugby league and Thunder. Would be gutted for everyone.

I desperately hope it's not true as well. Would be gutting for you all obviously, and the wider game. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Indigogo said:

Reports and rumours coming out that they are folding as a club. Statement tomorrow apparently.

Being under the same ownership as an RU club, they've probably been doubly affected.  The financial provider of both sports have likely had an impact. 

Very sad if true, the Thunder fans have always been passionate even if few in number, where does this leave League 1 now? I have an awful feeling that they might not be the only ones to go before next season starts, as it is the League is barely sustainable.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

Very sad if true, the Thunder fans have always been passionate even if few in number, where does this leave League 1 now? I have an awful feeling that they might not be the only ones to go before next season starts, as it is the League is barely sustainable.

This is what worries me tbh, especially once teams see their Gradings, owners if they get a C especially could say nope not investing all that time, effort and money into building to an A grade. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

But remember RFL dont care - only interested in SG

• Like 6

It would be devastating for everyone involved with the sport in that part of the country but looking at the bigger picture it would kill League One in its current format. There's already some disgruntled clubs who aren't happy at running with eight.

An eight team league doesn't work but I also don't think you can put them all into the Championship without damaging that competition by making it too many fixtures and also some monumental mismatches which do nothing for anyone.

Super League won't be allowing more teams to come up for next season so we are in a tricky spot as a sport.

• Like 1

Sad news if true, RL needs a team in the North East, plenty of opportunities, which the RFL need to grab with both hands.. 

I do worry about who is next from League 1 or the Championship, as this is only going one way so far

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Colin James said:

They possibly should have prevented them going full time two years ago?

And would have been accused of holding a club back and typical small time RL, etc, etc.  

• Like 6

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!