All Super League Matches Live - Confirmed

LeeF

33 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’m maybe giving Sky too much credit here, but hopefully building such a library of content might put us in the realms of having a dedicated RL channel, or at least a domination of the Arena schedules. It amazes me how little archive footage they show compared to football other than the odd Grand Final Gold. 

Honest question Matt, will a dedicated  RL channel put more money in the clubs tills?

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sad, because I quantified that post.  Sorry there are no stats for you to quote.

Why are you sad.  I was agreeing with your post that you cannot form a conclusion by looking at a small sample (your examples that a 6ft man cannot be used to argue that all men are 6ft).

Or are you sad because this is the exact reason why you cannot use a sample size of 3 to conclude the attendances at Leigh next year and you have effectively disproved your own argument?

• Confused 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hiding the sport away is really poor.

You don’t seem to want these games broadcast so do you just want to continue with what were doing now now? If not what is your suggestion to move the game and its image forward?

We both have an opinion on this, but it will be easily measured next season, just take the corresponding fixtures this season and compare with the attendances next year, and no excuses if the schedules include Monday's to Friday evening's.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

We both have an opinion on this, but it will be easily measured next season, just take the corresponding fixtures this season and compare with the attendances next year, and no excuses if the schedules include Monday's to Friday evening's.

No, you can’t just look at standalone fixtures and compare because there are other variables including the day and time of the games and the form of the the two teams.

We can compare Season Ticket sales and average attendances but again it’s not absolute because there are other factors that can influence this not just the TV deal.

Again Harry, what would you prefer, just to carry on as we are? No tv games at all?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Honest question Matt, will a dedicated  RL channel put more money in the clubs tills?

It increases visibility of the game and that is certainly something we lack, so ultimately it leads to more interest and, eventually, more money coming in to the game. It certainly wouldn’t do it any harm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

How much is the new deal worth?

Believe it went from £40 million per year to £25 million per year for the last 2 years.

It's worth 21.5 million £ per year, which is 4.5 million £ more than Sky's original offer of 17 million £.  We can thank interest from DAZN and others for getting Sky to improve it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Do you think all clubs will grasp the nettle with pitch side advertising?

All of them should be able to make a bit extra with it, but the smarter ones will make more.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

And shirts sponsorship, there’s lots of opportunity to grow corporate income on the back of more people watching the games.

Well, existing sponsorship locations will become more valuable, but the change to the perimeter advertising agreement is new and pretty major. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well, existing sponsorship locations will become more valuable, but the change to the perimeter advertising agreement is new and pretty major. 

Things like LED perimeters are a must. Lots we’re getting their knickers in a twist over them in the grading - but such a money spinner

6 hours ago, Damien said:

This agreement also sees at least a halving of the TV deal from the one that finished in 2021 and each club now getting around 700k less than they did 2 years ago. In real terms taking into account inflation clubs are easily seeing a £1m plus reduction from much of the 2016-2021 period.

The sport is literally giving away content for considerably less. The monetary loss to the sport is far in excess of the cost of filming 4 more games to a higher standard. If this deal sees more mid week games with more games of a Thursday, or even earlier in the week, it will undoubtedly affect clubs income at the gate. Thursday games already show that. The Friday, Saturday and Sunday games should be fine I'd imagine.

Do you really think the upside is anywhere near close to making up the loss the sport is facing with this deal? 

The previous rights deals gave SL very little right to do anything with the content without contravening exclusivity or agreements with Sky. Clubs couldn't, for example, post match footage on social media until a certain period (by which time, the moment had usually gone).

So if the trade off is that we give up some of that premium in return for much more control over our own rights, that's not an inherently bad position to be in.

This forum is often full of complaints that Sky don't showcase the sport enough - now SL is holding the basket that those eggs are sitting in. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but what nights/days are the games likely going to be shown? Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon, Sunday evening?

Nobody knows.

Maybe it will be announced once all the season ticket renewal deadlines have passed?

Hopefully this deal will stop the situation of one game televised on a Thursday and the rest played on Friday night. As a Leigh fan, I have had first experience of travelling to Yorkshire on a Friday night during rush hour. Surely now all derbies should be played Thursday/Friday nights  and the rest on Saturday/Sunday.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

@whatmichaelsaysisn't wrong- it's 100% right- but our chief way of monetarising content is ticket sales (after tv deal) 

It's very hard to monetarise content via other means to the extent that makes a big difference

Also maybe it's time we stop comparing to halcyon £40m a year deal. It's gone, not coming back and we need to adjust and move on? 

Personally I think new deal a bit meh- but we have to appreciate that it could have been worse and likely opportunities balance the threats (some awful management speak for you there!) 

I don't argue that ticket sales aren't important, but I do think the focus on them leads us to bad conclusions on the direction of the sport..

There is scant, if any, evidence that there is any meaningful growth opportunity in ticket sales. If there were, we'd be realising that opportunity, but the league's average attendance stats seem to depend more on which teams get promoted / relegated than any meaningful signs of growth. 

There is however a whole digital media industry that has evolved over the course of the 2010s/20s that I would argue RL has been largely unsophisticated in taking advantage of, even though it would allow them to reach and monetise audiences that it would overwise struggle to reach. Whilst Wigan were lifting the trophy last night, there was another event across town, watched by millions, that only existed because of YouTube..That's not to say RL can or should reach that level, but it's an example of how digital media can reach, build and profit from audiences that probably wouldn't have bothered to watch - and certainly not pay to watch - that sort of event before.

That, in my view, has much bigger growth opportunity than trying to come up with more ideas to try and fail to add another 1k on the gate at Huddersfield.

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 2