Sat 4th Nov: Third Test: England v Tonga KO 2.30pm @ Headingley (BBC One)

Who will win?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/23 at 15:00

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Haven't seen this one....might watch tommorow afternoon H

It is quite a difference from today's style of rugby Bronco, from the start you will notice how much deeper the attacking lines are and how the ball is passed much more than today with player's running from deep positions onto to ball, so different to the 'flat passes or line passes' that dominate today's game. Only my opinion but I believe it was a better game to watch but not long after a matter of only a very few years later the emphasis changed in the game when much more attention to defensive structures by coaches became and still are much more prominent, - I know I was coaching at the time, and obviously the tackling was much more ferocious back then.

Anyway don't miss it, make your own mind up and please let me know what you think I am very interested as to your thoughts.

Harry.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It is quite a difference from today's style of rugby Bronco, from the start you will notice how much deeper the attacking lines are and how the ball is passed much more than today with player's running from deep positions onto to ball, so different to the 'flat passes or line passes' that dominate today's game. Only my opinion but I believe it was a better game to watch but not long after a matter of only a very few years later the emphasis changed in the game when much more attention to defensive structures by coaches became and still are much more prominent, - I know I was coaching at the time, and obviously the tackling was much more ferocious back then.

Anyway don't miss it, make your own mind up and please let me know what you think I am very interested as to your thoughts.

Harry.

Your opinion H. But I also remember around that time. And there were people saying that the game wasn't as good as in the 60's with (list players of choice). You make some fair points but it's mostly about your age and perspective. 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

Your opinion H. But I also remember around that time. And there were people saying that the game wasn't as good as in the 60's with (list players of choice). You make some fair points but it's mostly about your age and perspective. 👍🏻

Yes we all think before was better, I have the proof everyday when I look in the mirror😏, but anyway I have posted a link to a test match played nearly 40 years ago, presumably you will be watching today's test match, to prove your point or otherwise MP, don't leave it to long before watching both for comparison purposes, time doesn't always improve things for the better, but make your own mind up, I have no issue either way.

In my post I did not shove it down anyone's throat, I did say in my opinion, do you mean perspective talking?

2 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'm going to be away in the middle of nowhere (remote Highlands) this weekend so will have to hope for a signal occasionally to look here for a score update. If you're going make a bit of noise and show the players a bit of gratitude. 😎

Sorry just seen this after posting my other reply, give it 4 hours on return and watch the games back to back.

On 02/11/2023 at 15:59, StandOffHalf said:

Lewis should be in the 17 after the way he's played.

I saw a comment on social media from somebody deeply affected by Lewis's absence from the squad. The comment went along the lines of :

"How could they drop Mikey Lewis?, I hope George Williams gets sent off after 10 minutes and Tonga thrash England"

Even allowing for where that probably emanated from, it's a tad extreme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 minute ago, Old Frightful said:

I saw a comment on social media from somebody deeply affected by Lewis's absence from the squad. The comment went along the lines of :

"How could they drop Mikey Lewis?, I hope George Williams gets sent off after 10 minutes and Tonga thrash England"

Your right, sorry.  I was just feeling emotional. 

• Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The Tongan middles look like they are down to bare bones.

They have Keaon Koloamatangi and Felise Kaufusi starting in the middle at 10 and 13... both edge forwards in their club teams.

I think England may dominate this up front.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Kevin Brown is so much better to listen to as a pundit than Jon Wilkin. 

He's done a bit of work behind the microphone with BBC radio and (I think) some streamed matches. He comes across well on air - articulate, likeable and knowledgable.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I guess they weren't watching last week.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

He's done a bit of work behind the microphone with BBC radio and (I think) some streamed matches. He comes across well on air - articulate, likeable and knowledgable.

I like him. He's really grown into the role.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

Big Konrad is either having the game of his life or a shocker.  

He'll have to wipe his eyes or he won't see the ball.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

God, we don't half make it hard for ourselves.  The ref is from one of the countries playing and a player is in the wrong shirt.

Doesn't matter how food the product is, we just look amateurish sometimes.