Wigan v Penrith World Club challenge at the JJB

Good luck to Wigan. I hope they do it. (Can’t believe I’m saying that being a Leyther) 

It’s a great concept and filling the JJB is taking longer than I thought. After witnessing first hand the 1987 game against Manly, this match should be the number one match on the agenda. 

Let’s hope we get the tours back on track and improve the profile and product of our great game overall. 

Looking forward to it. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Good luck to Wigan. I hope they do it. (Can’t believe I’m saying that being a Leyther) 

It’s a great concept and filling the JJB is taking longer than I thought. After witnessing first hand the 1987 game against Manly, this match should be the number one match on the agenda. 

Let’s hope we get the tours back on track and improve the profile and product of our great game overall. 

Looking forward to it. 

The tickets only went on sale 5 days before Christmas. They have sold over 22.000 tickets over the Christmas period, when a lot of peoples money is tied up elsewhere.

There are posts on social media that people are hoping there are tickets left when their next pay day comes around as they are skint.

• Like 4

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

18 hours ago, Padge said:

The tickets only went on sale 5 days before Christmas. They have sold over 22.000 tickets over the Christmas period, when a lot of peoples money is tied up elsewhere.

There are posts on social media that people are hoping there are tickets left when their next pay day comes around as they are skint.

I remember being questioned on the Wigan forum for getting annoyed about the gap between announcement of the game and tickets being on sale, wanting the biggest chance of a sell-out. There were some views that actually they should be released later in Jan/Feb when Xmas is out of the way . . . . . absolute madness.

This is a case in point that you get the tickets out ASAP after the game is announced and you go all out to sell the place out. There were literally people saying to me "it's not a big deal, everyone who wants a ticket will get one" - as if the aim was NOT to sell out so that people could get a ticket easily! RL logic at its best.

Our group have our tix and I'm really looking forward to a big occassion (and to hopefully annoying some wiganers in the pub whilst watching the televised saints game beforehand assuming its the Beeb pick 🙂 )

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 1

I noticed over the weekend that you couldn't get 2 seats together anywhere, with only the few odd sporadic seat available. They have now put the side sections of the North Stand on sale, which obviously bodes well for the attendance, so those wanting more than 1 seat can now buy.

Edited by Damien

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I noticed over the weekend that you couldn't get 2 seats together anywhere, with only the few odd sporadic seat available. They have now put the side sections of the North Stand on sale, which obviously bodes well for the attendance, so those wanting more than 1 seat can now buy.

Good news but always a problem with all seater stadiums when you want to go say as a couple but only 1 seated tickets are available to purchase. 

Still, should easily sell out but I will still stand by that I would have thought it would have sold out by now. 

4 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

I remember being questioned on the Wigan forum for getting annoyed about the gap between announcement of the game and tickets being on sale, wanting the biggest chance of a sell-out. There were some views that actually they should be released later in Jan/Feb when Xmas is out of the way . . . . . absolute madness.

This is a case in point that you get the tickets out ASAP after the game is announced and you go all out to sell the place out. There were literally people saying to me "it's not a big deal, everyone who wants a ticket will get one" - as if the aim was NOT to sell out so that people could get a ticket easily! RL logic at its best.

Our group have our tix and I'm really looking forward to a big occassion (and to hopefully annoying some wiganers in the pub whilst watching the televised saints game beforehand assuming its the Beeb pick 🙂 )

They were waiting for the time to pass when season ticket holders could no longer claim there seat.  The renewal date was set well before a decision date was made for the match.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

lets hope the game is not ruined by over zealous reffing and pedantic stop start penalties and is a good old traditional international clash and free flowing ding dong

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 15/01/2024 at 19:11, Snowys Backside said:

Good news but always a problem with all seater stadiums when you want to go say as a couple but only 1 seated tickets are available to purchase. 

They’ve opened up a couple of the “edge” blocks now, so you can get seats together again

lets hope none of the panthers top stars decide to stay at home after been told they have to attend and sit through a full soccer match - although I suppose some of them could fake illness and stay back at the hotel and watch a movie instead

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Thought I already had tickets through a mate but don't so just desperately bought some in the North stand. Is there any obstructed views in the stadium or NS1 specifically I know the side supports for the roof are quite thick?

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

4 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Thought I already had tickets through a mate but don't so just desperately bought some in the North stand. Is there any obstructed views in the stadium or NS1 specifically I know the side supports for the roof are quite thick?

There isn't an obstructed view anywhere. Obviously some seats are naturally better than others as with any ground but in terms of a clear view of the pitch there are no poor seats.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Said it before Keith but just look at the website See My View for the DW and  a photo of your view from NS1 is there. 

Good spot. No obstructions.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Damien said:

There isn't an obstructed view anywhere. Obviously some seats are naturally better than others as with any ground but in terms of a clear view of the pitch there are no poor seats.

I've been watching Wigan Athletic a few times in the recent past and I'd probably had more entertainment if the seats faced the other way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 16/01/2024 at 09:03, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Marvelous.  The Rugby League public in Wigan, as no doubt the rest of the Super League fan base would, are flocking to see their team against the best of the NRL.

Logical conclusion.  Play the next game in Las Vegas.

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Playing the game in Las Vegas is about as daft as it gets. Wigan will almost certainly sell out.

The probable reason behind this is that folk in the RFL at present get a freebie to Wigan, Leeds or Saints.  A game in Vegas and the RFL bods get a freebie to the good old USA!

• Like 2

On 16/01/2024 at 19:03, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Thats logical….make and absolute success of hosting the game at the participants home ground so now take it to the other side of the world.

I can feel another call for RL world cup in the US coming……

15 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Thats logical….make and absolute success of hosting the game at the participants home ground so now take it to the other side of the world.

I can feel another call for RL world cup in the US coming……

Doubt it for the WCC, but if the NRL Vegas series is a success I can see there being potential for interest in an 8 team US WC for 2030 played in the western states as that is much easier for the NRL based players than coming to Europe. Most likely to be back in the UK though (and go 2013 style) as a safer financial bet.

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

shame its not a packed central park 

Tesco on payday is hell on earth - let's count our blessings.

• Haha 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson