Cornwall - how long do you give them?

On 21/11/2023 at 12:14, Midlands hobo said:

Original idea was Cornish pirates aka Penzance newlyn would move there as the main tenant and Truro city would be secondary. Even Cornish sharks American football team under Brian Smallworth were in the running to use it 

That’s not quite true about the Sharks, them along with Cornish Rebels amateur RL where invited to meetings around the Cornish Pirates vision for S4C and both the Sharks and Rebels would of been offered use of the community pitch that was planned to be on the site. 

On 21/11/2023 at 10:09, Midlands hobo said:

I grew up in Plymouth and I remember hearing about the stadium for Cornwall /Truro city ground has been talked about for easily 20years. Even had CGI displays on BBC spotlight etc. still nowhere closer to being built.

The Acle Straight will be dualled and Cas will have a new stand before that’s ever built - ie never. 

8 hours ago, CornishRebel said:

That’s not quite true about the Sharks, them along with Cornish Rebels amateur RL where invited to meetings around the Cornish Pirates vision for S4C and both the Sharks and Rebels would of been offered use of the community pitch that was planned to be on the site. 

And Smallworth started the sharks what 16/17 years ago? And still nowhere closer to being built

13 minutes ago, Coggo said:

Perez buys Truro City FC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67546796

I guess that confirms Cornwall will move to Truro when their new ground is ready.

Not exactly the most inspiring quotes from Perez in terms of rugby league:

"I don't think too many people would say 'let's buy a football club to support a rugby league club', I think that's a strange play to make," he said.

"I'm a football fanatic, a lot of people on the group are football fanatics and we're here to take this club up, that's what we're here for.

"If it wasn't for the rugby league club we wouldn't know about this operating environment so that is a factor, but we're talking football."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

"I don't think too many people would say 'let's buy a football club to support a rugby league club', I think that's a strange play to make," he said.

"I'm a football fanatic, a lot of people on the group are football fanatics and we're here to take this club up, that's what we're here for.

"If it wasn't for the rugby league club we wouldn't know about this operating environment so that is a factor, but we're talking football."

Just read that myself - feels like a ‘we’ve ended up in Cornwall and it’s shown us a massive opportunity we didn’t know about, let’s do football’

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Just read that myself - feels like a ‘we’ve ended up in Cornwall and it’s shown us a massive opportunity we didn’t know about, let’s do football’

Indeed.

I suppose on the upside if the article is accurate they're not giving up on RL - they'll need another tenant for the stadium and with Pirates staying in Penzance there's opportunity for the RL side to carve a small niche.

But it doesn't sound like the group will be pumping significant investment funds into the RL club, football is the focus for growth now and the RL club will have to wash it's own face, albeit with potentially a good stadium to work out of.

Time will tell if Cornwall RL is embedded enough now to survive. I hope so.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Indeed.

I suppose on the upside if the article is accurate they're not giving up on RL - they'll need another tenant for the stadium and with Pirates staying in Penzance there's opportunity for the RL side to carve a small niche.

But it doesn't sound like the group will be pumping significant investment funds into the RL club, football is the focus for growth now and the RL club will have to wash it's own face, albeit with potentially a good stadium to work out of.

Time will tell if Cornwall RL is embedded enough now to survive. I hope so.

All the while, in an RU focused area, sitting on the wreckage of Pirates’ dreams. It’s not exactly an auspicious launch platform even though it’s not their fault. 

hmm 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coggo said:

Perez buys Truro City FC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67546796

I guess that confirms Cornwall will move to Truro when their new ground is ready.

Truro FC wont be allowed into the National League proper with a ground capacity of 3,000 is my understanding. I wonder if Perez is aware of this?

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Perez is addressing that to the football fans who need reassuring. It's exactly what I would say to them.

• Like 8

Just now, Archie Gordon said:

Perez is addressing that to the football fans who need reassuring. It's exactly what I would say to them.

True, but I also think he means it. I don't think this is a Trojan Horse for rugby league.

But I suppose we should see it all in perspective. It's still amazing that Cornwall RL has existed at all and every year they keep going - even as a tenant of Truro FC - is a win for rugby league. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

True, but I also think he means it. I don't think this is a Trojan Horse for rugby league.

But I suppose we should see it all in perspective. It's still amazing that Cornwall RL has existed at all and every year they keep going - even as a tenant of Truro FC - is a win for rugby league. 

It moves them to being a tenant of the same guy who owns them. That feels like a step forward, albeit not a massive one.

• Like 9

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It moves them to being a tenant of the same guy who owns them. That feels like a step forward, albeit not a massive one.

Yes, it's potentially a small step forward in terms of the ground, as there wasn't much scope for growth at Penryn. But the RL club isn't going to be the main focus of the ownership group any more and so we'll have to see what effect that has. I don't know how much they've put in each season up to now. 

From reading that article, I’d have more worries if I was a Pirates fan. 

"It is a sadness for Pirates to have to give up their ambition for a permanent home in Truro, but the bigger reality of my declining health and sunset funding means that sensible governance decisions needed to be made to secure the future of both clubs," Evans said.

"With Truro City in good hands, I am now totally focussed on passing on the Pirates baton to new rugby owners. Cornish Pirates will remain in Penzance, their home and heartland. 

• Like 2

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

5 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

if i was buying a soccer club to improve the commercial future for my RL club i'd say exactly what he's saying.  Perez is an RL nut, maybe he loves soccer too and he wants to grow both but my gut reaction is that this is hugely positive for Cornwall RLFC.  Even better if it sidelines the rah rahs at the same time.

• Like 6

A 5 Min BBC Cornwall Interview with Perez ft. the relationship with Cornwall RLFC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gwtbwk
Seems like if they can structure it correctly, there could be a lot of synergies to reduce overheads in a modern stadium that Cornwall RLFC will be part of.

The fact its in with the Football club can only be a positive for brand awareness and engagement in Cornwall. Esp. with the Pirates half an hour down the road in their old dilapidated ground well away from the major conurbations of the county. It's now a case of building the brand and becoming the #1 rugby club in the county.

The income potential surely must be better not having to pay rent to Penryn RFC etc. The fact this is RL folks buying a Football club, should be a positive for the RL club's future.

IMG point win with ownership of the ground too...

Edited by tiffers
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Securing Cornwall's financial future by buying Truro City FC will only pay off if Perez is serious about pushing Truro to greater levels. So I'm sure he's genuine, and will invest to raise Truro up the leagues. Stadium upscaling should be possible if need be. He's right about the potential and rewards of trying to get a Cornwall team into the football league.

Edited by HawkMan

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Seems pretty similar to Sheffield Eagles/Sheffield FC future set up. All good!

I have no idea how many clubs have shared facilities but to me it makes sense.  Even a season ticket/membership for both soccer and RL might just be a good way forward .  Good groundsman is essential!

• Like 1