Magic Weekend

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Double headers, triple headers ... whatever headers ... I would like to repeat my key and essential point: they are terrible ideas and work so rarely as to render them a permanently bad idea.

Someone said - maybe you? - have Leeds copy RU's 'Big Match' (as they have before) and take that single focused event to Elland Road. Maybe have other clubs copy it if they can.

But this is pitiful and trying to get any life out of it by diluting it further is even worse.

Yeah I'm not fan either to be honest. Just think if we have to do this we can do it better.

It blows my mind that we couldn't even try a Tonga international at Elland Road but are going to stick Magic there.

Just now, Damien said:

It blows my mind that we couldn't even try a Tonga international at Elland Road but are going to stick Magic there.

That's a really good way of expressing it.

It's just a bafflingly awful decision.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

42 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Chris if you are paying an employee, and they had a certain expertise wouldn't you expect their assistance especially in that they are going to receive some of the profit- eventually.

You would. If their manager gave them the opportunity. In this case I think it is quite obvious they didn't.

It really does feel that we are now persisting with Magic and loop fixtures beyond all reason now. After completely ignoring IMG's recommendation, and I'm far from convinced a majority of fans want it but appreciate some like it, we still have Magic and we still have loop fixtures despite it being clear that fans dont want them.

The game craves for clear leadership and to be taken by the scruff of the neck.

9 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Does anyone know who made the decision?

The current structure does mean everyone can pass the buck to everyone else, it seems.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Thinking about it maybe this is just a stroke of genius by the RFL and IMG. The IMG recommendation was to scrap it but the clubs said no. What better way to destroy it and kill it off than play it at Elland Road?

Destroys the expansion argument? Tick

Destroys the playing to new audience argument? Tick

Low crowd destroys the finance argument? Tick

Playing it in an old football stadium destroys the marquee ground argument? Tick

This leaves absolutely no justification for Magic. What a genius move!

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

It really does feel that we are now persisting with Magic and loop fixtures beyond all reason now. After completely ignoring IMG's recommendation, and I'm far from convinced a majority of fans want it but appreciate some like it, we still have Magic and we still have loop fixtures despite it being clear that fans dont want them.

The game craves for clear leadership and to be taken by the scruff of the neck.

Ah but anything wrong with the sport now provides a perfect opportunity to have a go at IMG, even if it is completely outside their remit or going against their recommendation. This thread would be half the size if you took any posts relating to IMG out.

There is a different perspective from us Leigh fans. Last year was only our 3rd appearance at Magic Weekend, and our 1st victory, so obviously we can’t wait for this year’s event.

As for Elland Road, its capacity is just under 38,000 and going off previous attendances at MW, it should be almost full for both days, which should ensure a cracking atmosphere. As for dislike of loop fixtures, Derek tried to achieve a 14 team Superleague when we were in the Championship, but through self interest he was double crossed. Superleague teams will never vote for 1/14 of the pie rather than 1/12.

1 minute ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

There is a different perspective from us Leigh fans. Last year was only our 3rd appearance at Magic Weekend, and our 1st victory, so obviously we can’t wait for this year’s event.

As for Elland Road, its capacity is just under 38,000 and going off previous attendances at MW, it should be almost full for both days, which should ensure a cracking atmosphere. As for dislike of loop fixtures, Derek tried to achieve a 14 team Superleague when we were in the Championship, but through self interest he was double crossed. Superleague teams will never vote for 1/14 of the pie rather than 1/12.

I've been to a number of Magic Weekends, both while Leigh are playing and as a neutral while we've been in the Championship. But to be honest, I've never actually been a massive fan of the concept. I think you need to earn a place at a showpiece event, and more emphasis should be on the two finals.

The finals feel like an event, Magic weekend can be an endurance test, and will be even more so at Elland Road. If the Leigh game is at at decent time, I'll probably go to that, but wont be watching 3 games in a day. I suspect the proportion of ticket holders who only see their team's game will be higher than ever next year.

The refusal to go to 14 teams is infuriating, and shows the real issue with the sport lies with the fact clubs have to vote through anything meaningful. It's meant we now have an half baked grading system, and Magic weekend that has been moved to the periphery, rather than scrapped altogether as per the recommendation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Chris if you are paying an employee, and they had a certain expertise wouldn't you expect their assistance especially in that they are going to receive some of the profit- eventually.

Adviser aitch, not employee. Advice is there to be used or ignored.

• Like 1

Elland Road has great potential and history as a venue for RL matches but for Magic it certainly seems underwhelming at present.

It is clearly a 2nd choice after Newcastle was unable to host. It is not an ideal stadium for a long whole day event like magic and its location isn't great (though isn't the tragedy some melodramatics would have you believe). There's a lot of potential for events/facilities around the ground particularly on the Lowfields Road side. 

I expect the upper East stand won't be open for magic so the lower bowl looks like it will be where the crowd are.

I should add I almost invariably expect the RFL to go with Headingley as a Challenge Cup Semi Final venue if its possible too. Plus some loop fixtures for clubs. Hope everyone likes Leeds! 😅

• Like 1

I’m gutted it’s leaving Newcastle.  The event was well supported by the Council and the NUFC ticket office.  I used to attend both days for all of the games and take my son.

Moving to Elland Road is galling given it is an inferior stadium, this is less good but not awful.  What is awful is the area Elland Road is in, like many stadiums including e.g. Anfield is rubbish and the total opposite of the city centre location of St James.

Given the WC Samoa attendance and Magic Weekend successful attendances over the years, it feels sad and foolish that the RFL/SL/IMG don’t seem bothered about holding any events at St James Park moving forward.  There is a local audience here for big events (particularly now the football is increasingly difficult to get into) and supporters seem to enjoy a day or weekend in the Toon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

This is kind of the point of it being scrapped i think. 

The problem with Magic is ATEOTD it is just a round of SL fixtures, now personally I don’t think that’s enough of a selling point to a wider audience, Magic either needs fundamentally changing or scrapping.

The NRL Magic Weekend is also just a regular round and it does very well. I don't think it's the sporting contests that are the issue with the event.

1 minute ago, Coastal_Geordie said:

I’m gutted it’s leaving Newcastle.  The event was well supported by the Council and the NUFC ticket office.  I used to attend both days for all of the games and take my son.

Moving to Elland Road is galling given it is an inferior stadium, this is less good but not awful.  What is awful is the area Elland Road is in, like many stadiums including e.g. Anfield is rubbish and the total opposite of the city centre location of St James.

Given the WC Samoa attendance and Magic Weekend successful attendances over the years, it feels sad and foolish that the RFL/SL/IMG don’t seem bothered about holding any events at St James Park moving forward.  There is a local audience here for big events (particularly now the football is increasingly difficult to get into) and supporters seem to enjoy a day or weekend in the Toon.

I don't think St James' Park was an option for next year. Otherwise it would've stayed there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

A suggestion, have two venues the same weekend, and I would near enough guarantee that there would be combined bigger crowds, one West of the Pennines one East, on the west we have Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Salford and Leigh add Catalan to that and we have 3 games, on the east, Hull FC and KR, Leeds, Huddersfield and Castleford add London and that is 3 games.

Sky still have the the weekend jamboree to broadcast over the two days, travelling not hard for the majority except London and Catalan but they would not bring many anyway, what's not to like, and as for selling to the same audience it is for many going to watch their own teams not internationals.

Wigan vs Leigh, St Helens vs Warrington and Salford vs Catalans at the Etihad could sell well if marketed.

Likewise for Hull vs Hull Kr, Leeds vs Castleford and Huddersfield vs London at Elland Rd

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The NRL Magic Weekend is also just a regular round and it does very well. 

Draws about the same as a regular round of fixtures - so similar to Magic in the UK.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Elland Road has great potential and history as a venue for RL matches but for Magic it certainly seems underwhelming at present.

It is clearly a 2nd choice after Newcastle was unable to host. It is not an ideal stadium for a long whole day event like magic and its location isn't great (though isn't the tragedy some melodramatics would have you believe). There's a lot of potential for events/facilities around the ground particularly on the Lowfields Road side. 

I expect the upper East stand won't be open for magic so the lower bowl looks like it will be where the crowd are.

I should add I almost invariably expect the RFL to go with Headingley as a Challenge Cup Semi Final venue if its possible too. Plus some loop fixtures for clubs. Hope everyone likes Leeds! 😅

They will have to open it purely on the basis that so many tickets will be sold for each day via the various clubs. Might even sell out. But fewer fans than ever before will stick around to watch any games other than their own teams. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1