Every Super League 2024 home shirt ranked

THE new season is fast approaching and no doubt many rugby league supporters – if not so keen on some of the more bizarre club...

View the full article

• Like 1

Rugby League World magazine is published every month, available on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @rlworld / Instagram @rlworld / Threads @rlworld
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/rugbyleagueworld

Sorry to seem grumpy but does anyone bloody care what their clubs kit looks like. Personally, like the article says, a red vee is a red vee. Just another way for the clubs to rob £50+ from the punters (probably exceeding £200 after you include away, third and training kits).

I know clubs need to generate income but I feel the amount of rubbish they peddle is borderline exploitative.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

Sorry to seem grumpy but does anyone bloody care what their clubs kit looks like. Personally, like the article says, a red vee is a red vee. Just another way for the clubs to rob £50+ from the punters (probably exceeding £200 after you include away, third and training kits).

I know clubs need to generate income but I feel the amount of rubbish they peddle is borderline exploitative.

With the awful TV deal and high end sponsors showing little to no interest in RL, where else do you suggest clubs get their money from? I do know what you mean, but I'm not sure they have much choice but to milk it for all its worth. And after all, no one is making you buy it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MZH said:

With the awful TV deal and high end sponsors showing little to no interest in RL, where else do you suggest clubs get their money from? I do know what you mean, but I'm not sure they have much choice but to milk it for all its worth. And after all, no one is making you buy it.

Quite right, people buy merchandise because they want to and it makes them happy. I love representing my club by wearing a hat or a shirt or something when I'm out and about. It puts a smile on my face and makes me feel proud of my club. I also support a non-league football team and again, I love walking through town to games sporting a bobble hat with the teams name and badge on it. I wanted to spend £15 on that hat for a 10th tier football team because I felt I was helping the club by giving them a bit of money. 

8 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Err yes there's always a massive thread on it tbh lol. Happy New year 🎉 

Edited by Mumby Magic
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

20 hours ago, sam4731 said:

I certainly care and so do my kids, and seemingly many others do too judging by the new kit thread. If the kit is a cracker then my kids will certainly want it. If not they usually aren't fussed. At the end of the day people have no obligation to buy these things.

For me its a very obvious representation of the club and the brand. As such clubs should see it as an important thing to get right.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

I certainly care and so do my kids, and seemingly many others do too judging by the new kit. If the kit is a cracker then my kids will certainly want it. If not they usually aren't fussed. At the end of the day people have no obligation to buy these things.

For me its a very obvious representation of the club and the brand. As such clubs should see it as an important thing to get right.

But so often get it wrong IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MZH said:

TV deal is peanuts we should have said fekk it and walked away, Leigh’s home is brilliant quality and looks fantastic on the away has been given a sneak preview tonight and looks the dogs danglies. Loads of positives in RL circles just need to have the gonads to break away from Sky

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

TV deal is peanuts we should have said fekk it and walked away, Leigh’s home is brilliant quality and looks fantastic on the away has been given a sneak preview tonight and looks the dogs danglies. Loads of positives in RL circles just need to have the gonads to break away from Sky

You’re right, we should have walked away and…..oh actually, maybe not, as then the sport would have been bust in a full time professional environment. Absolutely zero chance of getting bigger sponsors then, eh 🙈

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

If RL said no to Sky then most of the teams currently in SL would be bankrupt/go into administration within a few years without serious cut backs. Even with a TV deal that is "peanuts"

17 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Sorry to seem grumpy but does anyone bloody care what their clubs kit looks like.

Yes, people care.

Oddly, because people can care about a lot of things in many different ways, with varying degrees of priority.

I care in one way that I've had to get my MP involved because my son's essential medication is unavailable and I care in another that rugby league clubs seem incapable of properly integrating every sponsor onto their shirts.

We contain multitudes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, philipw said:

You’re right, we should have walked away and…..oh actually, maybe not, as then the sport would have been bust in a full time professional environment. Absolutely zero chance of getting bigger sponsors then, eh 🙈

We need to build the value we can’t do that via sky in the uk continually driving the price down whilst putting subs up - we can overcome any shortfalll in Y2 imo

7 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

We need to build the value we can’t do that via sky in the uk continually driving the price down whilst putting subs up - we can overcome any shortfalll in Y2 imo

You think we could survive as a full time, top class sporting comp for a period with Sky money AND cover an extra approx £20m after a year of no tv deal? How do you see that working in practice? 

37 minutes ago, philipw said:

You think we could survive as a full time, top class sporting comp for a period with Sky money AND cover an extra approx £20m after a year of no tv deal? How do you see that working in practice? 

Probably with the aid of drugs?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Edit.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I clicked on to this thread and suddenly realised we aren't in Super League anymore. ☹️  Old (ish) habits die hard, only just got used to having no access to the peripheral Sky TV bits I've lost since cancelling that after 23 years!

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On 31/12/2023 at 19:14, Damien said:

I certainly care and so do my kids, and seemingly many others do too judging by the new kit thread. If the kit is a cracker then my kids will certainly want it. If not they usually aren't fussed. At the end of the day people have no obligation to buy these things.

In fairness to the poster who sees exploitation in this, not all show the restraint of not buying if they don't like it. That and any Mickey taking for those who don't have the latest version - more prevalent in football I suspect than RL - can add unnecessary pressure/friction to families with finite budgets. That said, I agree that in sports without a football-scale TV revenue, the clubs probably may appreciate each shirt sale that bit more.

On 01/01/2024 at 11:50, sweaty craiq said:

I’m very glad you’re nowhere near in a position of any influence with regards to running the sport.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N2022 said:

In fairness to the poster who sees exploitation in this, not all show the restraint of not buying if they don't like it. That and any Mickey taking for those who don't have the latest version - more prevalent in football I suspect than RL - can add unnecessary pressure/friction to families with finite budgets. That said, I agree that in sports without a football-scale TV revenue, the clubs probably may appreciate each shirt sale that bit more.

He said does anyone care what their club's kit looks like. I would suggest that most do and it is important that clubs get it right if they want it to sell well.

I honestly don't know anyone that buys a kit they don't like either. Adults dont tend to do that or feel the pressure to do so. Neither do I know anyone that buys every jersey or every piece of training gear. I highly doubt there is pressure on any kid to so that.

I do have sympathy for kids that maybe are under pressure to have a latest jersey of some sort. However we are talking about £38 each year or two for a new jersey, going off my clubs prices, and its not really the extreme picture presented. If people's kids are anything like mine then they get plenty of use in that time and with the way kids grow they are often ready for a new one anyway. If it wasn't that it would be another expensively branded top instead.

If anything these days I think the sheer number and variety of jerseys and training gear makes it easier for older stuff to get lost in the noise. It's also now exceedingly fashionable to actually wear older stuff anyway.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

He said does anyone care what their club's kit looks like. I would suggest that most do and it is important that clubs get it right if they want it to sell well.

I honestly don't know anyone that buys a kit they don't like either. Adults dont tend to do that or feel the pressure to do so. Neither do I know anyone that buys every jersey or every piece of training gear. I highly doubt there is pressure on any kid to so that.

I do have sympathy for kids that maybe are under pressure to have a latest jersey of some sort. However we are talking about £38 each year or two for a new jersey, going off my clubs prices, and its not really the extreme picture presented. If people's kids are anything like mine then they get plenty of use in that time and with the way kids grow they are often ready for a new one anyway. If it wasn't that it would be another expensively branded top instead.

If anything these days I think the sheer number and variety of jerseys and training gear makes it easier for older stuff to get lost in the noise. It's also now exceedingly fashionable to actually wear older stuff anyway.

Yes, fair comment. As I say, I suspect it's much worse for football, in terms of number/frequency of new shirts, pressure to own this season's and probably the cost of each garment. 

On 31/12/2023 at 14:52, sam4731 said:

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying there, and bringing out 3+ kits per year is a definite money-spinner, there's no two ways about it. Still, people seem to keep buying them so you can't blame the clubs for bringing them out.

For what it's worth I don't buy every kit anyway each year, or even one - especially since Wigan changed their badge I've got a retro one and that's it. I can see also why Saints fans will feel like theirs is the same every year as you say - after all a red V is basically the same thing however you design it!

15 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I’m very glad you’re nowhere near in a position of any influence with regards to running the sport.

And I would never get there believing in low basics, high rewards for success, do not suffer fools, no bullpoop, ownership, drive and passion. Those fundamentals took a loss making business to one making £19m pa - never work in RL of course we need non producing over paid clerks covering each other’s backs