16 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

It is good for visibility that some - hopefully a majority - of the 10 will be on BBC TV, but I feel the Channel 4 coverage offered a fresh and entertaining take.

10 are on tv, that has been confirmed. 5 more across i player and the website.

That's what the BBC website is saying anyway.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Outside of internationals its SKY all the way BBC has little value as its perceived as an OAP market half asleep after lunch in the pub.

A strange take. BBC games, even on BBC 2, get significantly more viewers than Sky ones, half asleep or not.

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Outside of internationals its SKY all the way BBC has little value as its perceived as an OAP market half asleep after lunch in the pub.

The audience numbers belie that idea re: value, even if yes the demographic profile is older, and worth noting the BBC online audience skews far younger than it's TV audience (the age profile is true for all linear television, inevitably there's a lag to deadoption amongst segments who've longer ingrained habits).

Terrestrial linear remains important for new customer sampling and new audience creation, and gains more second-level traction in other media so does still have a ripple effect on top of its direct impact. 

Edited by Worzel
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

10 are on tv, that has been confirmed. 5 more across i player and the website.

That's what the BBC website is saying anyway.

I hope that's the case.

This is what I read elsewhere:

''A total of 15: but across a variety of platforms. The BBC have committed to showing ten matches live on BBC TV and BBC iPlayer – that includes the World Club Challenge later this month.''

I had read that to mean that these 10 would be spread between TV and the iPlayer, with the other 5 on the website.

10 games on BBC TV is pretty good, if true.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I hope that's the case.

This is what I read elsewhere:

''A total of 15: but across a variety of platforms. The BBC have committed to showing ten matches live on BBC TV and BBC iPlayer – that includes the World Club Challenge later this month.''

I had read that to mean that these 10 would be spread between TV and the iPlayer, with the other 5 on the website.

10 games on BBC TV is pretty good, if true.

The quote from the BBC is... 

The deal means 15 games per season will be shown across the BBC, 10 on network television and the rest across the BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website.

I guess they would know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

Something seems to have gone unnoticed on here.

CC matches only on telly from the QF. No 6th round game on telly, just streamed.

That is pretty poor. Further running down of the CC?

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The quote from the BBC is... 

The deal means 15 games per season will be shown across the BBC, 10 on network television and the rest across the BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website.

I guess they would know.

Ah, that reads more clearly. Thanks for the goodish news.

I still think I preferred the feel and vibe to the SL on 4, but 10 games lives on the Beeb isn't to be sniffed at. Hope it works for all involved.

51 minutes ago, M j M said:

A strange take. BBC games, even on BBC 2, get significantly more viewers than Sky ones, half asleep or not.

Unless they were wide awake at the start and asleep at the end.😆

As someone who remembers the absolute contempt with which RL was treated, more of less until post-2000 and the digital era, this news is absolutely seismic. 

There were many low points, but Widnes v. Canberra was one such. It is now on YouTube and was a cracking match at OT. But when I got back home and watched it on TV, they showed the most cursory highlights-only on Sportsnight, the dour, unsophisticated commentary awful. They'd taken a wonderful match and British sporting victory, and just killed it. (YouTube has the full match and a proper Aussie commentary.) 

The incredible Wigan V Manly game was never aired on terrestrial. 

Remembering this and many other terrible low-points in the sport's media history, this is a dream. Things can always be bettered, but, with what we have endured a sport, we should be celebrating this day. 

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I'm guessing you're a bit like me. Brought up around union but got tired of the rugby values, game of all shapes and sizes carry on? 🤣

I played both as a youngster .....I'm too old and slow to play league now

I only watch union as like a Nicorrette patch for the RL off season....and only club union....can't stand international kick and clap 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

3 hours ago, lemmy xaan said:

As someone who remembers the absolute contempt with which RL was treated, more of less until post-2000 and the digital era, this news is absolutely seismic. 

There were many low points, but Widnes v. Canberra was one such. It is now on YouTube and was a cracking match at OT. But when I got back home and watched it on TV, they showed the most cursory highlights-only on Sportsnight, the dour, unsophisticated commentary awful. They'd taken a wonderful match and British sporting victory, and just killed it. (YouTube has the full match and a proper Aussie commentary.) 

Funny the tricks memory plays. I remember being thrilled watching the match on Sportsnight without knowing the score and being absolutely buzzing after. I guess we were so starved of good coverage that any crumbs were gratefully devoured. Plus beating the Aussies at RL would even be exciting on teletext for me!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, EssexRL said:

This is really good news for the sport (and me personally as I don't have Sky).

I always used this as an excuse to watch rugby at the pub. Now what am I going to do!!! Chunter... Moan... Bah... 😏

• Haha 6

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

15 hours ago, Click said:

Glad to see this has now been announced. Hopefully the clubs will be providing BBC with lots of content for them. It'll be great to have highlights of each match on BBC's site, that should hopefully get more eyes on every game going on each weekend.

15 hours ago, Damien said:

Fantastic. Its great to see a 3 year deal and a pretty comprehensive all round package too. The highlights of each match on the website and app is a nice bonus.

Terrestrial coverage of club RL is League and Cups is brilliant. The addition of highlights on the website is awesome and should see RL feature a bit more prominently on the front page. It would be great to see RL reinstated to the top sports with shortcuts across the top banner of the front Sport page.

13 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Something seems to have gone unnoticed on here.

CC matches only on telly from the QF. No 6th round game on telly, just streamed.

That’s a shame.

This is generally a great outcome. It does fall short in one respect. A lack of consistency to televise every round at the same timeslot would be perfect. The inconsistent nature of the days, weeks and kick off times is a shame and as for the streamed CC games, I would be interested to learn what is being televised at the times matches are being sidelined to the red button.

• Like 2

I think the main advantage of BBC over C4 is BBC's online/app coverage. Loads of general sports fans are regular visitors to the website and live events generally feature high up on the front page. I would expect live SL matches to be top or maybe 2nd if there happens to be PL football on at the same time.

Similarly, BBC iPlayer is a huge platform, so prominence on that is really big too.

• Like 5

Excellent news, weve been wanting free to air RL on tv for years and now have quite a substantial fixture list. 

Bear in mind this is the first year in a 3 year deal, what they are doing this year doesnt necessarily mean it will happen the next 2 years. They have access to a certain amount of games and its their decision how its broadcast, the amount on TV to streaming could change if the TV viewer levels are good.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It would be great to see RL reinstated to the top sports with shortcuts across the top banner of the front Sport page.

The shortcut's already there and has been for years.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The shortcut's already there and has been for years.

Are we doing the "are you in the UK versus are you not in the UK" thing again?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

As stated upstream, I see this as a trial run in Year 1. The BBC are moving from (I think) 7 men's games on TV in 2023 to 15 in 2024 with the addition of SL and WCC and loss of some CC matches. Things will still be a little patchy in terms of no regular slot - just as it was last year across C4/BBC - which will make it hard to establish a regular following. I think the loss of a couple of terrestrial TV games this year is probably worth it in terms of the BBC being a better platform than C4. Hopefully, the BBC sees it as something to build on in Year 2.

• Like 1