Last post

2 hours ago, Coggo said:

To be fair, Dave T did accuse Elbowseye of having basically the same views as Joey Barton, which is an unfair accusation. There was no need for that. 

It was a response to the poster's first two posts which were highlighting hat they "Don't agree with women for the sake of being woke" and "it should not be a box-ticking exercise" and then trying to distance themselves from Devereux and Barton - despite the fact that these points have been at the centre of their arguments.

They are odd phrases to use for somebody who absolutely does not agree with the likes of these men. 

20 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The first series was amazing but  I have up quickly after 

It was just someone having a good idea...but then throwing in loads of random stuff they had no idea how to explain or make sense of but they knew might keep people hanging on to see if there was an explanation 

It actually shapes the way I see shows now....if I get even a whiff that a write is adding 'intrugue' without a clear plan of explaining it then I bail out 

Exactly the same with me on that front - too many shows like this have a nice idea at the heart of it, but then don't really have a good ending so have to meander on when they become popular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coggo said:

To be fair, Dave T did accuse Elbowseye of having basically the same views as Joey Barton, which is an unfair accusation. There was no need for that. 

He didn’t really though and has provided a clear explanation of his comment on how saying box ticking amounts to the same thing

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Equally - people reacting in an overly pious way under the guise of virtue signalling is not either

I suspect many on here secretly have quite different real world views than what they choose to post 

You are abolutely correct on both counts, and certain posters spend far too long on here and must live a very sad life

It's turning the General RL forum into an echo chamber where only one view of the game (with a political slant) is considered acceptable.

Something keyboard warriors should think about is - Would you post that if the individual you are replying to was standing next to you...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

23 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

You are abolutely correct on both counts, and certain posters spend far too long on here and must live a very sad life

It's turning the General RL forum into an echo chamber where only one view of the game (with a political slant) is considered acceptable.

Something keyboard warriors should think about is - Would you post that if the individual you are replying to was standing next to you...

This is one of the tamest areas kf the Internet you can find. I'd be stunned if anyone was worried about saying anything face to face. In fact, quite the opposite I'd suggest, as tone and context can be useful. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is one of the tamest areas kf the Internet you can find. I'd be stunned if anyone was worried about saying anything face to face. In fact, quite the opposite I'd suggest, as tone and context can be useful. 

I agree here js something of a safe space compared to the internet generally which I like 

Twitter is such a sewer these days 

I hate going on it but have to for any info on sports teams I like etc .....often I'll be depressed by some random vicious comment or video of violent attack or something.....horrible 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Echo chamber? People on TRL spend large parts of every day vehemently disagreeing with each other about absolutely everything.

The people that tend to get huffy are the free speech champions who don't like it when people use freedom of speech to disagree with them. But that's the same with the whole internet.

• Like 8

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

So frustrating to read a thread titled 'last post' and it wasn't the one you wanted to leave.

Ah well, next time perhaps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Echo chamber? People on TRL spend large parts of every day vehemently disagreeing with each other about absolutely everything.

The people that tend to get huffy are the free speech champions who don't like it when people use freedom of speech to disagree with them. But that's the same with the whole internet.

No they don't. 😄

• Haha 5

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Oooooh..

Who do you want to leave?

Just my weird sense if humour, nothing to read into it.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Personally i find this forum pretty friendly, very rarely is anything said that is personal, I often disagree with people’s opinions on here but that’s perfectly normal isn’t it? That’s what places like this is for.

I do think the majority seem to be liberal and leaning to the left but to be honest that’s quite refreshing as a lot of SM seems hell be t on causing division and fighting made up culture wars against what are often the most vulnerable members of our society.

Ive had a few run ins with some posters, Harry Stottle and I don’t seem to agree on anything but have shared a few DMs which were well natured. Ironically the most personal arguments ive had have been with Martyn Sandler on here!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

So frustrating to read a thread titled 'last post' and it wasn't the one you wanted to leave.

Ah well, next time perhaps.

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Oooooh..

Who do you want to leave?

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Just my weird sense if humour, nothing to read into it.

Well.. that was awkward.... 

😆

• Haha 3

I have now read the posts from the topic in question and my thoughts are that if you post something that can be portrayed as "controversial thoughts" on any internet forum you must be thick skinned.

There are always people who will aggressively disagree with you and this can quickly become personal. Much of this is due to the fact they are not in the same room as you.

Everybody has an opinion but not everybody will listen to other peoples.

• Like 2

It's easier to say you're leaving than to leave. There's always a refereeing decision, a remark from a TV commentator or a bizarre bit of international scheduling that will bring you back. I think most of us have tried at one point and quietly snuck back in.

The real peak of a TRL poster is when you've got into enough people's heads that they imagine you saying things when you're not even online.

• Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

It's easier to say you're leaving than to leave. There's always a refereeing decision, a remark from a TV commentator or a bizarre bit of international scheduling that will bring you back. I think most of us have tried at one point and quietly snuck back in.

The real peak of a TRL poster is when you've got into enough people's heads that they imagine you saying things when you're not even online.

This made me think, what happened to Parksider?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Indeed. And it is no coincidence that most people who spout about echo chambers and freedom of speech are the ones banned from the political section because they can't take the views of others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

To be fair plenty of forum members do leave, they just quickly reappear under different user names!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Personally i find this forum pretty friendly, very rarely is anything said that is personal, I often disagree with people’s opinions on here but that’s perfectly normal isn’t it? That’s what places like this is for.

I do think the majority seem to be liberal and leaning to the left but to be honest that’s quite refreshing as a lot of SM seems hell be t on causing division and fighting made up culture wars against what are often the most vulnerable members of our society.

Ive had a few run ins with some posters, Harry Stottle and I don’t seem to agree on anything but have shared a few DMs which were well natured. Ironically the most personal arguments ive had have been with Martyn Sandler on here!

I've had my run ins with Harry and Martyn also.  Looks like a pattern.

52 minutes ago, Spidey said:

This made me think, what happened to Parksider?

Come back Parky...come back Big Fella..WE NEED YOU ON HERE.  If you come back Parky I promise to protect you and run interference for ya with my kayak against those big hulled,  mean spirited posters that create such huge wakes.

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

"I`m allowed my opinion"

"your are, but heres my opinion on your opinion"

"thats not fair".....

That kind of person?

• Like 3

I Don't know if you will log in again @ELBOWSEYE but I will say that after thinking about it for a bit, I hope you come back to post again.  My earlier remark was flipant and I regret that.

We all get a bit frustrated on here from time to time when we struggle to get our point across or if we think others are being unreasonable, but ultimately it really is good natured... and the mods sort out those on a genuine wind up.

If you come back and post, I am sure you will be most welcome. 

• Like 6