Huddersfield sign Tom Burgess from 2025

Huddersfield teasing big news is on it's way at 3.30, being announced on Sky Sports News.

Eorl Crabtree has said it's one of the biggest news stories in the club's Super League history. Let's see!

Edit: Huddersfield have signed Tom Burgess from Souths!

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 1

• Chris22 changed the title to Huddersfield sign Tom Burgess from 2025
42 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

thought he had a desire to play for Leeds if he came to SL?  how old will he be in 2025?

He'll be 32 start of next year, turning 33 in April. 

I'm a bit nonplussed by this to be honest. In isolation it is a big statement signing, bringing back an England prop, but it feels a bit pointless in the context of Huddersfield. Huddersfield have been stacked in the forwards for a few years now to the point where they've been losing players they want to keep like Owen Trout. I don't think signing another mid 30s prop is going to fix what's wrong with Huddersfield and if they've given him a big contract it just puts them at further risk of losing more of their younger talent. 

• Like 2

sick of these old NRL aussies -OH  no! I mean old NRL  brits coming over here for a final pay day pension 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Tom Burgess is definitely one of my favourite modern day players.

He went out to Australia somewhat overshadowed by his brother Sam and his twin was the higher rated of the two but he has had an outstanding NRL career leading the Souths pack in recent years and every time he plays for England he shows he is our best prop.

The fact he has had a career with few serious injuries means he probably has a good couple of years left.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Potentially great signing, is age is a factor? he'll be almost 33 at the start of his Giants career, can we get 2 or 3 good years out of him? some folk think his age is against him but we signed Chris Hill at 35 and he has been nothing short of outstanding for us in his time here and if Tom is half as good as Chilly he will be a very good signing.

2 hours ago, The Electric Gentleman said:

More likely got offered extra year at Giants 3 years as opposed to 2 that Warrington may have offered

This has been confirmed from inside the club.   Great player but a lot of money and a marquee spot taken in year 3 when he may not be quite as effective.   I guess we'll see whether he plays under Watson or a new coach.

41 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Potentially great signing, is age is a factor? he'll be almost 33 at the start of his Giants career, can we get 2 or 3 good years out of him? some folk think his age is against him but we signed Chris Hill at 35 and he has been nothing short of outstanding for us in his time here and if Tom is half as good as Chilly he will be a very good signing.

He was in great form at Souths last season.

A much safer bet than when Wigan gambled on George Burgess shaking off his injury problems.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good move all round. I think last year his impact for Souths slipped slightly, on what was an outstanding 2022 for him, and he is entering that veteran stage. He's been at Souths so long he is part of the furniture, but at a new club he could probably freshen up and add a lot of value on and off field. 

Presumably Chris Hill will finish up this year, so Huddersfield probably feel they need a new senior prop - Burgess is as good a signing as they could hope for in that area. 

11 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Good move all round. I think last year his impact for Souths slipped slightly, on what was an outstanding 2022 for him, and he is entering that veteran stage. He's been at Souths so long he is part of the furniture, but at a new club he could probably freshen up and add a lot of value on and off field. 

Presumably Chris Hill will finish up this year, so Huddersfield probably feel they need a new senior prop - Burgess is as good a signing as they could hope for in that area. 

Chris Hill signed a new 2 year deal last year so he's under contract for 2025

5 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/inside-the-deal-how-huddersfield-giants-secured-the-signing-of-tom-burgess

Huddersfield apparently making him the highest paid player in the league next year

If he isn't ,he will certainly be in the top few highest. However seems strange to spend a large amount on someone who will not be on the pitch much more than 40 mins per game. It's obviously down to Huddersfield ,but in my view Marquee should be real match winners and that is usually backs and pivots.

Edited by Agbrigg