Which club would you invest in?

For me it would be Sheffield Eagles or Widnes.

Eagles because Sheffield is a big city and with the right investment I think RL could be fairly big there (albeit always dwarfed by football) and Widnes because it’s a RL town with a lot of things in place already (RL culture, support, stadium, rich history) and I’d love to restore them to their former glory. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Dare I say it but Bradford. 

The club is crying out for someone, or a group of someone's, with some serious real money to spend.

A tidy small ground with room for expansion would be the number 1 port of call, the rest could follow on.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

For me it would be Sheffield Eagles or Widnes.

Eagles because Sheffield is a big city and with the right investment I think RL could be fairly big there (albeit always dwarfed by football) and Widnes because it’s a RL town with a lot of things in place already (RL culture, support, stadium, rich history) and I’d love to restore them to their former glory. 

Both good ideas. Sheffield hopefully will see that in the near future with the new ground getting approval 🤞 

Widnes arguably need less money because the facility is there. It just needs the club to be built around it.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The club is crying out for someone, or a group of someone's, with some serious real money to spend.

A tidy small ground with room for expansion would be the number 1 port of call, the rest could follow on.

This ^^

Definitely the most likely "latent demand" that could be reactivated through a few million £££s of investment, albeit does need ground fixing. They're probably still in a better state than Hull KR was in the early 2000's, and look how that turned around.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Worzel said:

This ^^

Definitely the most likely "latent demand" that could be reactivated through a few million £££s of investment, albeit does need ground fixing. They're probably still in a better state than Hull KR was in the early 2000's, and look how that turned around.  

As an easy option I reckon a big time investor could turn KR into one of the biggest clubs in the league pretty easily too.

The decline of (or lack of investment in) some of the key bits of RL infrastructure in West Yorkshire is pretty tragic. 11 or so clubs with arguably only 1 top facility being both modern and specifically RL focused. So much potential in so many clubs but seemingly not enough money about.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As an easy option I reckon a big time investor could turn KR into one of the biggest clubs in the league pretty easily too.

The decline of (or lack of investment in) some of the key bits of RL infrastructure in West Yorkshire is pretty tragic. 11 or so clubs with arguably only 1 top facility being both modern and specifically RL focused. So much potential in so many clubs but seemingly not enough money about.

I think Hull KR have one now and they are going that way anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

No brainer HULL FC if they were top would be the best supported club in SL

Yes this is probably true. If Hull FC won a couple of Grand Finals they'd likely get regular 20k gates, and already have the facilities. Luckily the culture of the club is shot, and the owner doesn't have the money required, so it's unlikely to happen without that lottery winner 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Definitely an amateur side. It'd be way more fun and it would feel like I was playing a real version of football manager, despite there being no promotion to the pro ranks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

£10m arguably insufficient.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

There's a good mini documentary on YouTube think under Timo (spl) Football channel about why Wrexham was bought by Reynolds and Co. It looked at certain criteria they considered before buying. I'll feed back after I watch it again nina a bit but would the investment be just for fun or to make money from. It is Rugby League you know.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Oooo I like this thread. 

I'd probably invest somewhere like Whitehaven. Hot bed of RL but hasn't had any serious long term investment. A tidy ground and a junior development of the best Cumbria talent would see that area thrive. 

• Like 3

Finance or bankroll would be a far better term than invest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tonka said:

I mean it wouldn’t be *invest* in the sense I’d expect to get any of it back…

Yes ok, so to clarify I meant spunk up the wall rather than invest. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Haha 1

Well if we’re spunking it I might stick it in London.  So to speak.

I still think the perception of there being no (good) team in the south paints us into a corner as a sport in this country.

• Like 2