Sat 9th-Sun 10th Mar: Challenge Cup - Fifth Round Match Thread

15 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

To answer your question...Manoa Wacokecoke came from Hull Ionians, having been released by Hull FC without making a first-grade appearance. He's in his first first-grade season, he's 19 and is still very raw.

He's one of a number of players in the Fev squad who have arrived from pretty humble backgrounds. We've got a guy we signed from Hunslet amateurs (who played big minutes today), a guy we signed from Upton, a guy who was released by Doncaster, another who was released by Keighley, another we signed from Pontefract rugby union. Our makeshift half back today was Harry Bowes who was a hooker released by Wakefield.

Still plenty of quality in the Fev squad but there are a lot of relatively unknown/inexperienced players in the squad, unlike previous years when we had almost an embarrasment of riches.

Thanks for that, yeah you could see how raw Wacokecoke is he looked like he did not want to get involved such was his positioning hence the wording of my question, but 19 he belies his youth with his looks I thought he was much older.

16 hours ago, The Mighty Trin said:

Congratulations to Rovers, they were much the better team today. I applauded their fans at the end. Apologies to a small core of our fans but guess your always gonna get that every so often in a derby. Long trip back for me then down again on Friday, think every team in our league now will be hoping for those kinda conditions playing against us. Good first half from Oli Pratt today but that was our only stand out Imho Rovers were clinical in defence from start to finish and never gave us room, obviously conditions played a big factor. We will get over it 😫

Anyway Bulls next Friday.

Up the Trin ⚜️💪

Oli Pratt was certainly the player who looked most like winning it for Trinity.  You can bring in antipodeans and proven SL players, but Pratt looks the business, bearing in mind the conditions he looked a step above.  Although Vagana looks like he's going to be bother... and Hood was as dependable as ever.

• Like 2

I'm sure that the terracing being out of bounds, the live streaming and the pre match incessant rain had some detrimental effect but what was the official attendance yesterday.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

A real, old fashioned, dog eat dog cup tie.  Shame there had to be a loser.  Bring back winter RL.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

10 minutes ago, Trojan said:

A real, old fashioned, dog eat dog cup tie.  Shame there had to be a loser.  Bring back winter RL.

Nah, I have seen plenty of winter rugby in my lifetime and nostalgia is OK. But you would soon get sick of watching mud wrestling week after week.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Nah, I have seen plenty of winter rugby in my lifetime and nostalgia is OK. But you would soon get sick of watching mud wrestling week after week.

It was a nice throwback game as a novelty, but I done know how anyone would be happy seeing that kind of slog in a bog week in week out.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I suppose Leigh would do, I think Fev owe them a defeat, and what better time with Leigh's injury list.

Leigh would fetch a few, probably more than our noisy neighbours and I do like the look of your injury list 😏. Personally, I'd like Catalan away. Need an excuse to get away from the cold and damp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dkw said:

It was a nice throwback game as a novelty, but I done know how anyone would be happy seeing that kind of slog in a bog week in week out.

If you win it’s great, but if you lose every excuse in the book comes out: it’s too wet, too muddy, not muddy enough, too rainy, not rainy enough etc etc etc

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Personally, I'd like Catalan away. Need an excuse to get away from the cold and damp.

Think that's the one draw nobody at the club would want, from a financial/expenses point of view it would negate what would have been a lucrative gate against Wakefield. Plus very little realistic chance of winning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dkw said:

And of course the switch to summer has been a wonderful success hasn't it? 😑

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

6 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Average crowd in the top flight pretty much doubled since the last winter season.

Amount of money in the game enough to support at least a dozen full-time clubs vs just 1 back then.

Fair to say that football has got a lot, lot bigger since then too, and rugby union has gone professional.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JonM said:

Average crowd in the top flight pretty much doubled since the last winter season.

Amount of money in the game enough to support at least a dozen full-time clubs vs just 1 back then.

Fair to say that football has got a lot, lot bigger since then too, and rugby union has gone professional.

Rugby Union at the top level, from playing in front of two men and a dog (not Leicester or Northampton) but that was the sort of crowd some of the top London clubs could expect have gone to multi thousand crowds.   In you post the key phrase is "in the top flight"  the rest are struggling.  To have a worthwhile game we need more than just the "top flight"

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Think that's the one draw nobody at the club would want, from a financial/expenses point of view it would negate what would have been a lucrative gate against Wakefield. Plus very little realistic chance of winning.

Posted similar on the Fax forum, I really don't want Cats or London away. Wigan, Saints, or Leeds home or away would be my first choice then Hull Kr, Leigh, Wire. Obviously any Championship team gives either of them a chance of last 8 and a big draw. Leaves ties like Hudds, Cas, London, Cats where you don't make any money and likely to lose as well. Would be very nice if all the Championship sides could draw each other then same again in the next round just to get another Championship team in a semi final.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Trojan said:

No. But we're in a lot better shape than if we hadn't shifted.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I am surprised no one has thought about the teams playing in soccer stadiums. fixtures can be seriously disrupted when the season overlaps. Full seasons at the same time would be a logistical fixture nightmare for some clubs.

6 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I am surprised no one has thought about the teams playing in soccer stadiums. fixtures can be seriously disrupted when the season overlaps. Full seasons at the same time would be a logistical fixture nightmare for some clubs.

I'll tell you what was really bad news - the twelves and eights era.

Soccer folk had already booked the stadium for the first three months of the rugby season, up to early May.   When the fixtures came out for the eights part of the season, soccer folk had already booked the stadium for August and September.

Throw in a few weeks where the groundsmen were reseeding and there was only about six weeks of the season where the rugby club had a free choice of dates.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

The successful winners before SL should be allowed to pick their preferred opposition & venue tjose going first based on points difference in their winning game eg Fax pick first in the current example. The remaining SL teams are then tossed in the bag. The SL teams selected would look at it as a bye into the next round 🤣

• Like 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

On 11/03/2024 at 15:25, gingerjon said:

No. But we're in a lot better shape than if we hadn't shifted.

who knows?

Clement Attlee.