3 hours ago, Hopie said:

Terrible aspect ratio, but is jumping like that bordering on the rules against jumping over defenders?

It is certainly close but I guess because the defender is approaching from the side and not in front of him then it is not obvious enough to give.  I think we would only ever see this penalised if a player jumped over a defender directly in front of him.

As for the try.  Superd.  I am not sure it is the best ever, as has been mentioned in Australia, but it was special.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Hopie said:

Terrible aspect ratio, but is jumping like that bordering on the rules against jumping over defenders?

I thought that right away but it wasn’t mentioned by anyone 

12 hours ago, Hopie said:

no

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

It was a fantastic try and a great finish to the game. Melbourne looked down and out but 2 tries in the last 4 minutes, the latter with a finish like that with just seconds remaining, is something really special.

• Like 1

Nathan Ross scored something similar for Newcastle a few years ago, which turns up in several compilation videos.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

47 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Nathan Ross scored something similar for Newcastle a few years ago, which turns up in several compilation videos.

That was also brilliant but the added factor for the Coates try was he started his jump at least 5/6 metres out from the tryline as well as the contortions to shift the ball from left to right hand and get ball down before supporting arm went down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcticchris said:

That was also brilliant but the added factor for the Coates try was he started his jump at least 5/6 metres out from the tryline as well as the contortions to shift the ball from left to right hand and get ball down before supporting arm went down.

I had to look a few times to check he did actually get the ball down before the other arm hit the ground.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

I’m gonna sound like a right misery guts here 🤣 but I don’t really get excited by the corner flag leaps.  They’re highly athletic and sometimes necessary to score (although often a bit unnecessary I think).  I get more excited by skilled passages of play: offloads, passes, steps, chips over, individual efforts, lines of running, tackle busts etc, than I do a leap.  Just my view, and I’m not knocking that it was a great finish.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I’m gonna sound like a right misery guts here 🤣 but I don’t really get excited by the corner flag leaps.  They’re highly athletic and sometimes necessary to score (although often a bit unnecessary I think).  I get more excited by skilled passages of play: offloads, passes, steps, chips over, individual efforts, lines of running, tackle busts etc, than I do a leap.  Just my view, and I’m not knocking that it was a great finish.

I agree, I was actually more excited by the Papenhuyzen try before the Coates one. A beautifully executed set play which worked a treat.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

For some reason, this reminded me of a try Hull scored against Leigh last season, that was so unnecessary and cumbersome that it was almost spectacular in it's own way. About 1:10 on here: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

46 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

I agree, I was actually more excited by the Papenhuyzen try before the Coates one. A beautifully executed set play which worked a treat.

I'm with you.  The Coates try was spectacular and happy to see the replays (and of course the reach to those outside of the core support) - plus it was a last minute win.  But the Papenhuyzen try was superbly executed and was a overall better try for me.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

For some reason, this reminded me of a try Hull scored against Leigh last season, that was so unnecessary and cumbersome that it was almost spectacular in it's own way. About 1:10 on here: 

Ha - yeah exactly.  My other bug bear is tries from kicks which really amount to wanging it up in the air or along the floor, the defence fumbling it (as well they might with three 17 stone giants bearing down on them) and it ending up in the attack's hands somehow.  Perfectly legitimate but never my favourite kind of try.  Especially when it bounces around off people's heads/hands/knees/the floor and all that, and you can't even tell if they've scored til you watch the replay.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, going for the corner said:

Gotta feel for the warriors but this should surely have the Melbourne public flocking to AAMI park now.

They'll certainly get the seagulls flocking to AAMI Park.

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Yeah I agree with this, though I do love to see the crazy wingers trys I get more enjoyment out of seeing a well worked team try.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Irrespective of the great finish, I thought the whole game was one of the best I have witnessed in my many years of watching this sport, it had everything.

Just my opinion of course.

The spectacular Coates try was a fitting end to what was like you said one of the best games in recent years.

• Thanks 1