Eric Perez: Montreal team in League One by 2019

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.totalrl.com/perez-wants-see-second-canadian-team-introduced-2019/

Could be a while before the derbies happen though, they need to be in the same division first!

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

42 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Are people slowly coming round to the idea of Canadian teams? I sense a bit less dissent than a few months ago. Or have the naysayers just accepted it and shut up 

The latter, temporarily. Given the slightest opportunity they'll be back, and as loud as ever. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Perez;

"All the oppression (from the dark side ) that it’s (RL's) been under for the last hundred years, we’re wiping away in markets that don’t care about class difference."

Go on son. 

Its great that the game is taking off in Canada, or at least I hope it will but a lot depends on how the Wolfpack go this season and if the Canadian public take it on board or not - Does anyone know how many season tickets they have sold to date? (if indeed they sell season tickets in Canadian sport)

For me though the logistics for part time teams are bad enough especially with the geographical spread in league one without having 2 trips to Canada to contend with - I would much rather see a professional Canadian / North American league set up eventually and maybe a trans Atlantic cup or similar concept.

The proof is in the pudding though I guess, but this whole concept to me seems like it is based around Toronto going up to Super League ASAP, and if they are still having to travel thousands of miles to play in front of 150 people at Hemel or South Wales (no disrespect to those clubs) in 3 years time i'm wondering if the novelty will have then reached its expiration date. 

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

He says they expect to have 7000 season tickets sold by the first game (which is incredible by any measure)

My main concern is the standard of opposition, will the locals keep coming if they're winning every game by 50+ points? 

I'm sure they'd love to have that problem. The fans will stick around as as long as the team's moving in an upward direction. If they're that good, then promotion this year's a certainty, and they'll challenge next year. What's not to enjoy?

The question is, have they got the financial backing to have a crack at the Superleague clubs in the 8s (if it still exists in 2018)? If they get stuck mid-table championship, with no obvious way into SL, then there could be a problem. But that's when the politics comes into play...

These guys in Canada are a breath of fresh air and the way they are going about their business one can't be but excited about the future of RL in Canada both domestically and internationally. As well as North America. My only advice to Eric perez would be not to allow Nigel wood or the RFL anywhere near their operations.

Is anything known about any potential team from Montreal other than that Perez wants one?  I think Perez is great and really admire what he is doing but I would be a little bit cautious about this.  Ideally it'd be a similar behind the scenes set up but with different backers.  And these new backers should preferably already be fans or at least familiar with the sport.  I know we want to go attracting new money but there is a risk in having 1 backer for 2 clubs or a backer who decides after a year or 2 that rugby league isn't for them.

IF there is a new venture with money behind it and they can work with Perez and Toronto then this would make for some very exciting times.  Potentially game changing for the game worldwide.

4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

One has to be concerned the Europeanleagues are being used to grow a North American league (not bad news for international RL) bad news for English RL with the French Potentially surpassing us by 2022...

There is definitely cause for concern if things are not done properly.  There needs to be development and for it to be led properly from the front by the RFL (good luck with that!) with the right vision, and plans put in place.  In the worst case we could see clubs from North America taking our best players leading to a slump in quality in England which could in turn lead to reduced junior involvement, both watching and playing.  This would be seriously bad news for the game.

However, if done well we could see in twenty years teams from England, Wales, Ireland, France, Italy, Canada, USA, with additional players from Spain, Serbia, Russia, Jamaica.  Between 1 and 5 clubs from each country and we could be seeing the cream of the northern hemisphere (and reversing the trend and getting the cream of the southern hemisphere as well) playing in front of 20k+ on a weekly basis.  I'm sure that some eggs would end up being broken to get there but that is all the more reason that there should be proper long term sustainable planning so that any broken eggs would go to making an omelette and not being wasted.  A high standard feeder competition in the UK could still be a standard not far off the current SL and would be able to have it's own TV deal and funding.

Whilst David Argyle has been named as the main money man behind Toronto, he isn't the only investor and there is technically a consortium behind the operation. 

That said Argyle is a very rich man and could easily fund it on his own, however the fact that there are other parties involved may mean that Perez has already found someone to back Montreal and they are simply waiting to see how Yr 1 goes before making the push.

For me the fact the Air Transat deal covers one of the largest costs for the Wolfpack goes a long way to the concept being viable. Even if there is no cash handed over, to have travel costs covered if a massive outgoing that has now been removed. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Really got to admire this guy. Hats off to Perez. Apart from my allegience to the real Wolves.... I am on board the 'Wolfpack' also this year. 

If Perez really delivers a successful Toronto into Super League AND launches Montreal, this guy is the business. Im genuinely excited for the future of League. Hopefully he will inspire others too. He's really going against the grain of The RFL and their previous lack of vision - he's showing what CAN be done. Credit though to the RFL for allowing this vision to proceed.

The difference between Perez and others is Perez has gone out there and done this on his own and proved himself more than once. Is he brash and Cocky? Yes and likely some wont like it. But the main thing for me is he sold his business and lived to make this dream he had happen. He has gone out and sold his dream and got a number of business people alongside the media in Canada and the UK in top this crazy dream. He has delivered 7K crowds in Toronto and he has delivered on more or less everything he has done. Yes there is a risk element and yes it could all go belly up. But looking at what Toronto have got both in sponsors, backers and the setup I dont see that happening. And Torontonians still go out and support the Maple Leaf Ice Hockey team even though they regularly disappoint for example. Mr Perez and his Wolfpack though are creating events and people are buying in to this. You just have to look at the publicity he has created in Toronto already- we have interviews on the TV, we have mass advertizement everywhere and we have people with money and power buying into this crazy idea. Its so crazy this Idea that I think it will succeed. I think Toronto is just the beginning. And if it damages the England game having Montreal etc in then so be it. The English game has had over 120 years to do something and largely failed. Rugby League is bigger than any club or Nation. Maybe Canada will be the next world power and challenge Australia- which for me would be brilliant! 

4 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Is anything known about any potential team from Montreal other than that Perez wants one?  I think Perez is great and really admire what he is doing but I would be a little bit cautious about this.  Ideally it'd be a similar behind the scenes set up but with different backers.  And these new backers should preferably already be fans or at least familiar with the sport.  I know we want to go attracting new money but there is a risk in having 1 backer for 2 clubs or a backer who decides after a year or 2 that rugby league isn't for them.

IF there is a new venture with money behind it and they can work with Perez and Toronto then this would make for some very exciting times.  Potentially game changing for the game worldwide.

He said he has a couple of interested parties. Transat are also based in Montreal which may be a connection.

4 hours ago, yipyee said:

One has to be concerned the Europeanleagues are being used to grow a North American league (not bad news for international RL) bad news for English RL with the French Potentially surpassing us by 2022...

English RL is dead in the water with or without this happening. If anything it's probably a boost because it gives us more relevance on a global scale which may help us stop being looked at as a strange quirk for Northerners.

Brilliant LRL - I agree. We can all get insular and worry what will happen to our M62 corridor game (which, is great btw) - Eric Perez is a pioneer - and one which Rugby League sorely needed! Let it happen! The game in the UK has been for far too long without good administration in terms of expansion - Celtic Crusaders and London Broncos/Harlequins (it should never have got to such a stage where these clubs fell short) We lost momentum with Celtic Crusaders - not at all properly managed! Wales will always be a different beast though due to a variety of demographics. London on the other hand..... i don't accept the complaints. I remember early SL days when they played at Charlton was it? Big crowds, big interest....

Eric Perez is about to revolutionise Rugby League..... I hope!

Archived