The Cup Draw

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Think you're right as Swinton-Wigan is not likely to be much of a contest

I feel Wigan will probably rest a few players.

I'm hoping the BBC might go for the romantic David vs Goliath angle as they have been doing so far in their coverage of the Challenge Cup this year.

Plus it's an excuse to show Wigan who are probably a bigger draw for a tv audience than Hull FC or Catalans.

Personally would like to see Swinton benefit from the exposure and presumably the extra TV revenue.

Yeah I would like swinton to get tv revenue.

how about Leeds-Barrow as the Raiders could do with the TV revenue as well !!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

38 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Think you're right as Swinton-Wigan is not likely to be much of a contest

Sadly, you are right, but the tie makes me feel quite nostalgic.  As a lad of 14, I went to St Helens to see the cherry-and-whites beat Swinton in the cup semi-final - 25-10, if I remember correctly - on 3rd April, 1965.  I recall Wigan's Rhodesian winger, Trevor Lake, cutting in from the wing to outpace Swinton's GB fullback, Kenny Gowers - no slouch himself - to score a great try.

The memorable cup final victory over Hunslet followed, but I had to be content with seeing that on somebody else's TV (we didn't have one in those days)

It would be good for Swinton to get the coverage for the revenue - hopefully not the Sky Thursday night match though! 

Dewsbury vs Wakey... well, they might as well get used to their new ground.

And Fev vs Halifax will be a good old Yorkshire derby tussle. I'd watch that one...

9 minutes ago, morty said:

how about Leeds-Barrow as the Raiders could do with the TV revenue as well !!

Oh yes I would like Barrow to get rich quick too!!

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Or have drawn Hull KR and rest a few more...

You are getting boring now....You and I know that Hull could not rest anybody v Rovers. A home draw for Rovers v Hull was my wish, a full house, TV coverage and all those travelling Hull fans stood on the North Sea Ferry terminal. Nirvana.

Just now, stevereed100 said:

You are getting boring now....You and I know that Hull could not rest anybody v Rovers. A home draw for Rovers v Hull was my wish, a full house, TV coverage and all those travelling Hull fans stood on the North Sea Ferry terminal. Nirvana.

:rofl:

It just gets better!

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

TV games

Halifax v Featherstone - Thur 11th - SkySports

Salford v Hull KR - Friday 12th - SkySports

Castleford v St Helens - Saturday 13th - BBC Sports

Warrington v Widnes - Sunday 14th - BBC Sports

Apparently the clubs make nothing on TV revenue from Sky as its already been dished out. Not sure on BBC.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Hope SKY and Ladbrokes put their hands in their pockets to pay for transport for the FAX supporters we (FEV) have had some good games against Fax.I always look forward to the games because when i played in the early seventies 5 of our team played for FAX quite a few times.

18 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Hope SKY and Ladbrokes put their hands in their pockets to pay for transport for the FAX supporters we (FEV) have had some good games against Fax.I always look forward to the games because when i played in the early seventies 5 of our team played for FAX quite a few times.

Think Ladbrokes paid for free travel for season ticket holders and discounted travel for anyone else for the trip to haven so might happen again. Not sure if it's something they do for all televised/streamed games though.

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Apparently the clubs make nothing on TV revenue from Sky as its already been dished out. Not sure on BBC.

That seems a bit harsh, especially when the Sky games are on a Thursday and Friday night which would hit attendances even more. Surely not dishing out £40k or so of the TV money would make absolutely no difference when you are talking £40 million per year compared to the boost in giving teams £10k per Sky match to offset the fall in attendances.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

That seems a bit harsh, especially when the Sky games are on a Thursday and Friday night which would hit attendances even more. Surely not dishing out £40k or so of the TV money would make absolutely no difference when you are talking £40 million per year compared to the boost in giving teams £10k per Sky match to offset the fall in attendances.

I agree it seems harsh and will affect attendances. They will have to try and make it up in sponsorship with the game being on TV but there is likely to be a shortfall in income which ever way you cut it when you put a cup game on Sky on Thursday night.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

As the gate money is split 50/50 after match expenses sponsorship would presumably all go to the home team.

Are we sure neither club get anything from Sky or RFL in compensation?

For me the M6 and for our Hull following the M62 on a Friday night is a big negative. Surely 2 local ties could have been chosen....After all its the fans that matter. Hull v Catalans would have been an obvious choice!

52 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

Are we sure neither club get anything from Sky or RFL in compensation?

Obviously, the games gets something for Sky's Cup coverage, but it was probably part of the main contract payment, because at the time of signing broadcast deals, nobody knew how this round of this year's draw would come out - not even conspiracy theorists, whatever they claim. ;)

So that money's been banked (and probably frittered away) already.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 4/25/2017 at 7:32 PM, MZH said:

Hull just dont get easy cup ties do they? Dont get me wrong Catalans at home isnt a terrible draw, but after last season it would have been nice to get a Barrow or a Swinton and rest a few guys. 

Hey ho, weve played SL opposition throughout the last two times we won it. Lets make it a hattrick. 

Condescending or what?

Second best team in Hull with a superiority complex.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

5 hours ago, Bearman said:

Condescending or what?

Second best team in Hull with a superiority complex.

Not really condescending is it. Swinton were superb in their win last week and Barrow are having a good season. But the fact is they are the two weakest teams left in the draw. Last year we had the hardest run you can get.

9 hours ago, stevereed100 said:

Hardly, every team you played were beatable. You even avoided Rovers at Wembley,you know how that would have ended!

They were beatable because we beat them.

I'd like to see how your shambles would have faired against Saints, Catalans, Wigan and Warrington, had you overcome the mighty Oldham from the division below your lot at home.

As a kind of guide, Warrington put 70 on Oldham in the next round.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 25/04/2017 at 9:29 PM, stevereed100 said:

Near Immingham more like.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived