England Team for the Semi

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So long as Bateman remains at centre we will pose no attacking threat down the left flank, which sadly renders one of the best wingers in the game as a bit part player, simply trundling the ball up the middle when deep in our own half. A part time prop!  Bateman is a darn fine player but has neither the speed, skill or vision required of the position. I'd really like to see Percival given a chance, he's got all the attributes and would put Hall into some gaps. 

7 minutes ago, CiderWire said:

So long as Bateman remains at centre we will pose no attacking threat down the left flank, which sadly renders one of the best wingers in the game as a bit part player, simply trundling the ball up the middle when deep in our own half. A part time prop!  Bateman is a darn fine player but has neither the speed, skill or vision required of the position. I'd really like to see Percival given a chance, he's got all the attributes and would put Hall into some gaps. 

It was one of those occasions where a niggling injury to Bateman might have forced his hand. Bennett is all about getting a job done in this world cup. He must believe having another strong defensive body out wide is worth the loss of potency. He is just not a natural runner, catcher, passer. He is too instinctive and robustly selfish to make good choices in attacking positions. Agree he is a great player - but in the middle.

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

It was one of those occasions where a niggling injury to Bateman might have forced his hand. Bennett is all about getting a job done in this world cup. He must believe having another strong defensive body out wide is worth the loss of potency. He is just not a natural runner, catcher, passer. He is too instinctive and robustly selfish to make good choices in attacking positions. Agree he is a great player - but in the middle.

Agreed, yet I also think his naivety in defense at this position has, on occasion, been tested and found out. I think this all combines to ensure any coach with a bit of nouse will ensure that this area of the pitch is targeted and exploited. Similarly, it will ensure that the opposition can readily organise in order to counter the greater threat we pose from our right flank.

Intriguing! ?

seems the only person that would pick bateman at centre is wayne Bennett another baffling decision, how many options would just having Tomkins in the squad have provided in a set up going through a wc  with 1 centre 2 wingers and no full back?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

One thing I will say about Bateman is that he has unshakeable spirit. Maybe Bennett anticipates a point at which the team gets tested to its absolute limits and concludes that Percival is far more likely to crack... the Saints game against Cas might confirm that suspicion. Plus, as Gale is so poor in defence, shoring up that side might be considered more important. We will need to score 20 points to win on Saturday and in the final, if and only if we can all defend. We can get those points via Widdop's boot, our left attack and some forward's magic. If we have any hole at all the Aussies will pour through it. He might mean we score 6 fewer, but concede 12 fewer...

22 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

One thing I will say about Bateman is that he has unshakeable spirit. Maybe Bennett anticipates a point at which the team gets tested to its absolute limits and concludes that Percival is far more likely to crack... the Saints game against Cas might confirm that suspicion.

How did Percival crack in that game - I can’t remember?!

I think Percival missed his shot last year when he was non-existent in the 4 nations. He has likely improved but he was incredibly leaky down that left side and offered nothing in attack either which will be on Bennett's mind. I think Shenton should have gone but he hasn't so what do we do?

The best we can hope for from bateman is some decent carries in workout to help the forwards and a strong defensive display. I feel sorry for the bloke because he isn't a centre and it shows. Neither is Currie so scratch that idea, just let him get back into being a top backrower. 

On the Roby thing, I don't think any sane individual can say he hasn't been streets ahead of Hodgson, however I do think that Roby has benefited massively from coming off the bench rather than starting. The best I've ever seen Roby was when he used to do that early in his career and he looks outstanding doing it again. I'd keep it as it is but get him on earlier. 

If Brown doesn't make it then I guess its Williams but I fear that will ruin the balance. SOL has even been mentioned and I wouldn't be 100% against that for one game. Hopefully Brown makes it and we maintain what is starting to look like a well balanced team (Bateman aside).

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

57 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

One thing I will say about Bateman is that he has unshakeable spirit.

These are the unknown elements that we can't see from outside the camp.

I'm a big fan on Lomax but one part of the opening game against Australia sticks in my mind. Australia had just scored in the first half and Lomax was sat on the floor in his own in goal with his head down. Bateman was screaming at him to stand up.

Maybe Bennett sees an attribute in Bateman that he simply wants in his team.

Now... whether centre is the right place for that is a different matter.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

If Brown doesn't make it then I guess its Williams but I fear that will ruin the balance. SOL has even been mentioned and I wouldn't be 100% against that for one game. Hopefully Brown makes it and we maintain what is starting to look like a well balanced team (Bateman aside).

Williams hasn't been named in the reserves. If Brown is ruled out then it will be Lomax at 1 and Widdop at 6.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I didn’t re watch it but didn’t he miss kick after kick? 

Not convinced his inability to kick goals in a match justifies the tag of a choker; he scored a good try in the game at the near death and as most of the season, pretty solid in defence. I’d be disappointed if the rationale was to protect Gale in defence too.

On 21/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, Exiled Wiganer said:

One thing I will say about Bateman is that he has unshakeable spirit. Maybe Bennett anticipates a point at which the team gets tested to its absolute limits and concludes that Percival is far more likely to crack... the Saints game against Cas might confirm that suspicion. Plus, as Gale is so poor in defence, shoring up that side might be considered more important. We will need to score 20 points to win on Saturday and in the final, if and only if we can all defend. We can get those points via Widdop's boot, our left attack and some forward's magic. If we have any hole at all the Aussies will pour through it. He might mean we score 6 fewer, but concede 12 fewer...

As for putting a spin on a subject that is better than anything Alistair Campbell came up with, now I would not go as far as to accuse you that all your reasoning was born out of Bateman playing for Wigan, but I would say I am 99% certain it is.

On 19/11/2017 at 2:07 PM, Colly said:

Hodgson at SO , are these people for real?

Whitehead blocks up the right side in defence NRL style. Bennett is all about defence and completion that is why Bateman is at LC. Centres are virtually second rows in the NRL and we are being coached by the guru of NRL coaches.

So it will not fit to our English style eyes. Personally I would go with Currie if we are going down this route, which we are.

Gillet and Cordner are not our style of running SR's are they?It is just the way it is played at the top level Aussie game. They are tacking machines.

Come  the day v Australia, if we can manage Tonga next week, we will see the opposition  completing the basics extremely well. Kicking tactically astutely and taking their chances NRL style.

I know it jars to a lot of us but sadly it is the truth. 

This is exactly what I don't want to watch , I've never seen this work against the Aussies; again we play into their hands rather than developing our own style

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

This is exactly what I don't want to watch , I've never seen this work against the Aussies; again we play into their hands rather than developing our own style

But if we employ an active present Aussie coach what else should we expect, I was not a fan of his appointment in the first place and he has done nothing to change my opinion.

I see on SkySports website Hodgson has been quoted as saying that Kevin Brown had spoken about having concussions in the past. More worryingly it also said he’s not been able to train with the squad until tomorrow (Friday) - that doesn’t give him a lot of time to train with the team until game day. Not happy if he ends up playing.

If he plays and does well I’ll be more than happy and call myself out. 

If we play a robotic, monotonous set piece style rugby the Aussies will trounce us (if we beat Tonga first that is!) We need to keep them guessing in order to try and prize them out of their comfort zone.

On November 21, 2017 at 7:45 PM, Colly said:

At last someone has twigged that Bateman is there to protect Gale as best he can.

No surprise that Bennett has gone with the same team at all.

Pick a center who cant attack to protect a half that cant defend...No wonder we never win out.

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:49 PM, Charlie RL said:

Don't temp fate.  It ain't over until the fat lady sings. 

al keep the mrs away from the karaoke Friday  nite then

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived