Leigh Centurions sign Kurt Baptiste

Leigh Centurions are delighted to confirm the signing of Kurt Baptiste on a one year contract until the end of November 2018. 

The 26-year-old Papua New Guinea international hooker will join up with his new teammates in early January as preparations for the 2018 season intensify after the successful conclusion of negotiations with head of rugby Keiron Cunningham. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant say I've ever really been impressed with Baptise as he's always struck me to be a fairly average player. I think the fact that Canberra weren't bothered about keeping him, even with Hodgson's injury, or that any other NRL club wanted him speaks volumes.

5 minutes ago, clogdance said:

The reason we got him was that we offered him a one year deal. Raiders reluctantly released him due to salary cap reasons. He’s back at the Raiders in 2019 when a few of their higher paid players are off contract. Warrington wanted him on a two year deal.

Thanks for that, i was wondering why only 1yr when they dont normally come over here for anything less than 2 or 3yrs

11 hours ago, Damien said:

I cant say I've ever really been impressed with Baptise as he's always struck me to be a fairly average player. I think the fact that Canberra weren't bothered about keeping him, even with Hodgson's injury, or that any other NRL club wanted him speaks volumes.

I must admit, I always thought the same. Decent but not standout. Will be too good for Championship mind, but don’t think he’d be anything other than average in SL

One thing that has always impressed me about him and a player from here I would compare him to is Danny Houghton, both big engines and great defenders, and apart from the WC only seen him perform in the NRL can't be that bad to play as many games at the top flight as he has.

A very good signing in my opinion.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Wow they’re signing some names . Look like they’re stronger now ! Good job they got that hand out just to help them compete away to Barrow and Swinton , was touch n go there ...

I thought the £500k parachute payment was supposed to go towards a replacement bus service?

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Wow they’re signing some names . Look like they’re stronger now ! Good job they got that hand out just to help them compete away to Barrow and Swinton , was touch n go there ...

The squad is looking very good, well at least on paper anyway, a total opposite in many respects to last seasons "Dad's Army" this coming year's roster is young and by all accounts very mobile and pacy with some added nounce and skill factor, very intersting times ahead.

As I wrote on another thread,  both Leigh and TWP have invested heavily in new bodies and both are relativley new teams for which both will take a few games games to blend together, for that reason I do not think that having them play each other as the season's opening fixture for both teams will have much relevance to their match ups to come later in the campaign whoever the victor, I would have preferred it to be at least round 4.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

One thing that has always impressed me about him and a player from here I would compare him to is Danny Houghton, both big engines and great defenders, and apart from the WC only seen him perform in the NRL can't be that bad to play as many games at the top flight as he has.

A very good signing in my opinion.

He's aggressive and energetic, so will probably be a good signing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Considering you have a displeasure in the yo-yo system, may I suggest you won't be expieriencing that disorder, can't see that the representatives of the South Leeds area troubling you in that department for the forseeable future.

And?

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That's it!

Hardly worth the effort.

Was it a (futile) attempt at wit?

A puerile dig, on the (false) assumption that I'm as childish as you?

If my team was ever admitted to super league, I hope it would be on the premise that it might represent growth and a strengthening of the competition. Meanwhile I'll carry on enjoying my rugby amongst some very nice people: that's pleasure enough in itself.

Archived