Magic Venue Poll

Magic Venue Poll  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Where should it be next?

16 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Agreed. We could eat some good Haggis, and go fishing for salmon in the River Tay. Not sure they've got a stadium big enough, but I can see what you're getting at.

Of course you bloody do. We all do, just the idiots at Red Hall are useless. Sydney would be great, considering the intention to grow the game in Canada.

I’d like a road trip to Barcelona Olympic Stadium and give the French fans a game closer to home. The one off game against Warrington got 20k and if we moved back to the bank holiday weekend I sure the fans would vote with their feet. 

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

Agreed. We could eat some good Haggis, and go fishing for salmon in the River Tay. Not sure they've got a stadium big enough, but I can see what you're getting at.

McDiarmid Park is a modern stadium, with a lot of space around it. With temporary seating in the corners you could get the capacity up to, what, 15,000? Nearly enough. ?

I make this point every time, but we need to rotate this event round major cities. This was the 2nd one I had gone to in Newcastle and tbh, it felt a bit tired, despite the great atmosphere with the weather and stuff. The event was quite lacklustre (and not just because of my team!) - and I think it needs to be freshened up each year, the repeat fixture thing is just dumb.

I think Olympic Stadium in London should be given a go, I think it is a nice size ground, pretty comfortable in a good location.

13 hours ago, 1976PMJwires said:

I’d like a road trip to Barcelona Olympic Stadium and give the French fans a game closer to home. The one off game against Warrington got 20k and if we moved back to the bank holiday weekend I sure the fans would vote with their feet. 

I always find the bank holiday argument interesting. I go to Newcastle as a "lads weekend" with my old RL mates from Uni. I have a 10 and a 7 year old. My wife would not be interested in going to the weekend and although my 10 year old would I am not sure he would sit through all the games and I would miss matches to go to the fan zones. My 7 year old isnt showing a huge interest in watching games on tele at the moment either. 

On the bank holiday weekend we want to go away as a family so a Rugby League weekend away wouldnt work. Therefore move it to the bank holiday weekend and I am probably out, as would a couple of the other lads who always go away for the week. 

Without just wanting to be about my own personal interest but I doubt I am the only one to be in this position where by getting a pass out for the weekend is fine (and we leave on the monday morning so take the day off work and go friday morning so 2 days off work in total too) but there is no way it would be a family weekend.  

49 minutes ago, RP London said:

I always find the bank holiday argument interesting. I go to Newcastle as a "lads weekend" with my old RL mates from Uni. I have a 10 and a 7 year old. My wife would not be interested in going to the weekend and although my 10 year old would I am not sure he would sit through all the games and I would miss matches to go to the fan zones. My 7 year old isnt showing a huge interest in watching games on tele at the moment either. 

On the bank holiday weekend we want to go away as a family so a Rugby League weekend away wouldnt work. Therefore move it to the bank holiday weekend and I am probably out, as would a couple of the other lads who always go away for the week. 

Without just wanting to be about my own personal interest but I doubt I am the only one to be in this position where by getting a pass out for the weekend is fine (and we leave on the monday morning so take the day off work and go friday morning so 2 days off work in total too) but there is no way it would be a family weekend.  

Same situation for me. I could see my Wife being OK with a standard weekend but a bank holiday seems too special for family time and would not be able to get time for this. 

Magic is good at the slot it has and Newcastle is a good choice. Not convinced going off Mainland UK is wise. 

1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

Same situation for me. I could see my Wife being OK with a standard weekend but a bank holiday seems too special for family time and would not be able to get time for this. 

Magic is good at the slot it has and Newcastle is a good choice. Not convinced going off Mainland UK is wise. 

Also think you can have a number of these types of weekends if you want, dont have to be full Magic but double headers etc if compensation for lost home games is sorted (wigan and hull in sydney sort of proves it can work and teams are happy) you dont have to move the magic weekend if it is doing what you are wanting it to do .

8 minutes ago, RP London said:

Also think you can have a number of these types of weekends if you want, dont have to be full Magic but double headers etc if compensation for lost home games is sorted (wigan and hull in sydney sort of proves it can work and teams are happy) you dont have to move the magic weekend if it is doing what you are wanting it to do .

I suppose this could have legs, 3 double headers in 3 different cities covers a lot of ground, this would allow 1 in the North 1 in the South and 1 in Toronto/Dublin/New York to test the market(s). All of them could be on a Saturday too, taking away the argument about whether the games should be held on a bank holiday weekend

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

18 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I suppose this could have legs, 3 double headers in 3 different cities covers a lot of ground, this would allow 1 in the North 1 in the South and 1 in Toronto/Dublin/New York to test the market(s). All of them could be on a Saturday too, taking away the argument about whether the games should be held on a bank holiday weekend

possibly but you could equally just replicate Magic weekend in a new venue.. you could do triple headers or double headers.. the world frankly is your oyster to do whatever you like.. leave magic weekend as is but then come up with all sorts to test other markets or if NY is interested give them something but it doesnt have to be at the expense of the growth and development in Newcastle and the North East.

One thing I hadn't considered up to now is that if SL does not expand to 14 teams to include Toronto and Toulouse, then potentially we would have a magic weekend with a third of the league being non-english very soon. In such a scenario, would the South of France become an option? Or Barcelona?

I really can't believe that after over a decade of Magic Weekends we have been to Edinburgh, Cardiff, Manchester, Newcastle, but never to London. 

It has an event crowd, is a great tourist destination, and can be done pretty cheaply using surrounding areas.

There are some great grounds there too.

Never having been to one I can't comment on what the feel is like but the vote seems to indicate Newcastle is still popular. I think RL really should have an event they can shop/move around each year to promote to new markets, whether it be Magic or some other idea. There is merit in keeping it in Newcastle as long as it doesn't stagnate.

As for other event options that could be used to promote RL, maybe selling the Challenge Cup Quarters and Semis off as a 4 game weekend and double header each year, keeping one in the UK and one "International".

Archived