Brian McDermott new Toronto Wolfpack coach

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will prove if he can build or only inherit. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

25 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Well, didn’t see that coming ?

What a promotion moving up from Leeds to the Wolfpack!  The tension for the upcoming season grows.  A couple of more top notch signings and I think we'll have as good of a shot as any at the Championship....the odds are always against us though and we can't forget that....we will persevere.

Kyakman, your word's may have some substance now, and you misguided support of Rowley will very likely be revealed at the business end of the season, meanwhile that loud bang you herd was Parky exploding? best of luck mate?

1 minute ago, Clogiron said:

Kyakman, your word's may have some substance now, and you misguided support of Rowley will very likely be revealed at the business end of the season, meanwhile that loud bang you herd was Parky exploding? best of luck mate?

I tried to tell everybody but nobody would listen...poor Parky...take it easy now Parky.

18 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

What a promotion moving up from Leeds to the Wolfpack!  The tension for the upcoming season grows.  A couple of more top notch signings and I think we'll have as good of a shot as any at the Championship....the odds are always against us though and we can't forget that....we will persevere.

Good signing for Toronto, ill  discipline cost them last year, that won’t happen under McDermott.

I think he’s got a point to prove that he can build success rather than inheriting it like he did at Leeds (although if he wasn’t a never good coach I don’t think he would have lasted 8 years IMO)

He'll bring them discipline that's for sure. He won't try and be the players' best mate either.

He can definitely coach but whether he can build an infrastructure that doesn't exist before I don't know - even London had structures and people in place although there are some similarities that he can fall back on.

What I am pretty sure of is that Toronto should fly through the division next season. The Grand Final is the lottery which they don't really want as anything can happen to even the best teams when it comes down to just one game. At least McDermott has plenty of experience, good and bad, in knock out games.

6 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Good signing for Toronto, ill  discipline cost them last year, that won’t happen under McDermott.

I think he’s got a point to prove that he can build success rather than inheriting it like he did at Leeds (although if he wasn’t a never good coach I don’t think he would have lasted 8 years IMO)

What , like he isnt inheriting easily the best squad in the Championship by a country mile ? , my dog could get that team promoted

31 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What , like he isnt inheriting easily the best squad in the Championship by a country mile ? , my dog could get that team promoted

Rowley couldn’t get them promoted and they finished 8 points clear last year. One thing McDermott has got us experience of knockout rugby

7 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Rowley couldn’t get them promoted and they finished 8 points clear last year. One thing McDermott has got us experience of knockout rugby

Well at Leigh we know what Pauls failings are , personally never rated him since he coached Westleigh High school back in 2003

My one concern about McDermott is he will have to be more media friendly.

Too often he was taciturn in front of the camera and made it clear that he thought the interviewers were not sufficiently experts in the game and should not have the temerity to question him. This especially after a loss.

That will not fit in with the Toronto ethos of engaging with the fans through the media. Especially as the local media are not well versed in the game and are selling the game to a new audience that need simple answers to simple questions. The Toronto coaching job is much much more than coaching a rugby league team.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

23 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Too often he was taciturn in front of the camera and made it clear that he thought the interviewers were not sufficiently experts in the game and should not have the temerity to question him. This especially after a loss.

That will not fit in with the Toronto ethos of engaging with the fans through the media. Especially as the local media are not well versed in the game and are selling the game to a new audience that need simple answers to simple questions. The Toronto coaching job is much much more than coaching a rugby league team.

This is true. What particularly seemed to wind up McDermott was reporters who wouldn't just ask routine questions but who would try to show they knew so much about the game in their question but didn't really get it. I guess in Toronto the media aren't there to prove that they are the smartest people in the room.

12 hours ago, Padge said:

This will prove if he can build or only inherit. 

You don't consider he will have inherited a team capable of success in the Championship then Padge? The team he is taking over won the league system with 8 clear points and it has been added to with player's of a better quality and expierience since then.

To have success in the championship in respect of 'building' by comparison he will only have a few tiles to put on the roof, the foundations, walls, roof trusses and felt are already in place, just my opinion.

It is a great move for McDermott as it will enable him to maintain the winning persona he has forged for himself.

As people have pointed out, he has a squad which is head and shoulders above any other team and regardless of which professional coach is in charge they should finish top of the table at a canter. The financial advantage they have is so big that teams around them overachieved finishing as close as they did last year.

The league structure is also in the league winners favour more so than the structure we have had for the last few years. Whilst it will come down to a knockout game the table toppers are likely to have a one week break between games and only ever face Championship teams to be promoted. The traveling element is considerably less likely to be a hindrance come the business end and could even work in their favour.

I am not sure where the 'McDermott is a taskmaster' belief has come from, but I didn't get that impression when he was at Leeds. He was often moody, sarcastic and a little holier than thou at times which I guess could have portrayed him like that.

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You don't consider he will have inherited a team capable of success in the Championship then Padge? The team he is taking over won the league system with 8 clear points and it has been added to with player's of a better quality and expierience since then.

To have success in the championship in respect of 'building' by comparison he will only have a few tiles to put on the roof, the foundations, walls, roof trusses and felt are already in place, just my opinion.

I am thinking more of further down the line rather than the upcoming season. If they get to SL he'll have to build an SL squad.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 hours ago, Bearman said:

maybe give him a sidekick to sit next to him and then do the interviews, barry chuckle maybe? or one of ant and dec may be available 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

Often ‘after a loss’ is the wrong time to get a reasonable answer.  He answered the full NRL press brigade very well and positively after their WCC game.

All well and good answerering all questions in a positive light but that’ll hold no sway whatsoever if they aren’t winning.  

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

Noble can do all the talking.

Good appointment.

Archived