SL Attendances So Far In 2019

6 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Is watching a unsuccessful soccer team more entertaining? I'm not sure how Wigan Athletic attendances are going. 

Hi there RayCee, I was just puzzled by the previous correspondents comment about a "Continued Slide" ?

Superleague winners, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 World Club Challenge 2017, runners up 2019. 

Lost long term coach and some players leaving, which might explain slow start to new season but doesn't explain the "continued slide", claimed above. So, why are people falling out of love with Wigan?

By the way, Wigan Athletic, Soccer Championship - 20th Place out of 24 clubs. According to the BBC recent results are three draws and two losses

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

Hi there RayCee, I was just puzzled by the previous correspondents comment about a "Continued Slide" ?

Superleague winners, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 World Club Challenge 2017, runners up 2019. 

Lost long term coach and some players leaving, which might explain slow start to new season but doesn't explain the "continued slide", claimed above. So, why are people falling out of love with Wigan?

By the way, Wigan Athletic, Soccer Championship - 20th Place out of 24 clubs. According to the BBC recent results are three draws and two losses

I don't know. What is the club doing about it? Are they actively promoting themselves in effective ways?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

11 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I don't know. What is the club doing about it? Are they actively promoting themselves in effective ways?

Regarding the Wigan "slide" that you refer to: I was relying on you to answer that one, as you are very knowledgeable on the RLsubject and write lots of articles and posts. 

7 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

Regarding the Wigan "slide" that you refer to: I was relying on you to answer that one, as you are very knowledgeable on the RLsubject and write lots of articles and posts. 

Thank you Hemel for your vote of confidence. However, living in NZ, such matters as how any club promotes itself is not an area I am au fait with. I'm simply not close enough to know. I'm sure Wigan fans could help elucidate to us what is going on. Sorry I cannot offer more. 

Part of the reason many clubs said their crowds went backwards was because of Super 8's, with the 'unknown' component affecting things like Season Tickets, ability to promote, etc.

Anyway, arguably 2012 is one of those years we'd like to go back to...  As you can see most clubs have gone backwards since then at varying levels... Wakefield in particular is one I don't quite understand how they went backwards so much (these are stats I've found on TotalRL so maybe a bit off), whilst Wigan has lost a third of their supporter base since 2012 off current figures.

1701899581_ScreenShot2019-03-12at1_07_48pm.png.ae337b84f4f25f4ec21a829c463e7e51.png

On a positive side, Hull KR are currently setting a new benchmark for themselves, whilst Hull FC are doing well compared to their best crowds last year.  London, comparing to when they were last in SL are also starting alright.

Anyway, green indicates how many seasons ahead we currently are, whilst the 'box' indicates the highest average in the past 7 years.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

12 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Part of the reason many clubs said their crowds went backwards was because of Super 8's, with the 'unknown' component affecting things like Season Tickets, ability to promote, etc.

Anyway, arguably 2012 is one of those years we'd like to go back to...  As you can see most clubs have gone backwards since then at varying levels... Wakefield in particular is one I don't quite understand how they went backwards so much (these are stats I've found on TotalRL so maybe a bit off), whilst Wigan has lost a third of their supporter base since 2012 off current figures.

On a positive side, Hull KR are currently setting a new benchmark for themselves, whilst Hull FC are doing well compared to their best crowds last year.  London, comparing to when they were last in SL are also starting alright.

Anyway, green indicates how many seasons ahead we currently are, whilst the 'box' indicates the highest average in the past 7 years.

I've compared the stats with what I have and although slightly different, they are all ballpark. 

Indeed, attendances were affected by the Super 8's but numbers gradually drop over the season anyway. I presume all fans start off optimistic but the clubs that don't do well that season are the main losers. 

SL gave RL a huge boost in the UK, but you can't rest on your laurels and I think SL has been guilty of that. One suggestion from me is less regular league matches and interspersing the season with 9's festivals etc which could spice it up a bit with some variety. 

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

What was the average for Hull KR in 2017?

I've got 7,429, including the qualifiers. That's an amazing achievement, to be relegated and barely any difference. 

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

Indeed, attendances were affected by the Super 8's but numbers gradually drop over the season anyway. I presume all fans start off optimistic but the clubs that don't do well that season are the main losers.  

I'm hoping what the clubs were saying holds some weight and it isn't just a case that we are in some sort of terrible downward spiral.

One thing that partially implies that there maybe some truth to their statements is once the 8s came in, the end of season lift that many other seasons saw ended. 

Usually people are excited at the start and end of the season (less groups of fans are excited at the end, but you hope the bandwagon comes out for those in Finals contention)

Naturally Easter is always a big boost for SL and arguably the Camp Nuo game could see SL get an entire round of crowds in one game which will help the average.

Anyway, much like the TV ratings thread, the hope is that there is something planned beyond the first few rounds to grow attendances.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Interesting to note that attendances are generally higher in the early months when the weather is not so good and go down when the better weather arrives.

Early days for the new regime,but I think a minimum target should be to arrest the slide of the last few years.A 1% increase or similar would be satisfactory for starters.

10 hours ago, MZH said:

With Hull you also have to consider that the biggest crowd by a distance is the derby. Until that gets played our average is likely to be a little lower than last years season long average.

Was gonna say that as well. If you take into account the 8,000 or so extra people at that game you are adding on about 550 to the average right there. 

8 hours ago, RayCee said:

I decided to find out and found this:

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2018-2019/1/

Wigan Athletic 11423 for the 2018-19 season which is mostly done already. I thought it would have been higher. I noticed Leeds Utd are getting 33,491 and Hull City 12,233. Huddersfield in the EPL are averaging 23,000. So for Huddersfield and Leeds the soccer sides do much better, Wigan similar and considering there are two RL teams in Hull, RL is doing better there.

That Hull City attendance is massively inflated as well cos it is the official attendance that is announced, taking into account all season tickets even if they aren't there. There's more like 8-9,000 actually in the ground each week on average. Will say though that it's to do with the owners. If they buggered off and the membership scheme was sorted out it would shoot back up to something like 20,000.

5 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

1701899581_ScreenShot2019-03-12at1_07_48pm.png.ae337b84f4f25f4ec21a829c463e7e51.png

The Super 8's were a complete disaster. Which everyone thought they would be apart from the guys making the decisions. 

36 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That Hull City attendance is massively inflated as well cos it is the official attendance that is announced, taking into account all season tickets even if they aren't there. There's more like 8-9,000 actually in the ground each week on average. Will say though that it's to do with the owners. If they buggered off and the membership scheme was sorted out it would shoot back up to something like 20,000.

Is there any club in British sport that doesn't count season ticket holders in attendance even if they don't show up? I thought it was pretty much the norm across the board.

9 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

You thought a Wigan team in a relegation battle in the second tier in a RL city that is not a traditional football and is surrounded by much bigger clubs would do better? Frankly Im amazed they break 5 figures. 

There will be regularly 4 - 5 thousand away fans boosting attendances at Wigan Athletic you rarely get that level of away support in RL.

7 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

You have to go the extra mile these days as there are so much entertainment on offer. 

56 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

There will be regularly 4 - 5 thousand away fans boosting attendances at Wigan Athletic you rarely get that level of away support in RL.

We can say that about any club, not sure why we should hold it against WA. 

3 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

It is interesting to look at the crowds for Wire's first home games with context:

1 - Leeds, last year 11.2k, this year 13k (1800 up) - both the opening game, last year was however a Thursday night, this year a Saturday evening. Wire made a fair bit of effort this year, with Clint Boon DJ'ing and a light show etc.

2 - Hull KR, last year 9,305, this year 10.5k, both played on a Saturday, Wire did more of their normal stuff rather than an enhanced matchday experience.

3 - Cas, last year 9.2k, same this year. This year was however on a Thursday night versus last year's Friday. 

So Wire have managed to get an additional 3.3k in through the gates for their first three games, a decent effort. ONe of the more important things is that they are creating a bit of a buzz again. They have made good signings on the field, but they are really making an effort off the field, and not just on expensive features. 

The Wigan game this Friday will be an interesting one - last year they got 12k on a Friday night on Sky, it is a decent like-for-like comparison, although Wigan's form is a challenge for away fans. Wire have made a fair effort with this one again, having a Bad Blood campaign, they also were present at the WCC game with ads for this. They have announced they have broken 10k already, hopefully their efforts will be rewarded and we can go back to getting great crowds for these games.

3 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Is there any club in British sport that doesn't count season ticket holders in attendance even if they don't show up? I thought it was pretty much the norm across the board.

During the darkest of Marwan's dark days at Salford, he took to basing their attendances solely on turnstile clicks, even to the point where people who entered the stadium through reception (such as guests of sponsors) weren't being counted. One sponsor found out about this and made sure his guests passed through the turnstiles.

Salford's attendances weren't brilliant, but this bizarre act just made them look even worse in comparison to other clubs, and  became another inevitable stick to beat the club with.

16 hours ago, John Rhino said:

It's well known that United going back into the Prem will hit Headingly crowds 

"Well known"? I'd suggest they are mostly operating in different markets nowadays so the impact will be minimal. Leeds attendances will be much more affected by on field performances.

I think the only way the Rhinos significantly lose out is when they play at home on the same day as LUFC which is rare given their preferred Friday nights and that would probably happen less in the premier league anyway.

The only group of existing fans they could lose is those who support both teams, but for whatever reason can only watch one and would switch their allegance from rugby to football if LUFC got promoted.

Weirdly Wakefield and Cas could be affected more since their home games on Sundays would be more likely to clash with premier league football.

I've been thinking about this with regards to Salford's crowds.

It seems to me that 3 things contribute to improved crowds, on-field entertainment, on-field results and off-field promotion. This season, so far, we are getting good results (apart from Leeds and Saints), we are also providing excellent entertainment and, what many won't know, we have invested in our 'publicity department' (at least I have read this and there is some corroborating evidence). It all looks good so far.

It seems that it takes three to truly tango!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Archived