Exercise4less at Wigan...

Whenever a club (not just wigan) says they're going to fine a player, I never believe them. I always imagine the coach saying to the player "we'll tell everyone we've fined you, but we won't *wink*". Just thought I'd share that.

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As somebody who has run a fair number of disciplinary processes at work (as I expect others on here have) this seems to have been handled well by Wigan. The unanswered question is whether it should have been dismissal for gross misconduct but I don't know the details.

My only gripe is that in the statement they say "he will remain a Wigan player and return to training during the period."

This seems a bit of a cop out. Suspension should mean a suspension from his job which is everything and not just 80 minutes of his working week.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I personally think theyhave made Bateman the scapegoat for it all. Well it looks like the other party has got off scot free which is wrong IMHO, the other party should have also been banned during the investigation and wasnt seems all the blame has been put on one person. Also whatever has been alledged to have happened you dont do what has been alledged without provocation

That approach only holds water if you have equal or greater knowledge of what happened than the club itself.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

As somebody who has run a fair number of disciplinary processes at work (as I expect others on here have) this seems to have been handled well by Wigan. The unanswered question is whether it should have been dismissal for gross misconduct but I don't know the details.

My only gripe is that in the statement they say "he will remain a Wigan player and return to training during the period."

This seems a bit of a cop out. Suspension should mean a suspension from his job which is everything and not just 80 minutes of his working week.

But that means he won't be fit enough to play afterwards.

Suspension from playing will hit his bonuses.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Whenever a club (not just wigan) says they're going to fine a player, I never believe them. I always imagine the coach saying to the player "we'll tell everyone we've fined you, but we won't *wink*". Just thought I'd share that.

I've always thought this.

They should have just said "We're going to fine you...

100-billion.jpg

Without knowing the full details of what happened seems pretty well handled to me.

The punishment is one which will teach the lad a lesson, without overly damaging his promising career.

The punishment is probably harsher than getting rid of him I some respects (he would potentially get an improved contract with a bigger club).

Fair play to Wigan/Wane.

If you were in an alley facing half a dozen Russian football hooligans you would want someone like Bateman by your side.

If I was in that situation and had to pick a recent Wigan prop to be by my side, I'd go for Andy Powell. Even in my late 40s I reckon I could run away faster than him.

If you were in an alley facing half a dozen Russian football hooligans you would want someone like Bateman by your side.

I wouldnt. I'm not sure him rubbing the Russians heads/slapping/pushing them will help that much - You'd probably be better with someone like Nigel Benn (a proven fighter rather than a wind up merchant! ;)

Looks like a complete fudge of the incident to me!

Bateman should never play for Wigan again after doing what he's done.

A few weeks off and a fine that the club might never collect is nothing of a punishment for the crime he's committed.

I'm no Cas or Huddersfield fan but at least they showed some integrity when one of their players transgressed against another of their players.

What Bateman and one of his mates has done to Mossop is indefensible, how can Wigan expect Mossop and other Wigan players to just move on and forget what Bateman did.

What Bateman and one of his mates has done to Mossop is indefensible, how can Wigan expect Mossop and other Wigan players to just move on and forget what Bateman did.

Does anybody know exactly what he did?

I feel like a member of the WDL here but how do you know your info is accurate?

I've heard what he's supposed to have done but I would have thought he would have been prosecuted by the police if it was true.

I haven't seen anywhere where it's said that will happen, unless someone can enlighten me.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

A few weeks off and a fine that the club might never collect is nothing of a punishment for the crime he's committed.

I'm no Cas or Huddersfield fan but at least they showed some integrity when one of their players transgressed against another of their players.

Maybe they were involved in part of the investigation and felt they could reconcile and move on?

I think it's easier to get over what has allegedly happened than it is someone giving your missus one behind your back and wrecking your family.

Depends what he's actually done. I'm assuming (Based on Mossop playing less than a week after the incident with no obvious facial wounds) that it was a fight rather than a glass been used.

If that is the case I doubt playing together will be that big an issue. I have a couple of friends who I have had a drunken fallout with back in our early 20's - which were forgotten about fairly quickly.

Obviously if it is something more serious than exchanging a few punches it may be a little more difficult. I think the nature of the Cas and Hudds incidents made it impossible for the players to continue playing together, for 2 blokes a fight is easier to get over then the deceit involved in having an affair with your wife.

Depends what he's actually done. I'm assuming (Based on Mossop playing less than a week after the incident with no obvious facial wounds) that it was a fight rather than a glass been used.

If that is the case I doubt playing together will be that big an issue. I have a couple of friends who I have had a drunken fallout with back in our early 20's - which were forgotten about fairly quickly.

Obviously if it is something more serious than exchanging a few punches it may be a little more difficult. I think the nature of the Cas and Hudds incidents made it impossible for the players to continue playing together, for 2 blokes a fight is easier to get over then the deceit involved in having an affair with your wife.

This.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Shall we start a separate thread of this nature for Saints players tonight?!?!

At least there should be a few thousand who saw what happened.

what?

See the Saints v Rovers match thread.

Archived