The TV Thread

9 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've been doing this since the start of the pandemic so I won't be able to remember everything but I'll list some. 

So top tier shows that have immediately become my favourites, we have stuff like Detectorists, which is my favourite show of all time, Plebs, which I went out and bought the boxset of, Derry Girls, Bluestone 42, Motherland and The Cleaner. 

Shows I enjoyed but probably won't bother watching again, we have stuff like, Uncle, Ladhood, Two Pints of Lagar and a Packet of Crisps, Gavin and Stacey, This Country, White Van Man. 

Shows I didn't particularly like include, Blackadder, Outnumbered, The Office, One Foot in the Grave, Our Flag Means Death, The Royle Family, The Witchfinder. 

And then of course there are shows that I already watched before I started this and like such as Not Going Out, the Inbetweeners, Vicar of Dibley, Peep Show and The Think of It to name some. 

Like I say, I'll have forgotten some shows so do forgive me if you mention something and I say I've already watched it. 

Edit. Just remembered Father Ted, my all time favourite show before watching Detectorists! How could I forget that?! 

If you like the cleaner with Greg Davies I thought Man Down was better especially the early series with Rik Mayall in. Maybe worth a look

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure who else is a fan, but I liked the silly/surreal Channel 4 comedy Nightingales enough to buy the DVD box set, back when it was full price.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've been doing this since the start of the pandemic so I won't be able to remember everything but I'll list some. 

So top tier shows that have immediately become my favourites, we have stuff like Detectorists, which is my favourite show of all time, Plebs, which I went out and bought the boxset of, Derry Girls, Bluestone 42, Motherland and The Cleaner. 

Shows I enjoyed but probably won't bother watching again, we have stuff like, Uncle, Ladhood, Two Pints of Lagar and a Packet of Crisps, Gavin and Stacey, This Country, White Van Man. 

Shows I didn't particularly like include, Blackadder, Outnumbered, The Office, One Foot in the Grave, Our Flag Means Death, The Royle Family, The Witchfinder. 

And then of course there are shows that I already watched before I started this and like such as Not Going Out, the Inbetweeners, Vicar of Dibley, Peep Show and The Think of It to name some. 

Like I say, I'll have forgotten some shows so do forgive me if you mention something and I say I've already watched it. 

Edit. Just remembered Father Ted, my all time favourite show before watching Detectorists! How could I forget that?! 

I enjoyed Man Like Mobeen more than I expected (BBC).

A colleague recommended Nathan Barley (C4), utter tripe. I didn't get on with it at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

I enjoyed Man Like Mobeen more than I expected (BBC).

A colleague recommended Nathan Barley (C4), utter tripe. I didn't get on with it at all.

The source material for Nathan Barley was written by Charlie Brooker as part of his TVGoHome website. The character was a black hole of narcissistic opportunist self-regard and the whole thing was a vicious satire of what have now come to be called "influencers".

The TV adaptation, on the other hand, was absolutely terrible. Badly written, badly cast and badly acted.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mrs. Goose has a really bad habit of talking almost constantly when I'm trying to watch a programme. Even when it is a programme she wants to watch she will still talk over it almost constantly, unbroken. At least once a day I have to tell her to shut up so we can watch a programme and she will do for a few minutes and then the rabbiting will start again.

I have started to become very passive aggressive with her, for example, when a presenter offers an interesting fact of stat but I don't hear it because of the rabbiting, I will casually ask Mrs. Goose whether she had caught what had been said and when she says she did not I will casually explain to her that it was because she was talking. I don't think she realises just how much she does it because she always seems a bit guilty and apologetic when I point it out but it just starts straight up again within minutes. It is very annoying. 

12 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Mrs. Goose has a really bad habit of talking almost constantly when I'm trying to watch a programme. Even when it is a programme she wants to watch she will still talk over it almost constantly, unbroken. At least once a day I have to tell her to shut up so we can watch a programme and she will do for a few minutes and then the rabbiting will start again.

I have started to become very passive aggressive with her, for example, when a presenter offers an interesting fact of stat but I don't hear it because of the rabbiting, I will casually ask Mrs. Goose whether she had caught what had been said and when she says she did not I will casually explain to her that it was because she was talking. I don't think she realises just how much she does it because she always seems a bit guilty and apologetic when I point it out but it just starts straight up again within minutes. It is very annoying. 

Mrs Spidey is the same. The pause button is a must 

13 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Headphones innit bruv.

Prepare your "Well I'VE never heard of him/her!" posts.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 23/08/2023 at 18:41, Futtocks said:

Prepare your "Well I'VE never heard of him/her!" posts.

if its not russ abbott or jimmy tarbuck then i have never heard of em 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 17/08/2023 at 16:46, ivans82 said:

Recommend comedies Phoenix Nights , Still Game and the magnificent Early Doors  from earlier post .

Superb, all three of them.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 17/08/2023 at 18:13, Futtocks said:

Not sure who else is a fan, but I liked the silly/surreal Channel 4 comedy Nightingales enough to buy the DVD box set, back when it was full price.

Happened across it by chance one evening and was immediately hooked. Probably the first time I noticed the brilliant David Threlfall.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

18 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Happened across it by chance one evening and was immediately hooked. Probably the first time I noticed the brilliant David Threlfall.

It is clearly a bare-bones budget job, and the plots barely hang together at times. Thematically, it ranged all over the place, from Shakespeare to knob gags, fourth wall breaks to werewolves.

But it looks like they really enjoyed making the show together.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm guessing that lawyers from the estate of Peter Sellers made a phone call at some point.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can tv crime documentaries please please please ban the use of the phrase ‘ everyone knows  everyone else ‘ when they’re talking about wherever the heinous crime is . It’s so trite and it gets thrown out endlessly at the start of the show , alongside what a lovely place it is ( where this awful murder has happened ) , and how the victim was the greatest person in the world 

Edited by DavidM

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Can tv crime documentaries please please please ban the use of the phrase ‘ everyone knows  everyone else ‘ when they’re talking about wherever the heinous crime is . It’s so trite and it gets thrown out endlessly at the start of the show , alongside what a lovely place it is ( where this awful murder has happened ) , and how the victim was the greatest person in the world 

Something similar to this that always gets me is when there has been a murder and news crews interview neighbours of the murderer and they always come out with something like, "i wouldn't have thought he would do anything like that, he was always such a friendly bloke". I'm just waiting for one where the neighbour says, "oh yeah, everyone round here knows what that weirdo gets up to, I'm surprised he wasn't caught earlier!" 

On 30/08/2023 at 14:38, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Something similar to this that always gets me is when there has been a murder and news crews interview neighbours of the murderer and they always come out with something like, "i wouldn't have thought he would do anything like that, he was always such a friendly bloke". I'm just waiting for one where the neighbour says, "oh yeah, everyone round here knows what that weirdo gets up to, I'm surprised he wasn't caught earlier!" 

The one that gets me is where the detectives have spent days trying to track the murderer down , arrive at the House , don`t send anyone round the back and the lad legs it out of the back door/window .Or worse still , track the bloke down get within 50 yards of him , shout "Police don`t move".....as you would ........lad legs it ......"sorry Guv He got away".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ivans82 said:

The one that gets me is where the detectives have spent days trying to track the murderer down , arrive at the House , don`t send anyone round the back and the lad legs it out of the back door/window .Or worse still , track the bloke down get within 50 yards of him , shout "Police don`t move".....as you would ........lad legs it ......"sorry Guv He got away".

You've just described The Bill perfectly.

Many years after first watching it (I used to download the episodes) we went through the first and only series of The Dresden Files on Freevee.

I thought it was even better than I remembered it and we enjoyed it tremendously. Worth a watch if you are into stuff with magic and the occult.

I must try the books at some point in the future. 

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg